Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271455
No new orders today 13101874
Stupid MLS comments. 3276740
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189494
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061201
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028226
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822760
Let's talk about our cars 671014
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602724
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592430
Most common items found at an REO 576041
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440750
Main Street 419463
asset val seminar in colorado 407197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340449
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306793
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65025 - 11/15/04 07:45 PM Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

Hi all,

I'm a future real estate agent and I would love to learn all I can about developing a strong real estate presence online. What is the best way to go about that? Where do I go to learn about it? Any classes or books I should get? Online class? I find myself lost just reading some of the conversations on here!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Mir - another hopeful RE agent in San Diego

Advertisements
#65026 - 11/15/04 07:54 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
CRMguru Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
just from my personal experience most people dont like the "personal messy agent" site, which most of them are, they would prefer a profesional looking site to search homes like realtor, homegains, etc.

say i would say keep it clean, REAL clean, and get your IDX link from your board.

Here is my OLD website, its the best i could do with what i had for free. My new one i spent 2k, its 80% flash, CLEAN, and only 9 pages to the whole site.
www.free-homeguides.com
(ps, this was before i completly change the site to homeconsulting, llc instead of "myself")

#65027 - 11/16/04 12:12 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Las Vegas Homes Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Just another piece of advice. Dont use Flash. Search engines have a hard time with flash and it will hurt you more than help.

Flash websites are very attractive but the search engine spiders dont like flash. Plus another disadvantage is load time with flash. Imagine going to a website and having to wait 60 sec or more for the site to load. Most consumers you have about 30 sec to catch their attention. If you havent by then, you just lost them.

#65028 - 11/16/04 12:33 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

And Flash, like audio, gets old after awhile. Good for first-time visitors but not returnees.

------------------

#65029 - 11/16/04 03:01 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

From what I gathered, the best method to building any website and hoping for success is to make a through plan of attack well before you actually start. I think most would agree that you would like to make your site Search engine friendly from the very beginning rather then "overhauling" it after you created it. It was good advice to keep it clean. I would also second the avoidance of flash and other such neat things. Clean and simple. I would say your hardest task would be finding your keywords to target and sticking to them. Use Overture, it's your friend. And content is always a plus, as for real estate utilities are usually a good replacement for content. I.E. mortage calculators - many of which can be found as free scripts to add in, real estate glossary's, and neighborhood profiles. If you can do all that and still keep your site simple and clean cut, have the IDX feed, your probably off to a great start.

Just my two cents.
~Matt

------------------

#65030 - 11/16/04 09:55 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Jade456 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Definitely limit flash. Also I think that the bigger the website, the better your chance of keeping the customer that shows up. The only cavat to that is have pages of good content, not pages for pages sake. A good example is the guy who has "printer friendly" pages for the his link exchange pages. Instead having pages on different developments, cities in your market, things to do, etc.

------------------
Visit the most comprehensive Las Vegas Real Estate and Henderson Real Estate website online. Or look at pictures of my Parrot

#65031 - 11/17/04 08:02 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

Thanks so much for your ideas. Considering I have very limited knowledge about creating a web site, are there any classes are easy-to-understand books to read? Or would I be better of just hiring someone to create it for me? If that is the case, how much does that normally run and where is the best place to look for that type of service? I also want to be able to update it myself. I don't want to rely on the webmaster to do it for me.

Thanks all!

Mir

#65032 - 11/17/04 09:03 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

With a question like that you are going to be getting a lot of posters making offers to you. Like me.

With regard to creating your own or getting someone to do it for you, you need to think about where you are going to be making your best money. Are you a really good sales person? Then you shouldn't be spending time in the office working on the website. Even if you have to pay quite a bit more than you could do it yourself, it is better to get it made for you.

Sorry...this part has to go. There are NO blatant solicitations allowed on this site.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rich@vtws (edited 11-18-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rich@vtws (edited 11-18-2004).]

#65033 - 11/18/04 02:30 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Rich@BAP/VTWS Offline

Loc: Poconos, PA
OK Everyone,
PLEASE lets lighten up on the solicitations. Put your site in your signature...participatre honestly and [eople will contact you if they are interested. Word to the wise...if someone from this board contacts you...you better deliver

------------------
Rich

#65035 - 11/20/04 11:31 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Jade456 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
There are quite a few companies that specialize on real estate sites. For your first site, you might want to consider one of those. Be prepared, they aren't cheap. Here's a short list of the top providers: advancedaccess.com, homes.com, point2.com, number1expert, and here of course! If you go to a personal webdesigner, you may or may not have better luck. I would definitely do some research, see examples of their work and where those site rank in the se's. But keep in mind that the webmaster of the site has quite a lot to do with that as well, mainly you'll need to know the tools available to you to create new content and update the site.

