Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28449853
No new orders today 13134363
Stupid MLS comments. 3337854
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1223944
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099843
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054565
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843185
Let's talk about our cars 696238
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621585
Most common items found at an REO 614598
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612011
REOTRANS 460319
EML 459235
Main Street 441398
asset val seminar in colorado 421135
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352269
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327522
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72009 - 01/01/05 09:12 AM Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Kevin McMahon Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Welcome to the new Home Inspection Forum. Realtors, home buyers/sellers feel free to ask questions regarding the home inspection industry from some experienced home inspectors throughout the country.
Home inspectors, feel free to ask questions of Realtors regarding anything related to home inspection, or offer your advice to any post in here.

Rememer that this forum is searchable by the entire public.You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law....

We hope you will find this forum helpful.

Advertisements
#72010 - 04/21/05 10:32 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
FLREALTOR1 Offline

Loc: COCOA, FLORIDA
I believe everyone has their horror stories about inspectors who have caused contract problems. that being said, when you select and inspector that has E & O insurance, you have a better chance of a good inspection.

#72011 - 04/21/05 10:49 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Russel Ray Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I would definitely agree with you.

#72012 - 06/14/05 12:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Tony Hipps Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Russel,
I am surprised that you agree with that. E&O insurance has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the inspector is competent. E&O only serves to protect the incompetent. The same protection can be achieved with a thorough inspection. And to give the realtor peace of mind a "hold harmless" clause should be included in the contract.

#72013 - 06/14/05 02:46 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Russel Ray Offline

Since I am human, there is always the possibility that even my most thorough home inspection will have an error or omission, perhaps from something as simple as leaving a default paragaph in the report when it has no bearing on the property.

My E&O insurance with Realtor Indemnity protects everyone involved--me, Client, and Realtor. As I like to tell my Clients, my E&O insurance protects both you from me and me from me.

Perhaps if I were working in South Texas where I grew up, I might believe diffeently. But here in San Diego, where a 640 SF shack in a bad part of town on 641 SF of land goes for $500,000, I really don't believe that my million/million E&O policy is adequate. Unfortunately, that's the maximum I've been able to find.

Since I do several $5-$10 million mansions each year, I would carry $5 million/$10 million E&O insurance if it were offered.

Where I work, I consider one to be a poor businessperson if one is working in the home inspection industry without E&O insurance, GL insurance, ADD insurance, life insurance, and workers' comp insurance. Just my own business protocols.

I also use my insurance as a marketing advantage against my competition. Insurance is not expensive, and since I'm not the least expensive home inspector, I don't mind telling my Clients, many of whom are price shopping (and I don't have any problem with price shoppers--I'm a home inspector working with all people), why I carry insurance and how that overhead affects my prices. I have never lost a price shopper once I explain insurance.

I also personally don't believe that it is the thorough inspection that will keep one out of court and, ergo, prevent use of one's E&O insurance. I believe education is much more important than the actual inspection results or report itself.

#72014 - 06/14/05 03:49 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Tony Hipps Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Russel- I agree that everyone makes mistakes. I use to carry E&O insurance but now I do not. Where you are at it probably is a good business decision. Where I am at it is not. If you have been in the profession very long you know that this has been a continuing debate among inspectors for years. My area is saturated with ambulance chasing lawyers and E&O is a bullseye that says "Look at me, I have deep pockets"! I have lost a couple of inspections because of this. But since I do not rely on referals for my inspections (all of my inspections are from word of mouth from past clients)it doesn't matter in my case as far as marketing. If an agent has a problem with it I explain that I have a hold harmless clause in my contract that protects all parties not associated with the inspection company from any E&O's. Once I explain this they usually don't have a problem with it.

#72015 - 06/15/05 06:00 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum
Russel Ray Offline

Hold harmless clauses generally don't work unless all parties sign the contract holding all parties harmless. That generally isn't done. Too many courts have ruled that Party A (in this case, Buyer) and Party B (in this case, Inspector) cannot agree to hold harmless Party C (in this case, Realtor) unless Party C is a party to the contract, which they never are here in San Diego. That's the reason for buying E&O insurance with a Realtor Indemnity clause.

#183715 - 11/28/07 03:27 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: Russel Ray]
ThomsonAlliance Offline

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
I really find that hard to understand that people do choose uncertified and uninsured Inspectors to do the inspection to try and save $50-00.

Thomson Alliance

Home Inspectors Inspection Hawaii, Oahu
http://www.thomsonalliance.com
http://www.myspace.com/hawaiihomeinspector

Thomson Alliance

Home Inspectors Inspection Hawaii, Oahu
www.thomsonalliance.com
www.myspace.com/hawaiihomeinspector

#272556 - 01/30/09 05:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: Kevin McMahon]
rollito1 Offline

Loc: east contra costa ca.
I'm doing property preservation for quite sometime for couple of brokers in my area and I'm a registered contractor for Ocwen.
Until ocwen asked me if I wanted to do property inspection and preservation for them. Well, after submitting them all the requirements, finally they said I will start receiving orders soon. My question is How come they only give those initial inspections? Is it normal for a newcomer not getting any reo/bpo's?
I'm not sure if I can continue inspecting house for $6.00 with pics and all the paperwork’s. Any advice from Ocwen contractors?
Thanks in advance!

#272569 - 01/30/09 06:36 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: rollito1]
JustFixIt Offline

Loc: Washington State
Not a pro on Ocwen, as we just signed up as contractors today.

That being said, It is my understanding that the realtor finds contractors on the site by location, and that the site ranks contractors by various criteria (orders fulfilled, time lines met, etc). The higher the ranking, the closer to the top of the list you will be.

The site had me as confused as anything earlier, which is how I somehow ended up here (Thanks Google)- looking for Ocewen answers myself!

Are you seriously doing home inspections for $6.00?! Something is very wrong there IMO. Hope you figure it all out, and best of luck to you.

#272643 - 01/31/09 02:16 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: JustFixIt]
rollito1 Offline

Loc: east contra costa ca.
Well, they call it initial inspection if the house is empty or not, take a picture thats it. if it's vacant, then you start doing another inspection for preservation, from securing the property, trash out and interior repairs.
but for the last few months now, all they giving are pre forclosure which is 95% are occupied, they said I will start receiving REO inspection also which is 95% are vacant.
I guess I'll stick around for a while, they might start trowing me some bones one of this day.
btw. thanks for the reply.

#460900 - 03/15/18 10:54 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: Kevin McMahon]
Jc78607 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thinking of getting into the home inspection business in San Diego. Should I sign up as a franchisee or should I start my own business and do all of my own marketing and business plan. Any tips on what the market is like?

#460901 - 03/15/18 11:51 AM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: Kevin McMahon]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Who do you expect to be marketing to . . . . in other words, who do you think your decision making audience is; Bankers, Brokers, possible selling Owners, or potential Buyers ?

#460902 - 03/15/18 01:38 PM Re: Welcome to the Home Inspection Forum [Re: Vermont]
Jc78607 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I am thinking of joining with a company called HomeTeam and becoming a franchise. They provide marketing tools, business plan, etc. The goal would be to get in with banks, real estate agents, etc and to do residential homes. Thanks for quick reply. Curious as to what the market is like there right now as well. Where I am now there is a huge shortage for legitimate home inspectors.
Will most likely target brokers first.

Edited by Jc78607 (03/15/18 01:42 PM)

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 34
Vermont 17
kirastan 15
estatereal 12
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 8
Mr. Clean 6
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6