Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28269339
No new orders today 13101742
Stupid MLS comments. 3276643
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189415
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061105
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028116
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822581
Let's talk about our cars 670945
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602695
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592369
Most common items found at an REO 575889
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440725
Main Street 419405
asset val seminar in colorado 407144
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340432
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306760
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459759 - 11/12/17 02:49 PM Would It Be Illegal To Prospect..
Logan Five Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Would it be illegal to doorknock for seller leads BEFORE you get your license ? It's not against the law to contact people you know for leads.

I am in California. I figure that RE school is going to take 90 days, so those seller leads that are hot will have a waiting period of 30, 60, 90 days when they are ready to list.

Thoughts,

Advertisements
#459760 - 11/12/17 03:41 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Logan Five]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
What does the California Bureau of Real Estate think about that idea ?

I think (and it doesn't matter what I think) that you're playing fast and loose with the Regulations, and the BRE won't look kindly upon it.

Probably a wiser approach would be to get a License first.

#459761 - 11/12/17 04:12 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Vermont]
Logan Five Offline

Originally Posted By: Vermont
What does the California Bureau of Real Estate think about that idea ?

I have no clue.

In a different industry, I worked as a Sales Asst for a local investment broker/stockbroker, and my job was to cold call leads via telephone. I called all day and the people who were interested in receiving info about a certain investment, I gave to the licensed broker for follow up.

I didn't need a license to do that.

I don't see why I can't doorknock, I am just finding out who's interested in selling.

I'll call the BRE and find out for sure. Thanks for your input !

Logan,

#459762 - 11/12/17 06:08 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Logan Five]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Logan Five

In a different industry, I worked as a Sales Asst for a local investment broker/stockbroker, and my job was to cold call leads via telephone. I called all day and the people who were interested in receiving info about a certain investment, I gave to the licensed broker for follow up.

I didn't need a license to do that.

When you worked for the stockbroker, my guess is that you told prospects that you worked for his company. Your script and all of your actions would have been covered by his E&O and by his compliance management protocols. In real estate brokerage, you will be, in almost every case, an independent contractor, which means you may have to provide your own E&O. So, you likely won't have the covering that you had in stock brokerage work.

The problem is that you are going to have to tell people what company you work for when you go door-knocking. Since you are not licensed, you very likely won't be able to say that you work for a brokerage. CA may allow this, but I would be amazed because you will start getting information from prospects that should be kept confidential and you won't have a way to initiate a client relationship so as to maintain confidentiality. Depending on how the laws of agency work in CA, you may have to discuss agency at the time that the prospect begins disclosing confidential information. So, for that reason, you may need to be licensed to prospect.

The CA RE Commission will clarify all of this, but this is just my opinion reading your posts.

#459764 - 11/12/17 09:00 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Long Walk]
Logan Five Offline

Ok..I am going to wait to get my license. You convinced me lol.

#459766 - 11/13/17 05:24 AM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Logan Five]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
For what its worth, Logan, I think you will do great when you get started. Have you been reading in the cold calling thread?

#459772 - 11/13/17 02:47 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Logan Five]
Logan Five Offline

In my 30's I was a real estate agent, I am 53 now and looking to get back in the business. I did some of Mike Ferry's scripts when I was prospecting and did get some business from it. But, I didn't stick with it and started working with buyers and lost my focus.

I found Kevin Ward on youtube and he motivated me to get back in the business. I have a strong sales background and don't want to run out of money when I don't have any deals.

I'll check out the cold calling area of this message board. My real problem will be the technology that we didn't have 20 years ago.

I have other questions, but will leave that for another time.

Best,

#459776 - 11/13/17 09:18 PM Re: Would It Be Illegal To Prospect.. [Re: Logan Five]
DJM Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Logan, I like your spunk. You’ll do great once you get licensed. Good luck!

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Venturepacific), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 13
Snapple 12
RonnieEmz 12
Logan Five 11
Lucky Leonardo 11