------------------
Visit the most comprehensive Las Vegas Real Estate , Summerlin Real Estate and Henderson Real Estate website online. Or look at pictures of my Parrot

#65036 - 11/22/04 07:56 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

Thanks for your ideas everyone. This is something I really need to do my research on. I appreciate you all heading me in the right direction.

Mir

#65037 - 11/29/04 08:44 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Slanoutlaw Offline

Loc: Missouri
Mir,

Not sure if you have made a decision yet but I think point2agents is still free and easy to use. I assist the new agents in my office in setting up their initial sites there. Free works and on a tight new budget, it is the right price.

J

#65038 - 11/29/04 02:14 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Las Vegas Homes Offline

Always remember one thing. Most consumers dont care about what you have for information on your site even though to have it available is important. Consumers only care about 2 things. Pictures and being able to search for homes.

The rest of the content you have on your website is really just fluff. I am sure that most real estate webmasters would admit that the most visited page on their real estate website is the home search page.

#65039 - 11/29/04 02:48 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
That is so true - just check any website logs. Although I wouldn't recommend this I have one client who cut his site down to just a couple of pages - the entry page and a Home Search form - no other info (not even about him) - and there was no drop in business.

The other pages are helpful to some of your existing clients etc. but for anyone who finds you on the web they are generally meanngless. Try and tell that to someone who just signed up for a site because they offer "hundreds of pages" though smile

Increase Your Search Positions By Building Your Brand Online And Offline

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

18 years as a practitioner of SEO.

#65040 - 11/29/04 02:53 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Just a quick followup - something I have been saying for years is that the most important thing about a Realtor's website is its search engine positioning. As long as it has good positioning and a Home Search form you will make money. You don't even need listings on the site. All the content and the design is meaningless if the site can't be found.

Proven effective Branded Content Marketing For Realtors - Exclusive Areas Available.

#65041 - 11/29/04 06:40 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Las Vegas Homes Offline

I agree one hundred percent with you Doug. I rememeber when I first came to you, young and dumb about real estate and the internet..lol you tired to tell me haha

Well I have personally seen it to many times now. SOME UGLY websites ranked number 1 making a ton of money. Goes to show you # 1 doesnt always mean the best.

#65042 - 11/30/04 07:29 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Your thirst for knowledge has served you well smile

froggiam - you show a thirst for knowledge also so I am sure you will do well in your future internet endeavors too. Just remember that you can't cross the bridges until you come to them - don't research forever. Sometimes you just have to do it and learn from your mistakes!

#65043 - 11/30/04 08:51 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Las Vegas Homes Offline

That is so true about mistakes. I have made a few and will admit it, but as long as you can learn from your mistakes and you will make some, you will do very well. The internet is just like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. Best Of Luck

#65044 - 12/04/04 03:05 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

Don't use frames! Frame-based websites are disliked by search engines and users alike. We recommend http://www.gridsix.com

And on the note of Flash: many search engines now index Flash content. If done right, Flash can be a pleasant addition to any web site.

#65045 - 12/04/04 03:21 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Rich@BAP/VTWS Offline

Hi raustin...
Please forgive this visit by the posting police smile
Your reccomendation for gridsix doesn't have anything to do with your relationship with them would it wink

In the furure...

If anyone wants to ask people to take a look at their product and why it's great, their iss a new forum for that but replying to posts without full disclosure is not allowed. smile

#65046 - 12/07/04 07:28 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Unregistered

Terribly sorry... So if I post in the appropriate section and then link to that post, we're cool?

#65047 - 12/07/04 07:48 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design?
Rich@BAP/VTWS Offline

Raustin,
Just posts any topics about your service that you would like to in one of the product forums so everything is above board and everyone knows what it is. We just like to keep things clear and keep the regular forums free of solicitations smile

#351075 - 09/11/10 06:25 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: doug]
LVVR Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
Learn HTML and CSS, but learn mostly CSS. PHP and SQL are great too.

#383176 - 07/16/11 08:05 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Dheeraj Offline

Loc: India
you are puting right step for your real estate business. I prefer to have website whose each and every keyword have its own targeted keyword so that it help visitor to easily find what he is searching also easy for you to target on search engine

#384228 - 07/24/11 04:59 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
BENEDICT Croatia Offline

Loc: Croatia
It is a lot of work to be competitive in such a demanding market like real estate. Working daily on promoting, linking and adding content is the only way to go.

#395019 - 11/18/11 07:37 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Leon FS Offline

Loc: WA
Have you thought about just buying a template and building a site on wordpress. I wouldn't become a subdirectory of a main site like Active Rain.

