Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28357208
No new orders today 13124365
Stupid MLS comments. 3313041
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208693
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1083405
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043612
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836609
Let's talk about our cars 682950
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 615299
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 604070
Most common items found at an REO 595196
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449501
Main Street 435308
asset val seminar in colorado 415754
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 347343
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317655
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#460269 - 01/08/18 02:11 PM Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent?
derralynj Offline

Loc: GA, US
Hello. I work full time and I'm considering getting my real estate license. My goal is to be able to resign from my current job within a year, but I don't know how realistic that is. What can I expect as a new, part-time agent? Would I need to spend a lot of money advertising, driving to various locations to show homes? What else can you tell me about being a part-time agent.

Advertisements
#460270 - 01/08/18 02:23 PM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: derralynj]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I'll have to think about writing up a ton of things (later) as it's more time-consuming. Part-time for a year? I'd suggest 'partnering' with an experienced full-time agent (payment can be a percentage of any commissions you earn or whatever you both agree to). Learning part-time until you retire in a year, you would get some experience and you'd also have a 'partner' who could take care of details that you can't do during your M-F, 8-5 full time job. There's ALOT that goes on during the M-F, 8-5 workday and unless your current employer allows you to take personal/vacation time to do the real estate items that HAVE to be done during M-F, 8-5, you're going to need a partner. Just a general, perfect example is your real estate market is hot and properties only stay on the market one day (not even the full 24 hours). A new listing appears and your buyers NEED to see the house now, at 9:00am. We've all experienced that happening and by 5pm, that property has an accepted offer and the seller 'just' signed the contract. Your buyers will be ticked if you can't get away from your part-time job. Inspections are nearly always done M-F, 8-5. You need to be there for those, etc. Real estate fires (I call 'problems' that) happen any time during the day. You need to be able to handle those FAST. I'd strongly suggest partnering up with an experienced full time agent. Yes, it's gonna cost you perhaps 50% of any commission you earn in sharing it with your partner, but, you're gonna protect yourself AND your buyers in doing so.

#460315 - 01/10/18 06:05 PM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: derralynj]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with VABroker.

Plus... you'll get to learn the business while still having the money flow in. You have to learn the business if you want it to succeed.

#460317 - 01/10/18 07:04 PM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: David Hunter]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: David Hunter
". . . You have to learn the business if you want it to succeed . . ."

Can't you succeed first and learn later . . . . if required ?

#460323 - 01/11/18 08:18 AM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: Vermont]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Vermont
My sense is that the typical agent fails in their first year because they don't learn the business. Instead, they go to what they think is low-hanging fruit: friends and family sales. The problem comes after working in that space until it is tapped out, and then having no other business because there was no effort invested to learn to prospect, price property, and list.

My first broker did me a really good service by keeping me out of the 'friends and family' work and encouraging me to cold-call and door-knock. He also affirmed consistently that you have to 'list to last'.

Those are ideas I consider as foundational to success in real estate brokerage. Without them, I'm not sure there can be anything like long-term success.

Naturally, there will be 27 different opinions, but that is the fun of chat forums. laugh

#460362 - 01/13/18 03:45 PM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: Vermont]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Vermont
Originally Posted By: David Hunter
". . . You have to learn the business if you want it to succeed . . ."

I guess it's possible, but why start off on the wrong foot? Make a solid foundation to build off of.

#460374 - 01/15/18 12:01 PM Re: Can I work fulltime and be a successful agent? [Re: derralynj]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
agents need to learn how to generate business and have reading comprehension and common sense....if you can do that you will succeed...so, lets assume you can comprehend logical events and read a contract..........and now lets say you have common sense......

how many clients do you need to close to make x commission ?
where will you get x clients?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
locknmore, cdefgh120303, The Legacy Team, starfish11040, mannycro80
29912 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Long Walk), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 46
Vermont 24
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
jreal413 9
The Legacy Team 7
MissionJoe 7