Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267633
No new orders today 13101593
Stupid MLS comments. 3276536
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189278
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061064
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028055
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822472
Let's talk about our cars 670855
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602671
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592251
Most common items found at an REO 575767
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440702
Main Street 419363
asset val seminar in colorado 407126
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340414
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306735
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459619 - 11/01/17 10:28 AM New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful?
coxmg Offline

Loc: brooklyn, ny
I am thinking about a career change into real estate just for a change of scenery and to make more than my current IT job. I am a mid career guy, i also hold an MBA degree but this probably only somewhat helpful for real estate. I currently reside in Brooklyn and formerly Manhattan for about the past 10 years. Is this an easy or possible field to break into? Also what are some good firms to start out with? I know training and also probably foot traffic at the firm does make a difference.

Thanks,
Coxmg

Advertisements
#459625 - 11/01/17 05:53 PM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: coxmg]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Hi Coxmg -- welcome to the site.

There are some folks who work in NYC who can give you solid counsel on how to get started.

My question reading your post is whether you would be comfortable in a commission venture. That is a far cry from what appears to be W-2 work in your post.

Also, are you considering residential or commercial? The MBA won't be much help in the residential sphere, but could be a real asset in commercial.

#459640 - 11/02/17 09:52 AM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: Long Walk]
coxmg Offline

Sounds good! the plan is to do residential part-time and see how it goes. im actually lucky enough to where i have a part-time job where i work a double shift 1 day a week so that leaves me with 6 other days worth of time to find something else.

Any agents online want to help me out? would appreciate contact info offline thanks.

#459642 - 11/02/17 10:18 AM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: coxmg]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: coxmg
". . . Any agents online want to help me out? . . ."

I wouldn't expect any help from anyone within the 5 Boroughs; it's a dog-eat-dog business out there.

Actually, RE is dog-eat-dog everywhere; it's just that no sane person is going to help their direct competition.

Edited by Vermont (11/02/17 11:30 AM)

#459644 - 11/02/17 11:23 AM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: Vermont]
coxmg Offline

there must be some firms with training programs for guys like me lol

#459669 - 11/05/17 07:40 AM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: coxmg]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I'm sure there are; but carefully read their Independent Contractor Agreements before signing it because separating after they have invested in your training will typically be made very painful for you.

They don't exist to serve as educational institutions just to train their competition.

#459675 - 11/05/17 04:53 PM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: coxmg]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire

Listen carefully to what Vermont is telling you. Then, really think about why anyone would train you on their dime.

So, what is it that you need training in? Sales? There are courses you can buy for that. Basic real estate practices and procedures? You will learn much of that in your licensing classes that you pay for. Contract-writing? Property showing? Listing? That is advice that your broker will give you as you start producing.

To be successful, you have to get out of the employee mindset and adopt the business-owner attitude.

So, now, help us help you. Have you taken any licensing classes? Have you made any investment in sales training? What are you willing to do to be successful? Have you read in the cold-calling thread? Are you willing to be that disciplined?

#459696 - 11/07/17 03:23 PM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: Long Walk]
coxmg Offline

Thanks a lot, yes i figure it must be a good idea to get in with the right firm ahead of time. Should it be a small one or a large one? ive seen some real estate offices in Brooklyn where im sure they dont get much foot traffic in the door on a given day and i bet the # of deals they do is miniscule.

So maybe what i really need is advice on what firms i should apply to first off? Firm must allow both sales and rentals as i want to start off with rentals as the commissions are faster to get. you probably know that apartment rentals in NYC are done by real estate agents a lot of landlords dont deal directly with tenant applications. Secondly i need a firm that will allow me to work part-time in real estate and flexibility to do my other part-time job too, if commissions are good ill switch into full time. Are there any firms that i should avoid? I need all varieties of training since i have minimal background in sales.

Heres a question for you, are most leads generated by the firm or by me personally? more than likely ill be using heavy online advertising as i have a background in IT and ecommerce and web development versus cold calling.

I have not done any licensing training, more than likely ill try to get that online, but is that paid for by the firm or by me independently?

Thanks,
Coxmg

#459697 - 11/07/17 03:52 PM Re: New York City or Brooklyn real agent - how hard is it to become successful? [Re: coxmg]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

". . . I have not done any licensing training, more than likely ill try to get that online, but is that paid for by the firm or by me . . ."

In general, that's paid for by you; but as I'm sure you've heard many times before, every office is independently owned and operated, so there could be exceptions.

A Brokerage doesn't really want to invest its money in someone who hasn't yet even shown enough interest or motivation to at least obtain the required Pre-Licensing Education or succeeded in passing the New York and Inter-State Real Estate Examinations; but there could be exceptions.

Those exams have been shown to weed out the majority of aspiring Agents BEFORE Brokers have to deal with any of them. After that, reimbursement is whatever is documented or offered within that Firm's Independent Contractor Agreement and/or whatever can be sweet-talked out of them.

Remember, you're called an "Independent" Contractor for a reason; and you don't want to come across as being worried too much about nickel and diming the system for everything . . . . that's never a good sign !

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m, 995junk
29793 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 66 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 80
Vermont 41
estatereal 20
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Mr. Clean 11
Logan Five 11