#396752 - 12/12/11 10:05 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: doug]
AiMiYo Offline

Loc: Bangkok Thailand
I say this as both an broker and a web developer. A pro site is well worth the money and will pay well over what you paid for it, if you get the correct firm. I have been doing this on my own much like the intro video to this forum states since around 1993. Long gone are the days of throwing up a few keywords and you are found. The competitiveness of the web today is extreme. Maybe create a well "informational" blog, but you should have a real web site worthy of the price tag of the items you sell. A good agent does not have the time to learn this quickly and it changes all the time. So do your self a HUGE favor invest in a professional company. I learned my lesson after many years so I finally created my own web company since many of my businesses are web based and hired people who know what they are doing. Free advice is what you pay for, and you get what you pay for in the end. With that said, I do learn from free advice but its not my mainstay. I am not trying to sell anything here as we are very busy and we are small, but the admin at the top is 100% correct--if you do not get found then you might as well not have a site. You can do some of your own SEO and we encourage our clients to do that. Yet today unless your a vet and keep up , you may never get off the ground and need a LOT of guidance.

Edited by AiMiYo (12/12/11 10:09 PM)

#400809 - 02/09/12 12:56 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
realyte Offline

Loc: CA, USA
You could learn to become a web designer, but it would be best if you would focus on your profession. I find that the people that most likely succeed become excellent in their own field.

#411024 - 08/08/12 10:45 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
ducourtier Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Quebec
If you are working with an existing template it can be modified easier than creating something from nothing. Most themes you purchase for wordpress come with documentation for modification.

#411288 - 08/14/12 02:13 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
savvymoney Offline

I heard about a new Adobe program called Muse. This program allows you for easy drag and drop for making a an effective site with half the time.

#413941 - 10/06/12 02:29 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Musa Opondo Offline

Loc: USA
I think you should give us more details about this program you are talking about.I can hardly understand the point you are putting across.

#414007 - 10/07/12 11:53 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Musa Opondo]
realwebs Offline

Loc: USA
Wow, this thread started in 2004 and it is still going. Would be nice to hear from people that started it in 2004.

Anybody still here?

#414211 - 10/10/12 03:23 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Oakland Homes Offline

Loc: Oakland, Ca US
I think the best way to lear to is check out forums like REW and others that have webmasters and pros who share a lot of great info. Forums are great for that.

#433030 - 02/14/14 08:07 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
MyCupOfTea Offline

Loc: Arizona
As a new agent with no experience in Web design or search engine optimization I would recommend that you find a good custom Web Designer and let them help you. You need more that Building a Website 101 and SEO for Dummies to create a successful Web presence.

#434132 - 03/16/14 10:56 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Waterview Offline

Loc: Panama City Beach Florida
If there is a class, book, or guide to agents developing good websites; I have yet to find it. I would recommend starting small. Get a little wordpress blog and write some basic articles about your area. Keep in mind that you can use this in the future to create links to your website if you do it right. Most of all it is just going to get your feet wet.
Now you need a domain name, a good one. Find out the search phrase or phrases that your target customers will be using. You may want to incorporate that into the domain name you register.
From this point I would recommend starting with a canned solution from one of the real estate agent IDX website providers. This will get you off the ground with a website you can use quickly. You will, once again, learn a lot. Want some recommendations? Ask me for them.
Look at other successful websites doing what you want to do.
Always have original content
Create a site that will allow you to use it as a resource when you have customers on the phone. If it works for that, it works for everything. This will also help you create great content for your website.
You are going to do pay per click to get traffic. This will also be a learning experience.
Once you are successful at everything above you are going to start to look at SEO and potentially creating a site from the ground up.

#437061 - 06/23/14 01:05 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Meenakshi Sharma Offline

Loc: Haryana > Gurgaon
Using Flash is really not Search Engine friendly. We try to minimize it any new website to make it more Search Engine Friendly. I've bookmarked your site for future reference. Keep it up.

#437109 - 06/24/14 07:05 PM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
Mike Vali Offline

Loc: Colorado,USA

you can also check out the current ratio of market Definitely limit flash I think that the bigger the website, the better your chance of keeping the customer that shows up. The only that is have pages of good content, not pages for pages sake.
pages. pages on different developments, cities in your market, things to do.

#439389 - 09/24/14 03:20 AM Re: Best way to learn about RE website design? [Re: Guest]
JasonBurcham5643 Offline

Loc: lawa, des Moines
The best way to learn more about real state is to read more about real state, ask question from experts on forums and on other sources etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 73
Vermont 40
estatereal 15
Trouble 15
Flare616 13
RonnieEmz 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 9