Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28523652
No new orders today 13144276
Stupid MLS comments. 3358957
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1234994
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107568
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062278
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850486
Let's talk about our cars 702344
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627607
Most common items found at an REO 625220
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618003
REOTRANS 466360
EML 459235
Main Street 448808
asset val seminar in colorado 425356
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356037
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331473
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#460706 - 02/20/18 11:46 AM Old Mine on Property - Increased Value?
kyle_flory Offline

Loc: Idaho
Hello!

First post on this website. I have piece of vacant land I might list, it's 14 acres of hill side with a decent slope. It has a road going up to what could be a building site with some excavation. The cool part of this property is there is an old mine from the early 1900s. They believe it was a silver mine. It's inactive now, but you can walk back in there, it's about 80 ft deep and ranges anywhere from 5-7 ft in height, you can walk to the back. There is also fresh water in the back.

My question is, what kind of value do you think a mine would add to the property? Not for someone to actually mine in it, thinking more of unique uses for it, wine cellar, redoubters, etc.. I don't think there is anything else like it in our market, any ideas?

Advertisements
#460708 - 02/20/18 11:03 PM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: kyle_flory]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
How did you acquire this Parcelit . . . . and did you have a Title Search performed (or a Title Abstract pulled) BEFORE you bought it just to make sure that some prior Owner didn't retain the Mineral Rights while still selling the overriding surface Land ?

I've had to deal with some of these, and to clear the retained "mineral rights" issue, the Buyer had to agree to share any profits that might be obtained by engaging in any future mining or mineral exploitation on the subject property . . . . a fairly costly legal matter.

PS: And hopefully, that "Mine" doesn't present a serious Liability Hazard, or serve as a known "Attractive Nuisance" which you may be wise to insure against; a concern most people can usually ignore with vacant property.

#460710 - 02/21/18 09:04 AM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: Vermont]
kyle_flory Offline

Thank you for your response. Sorry, I should have clarified better, I don't have a property I might list, there is a property I might list smile A client of mine owns it. I don't think he's marketing it as a mine that you can actually mine deeper and find silver. Just as a inactive mine that could be used for other purposes. I just think it is unique and should add value to the property, I just have no idea how to quantify that value..

#460719 - 02/22/18 04:47 AM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: kyle_flory]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: kyle_flory
Just as a inactive mine that could be used for other purposes. I just think it is unique and should add value to the property, I just have no idea how to quantify that value..
Hi Kyle -- once you go over all of Vermont's points with your client, you only have 1 way to value it: Find an appraiser or broker in your part of the world that sold a similar property and compare that sale price to other comparable properties (adjusted for location, financing, terms of sale, etc.) to see if there was a contributory value for the mine.

Listing the property without knowing that contributory value could put you at risk of a complaint to the Real Estate Board, or, worse, a lawsuit.

You may want to check with your broker to see if an appraisal is needed to establish the contributory value of the mine. That way nobody is risking anything, you have a listing priced to sell, and the seller gets to make an informed decision.

#460723 - 02/22/18 06:06 AM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: Long Walk]
kyle_flory Offline

Thank you! That's great advice.

#460745 - 02/25/18 07:54 AM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: kyle_flory]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
If they dug one mine, they dug several so be careful on the property that you don't find an abandoned mine by accident. Best to hire an expert to examine the land, note the abandoned mines and cap them if they're still open.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#460749 - 02/25/18 11:02 PM Re: Old Mine on Property - Increased Value? [Re: kyle_flory]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
A property like the Mine can sit vacant (or idle) for decades, and then you put a FOR SALE sign on it and SUDDENLY it becomes a curiosity feature in the environment. Everyone thinks that the Listing and your Advertising automatically gives them some kind of PassPort to go wandering around on the parcel and investigate every nook and cranny. That's when accidents occur.

Forewarned is forearmed . . . . you've got to do your due diligence.

Regarding the pricing . . . . it depends how you play it. For some people, it will be worth more due to the Mine; For others, it will be worth a lot less.

I'd study the history of this parcel and any surrounding mining activity. Is there Zoning in that Town, and what current environmental concerns would inhibit a future Buyer's use of the land. Any slag remaining that requires clean up by the Owner ?

And remember to do your research and analysis FIRST because it's next to impossible to start low and then "try" to raise the price later.

PS: I once had a 49 Acre Gold Mine lot listed, which sounded good on paper; but it sold for hardly more than the Timber Value. It was the "Nest Egg" for a Preacher Man who distributed Gideon Bibles around the Country to Hotels and Motels . . . . and he had a premonition that it would allow him to retire rich; but it didn't work out that way !

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
JayR, RichPoorBlocks, silex, Kelli, dayanne
30186 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (estatereal, Mr. Clean), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 20
Trouble 16
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 9
newagent2028 8
HChomat 7
Bigtoe 5
Mr. Clean 5
silex 5