Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270499
No new orders today 13101803
Stupid MLS comments. 3276678
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189456
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061165
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028152
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822615
Let's talk about our cars 670983
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602704
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592402
Most common items found at an REO 575990
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440738
Main Street 419439
asset val seminar in colorado 407151
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340441
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306773
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459384 - 10/15/17 03:24 PM Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative)
joesellsre Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Hello all, I'm a new agent. I've always been a political person and have never hid from the fact that I am conservative and yes a Trump supporter. I am open about this on social media. I thought about it and asked for a few friends opinions on whether or not I should continue to discuss politics and my activism or stop. A few friends told me that by actually having a brand as the conservative christian realtor guy that I would galvanize support in that niche. While others told me I'm alienating 50-65% of the population in my area and if they were to find out my beliefs I am at risk of losing business.

I guess my question is how big a deal do you think this is? I know an agent who I'm friends with who is very left leaning and even got arrested at a recent protest and has it all over his social media. He consistently makes six figures and doesn't seem to be hurting for business.

Just curious on your thoughts on how bad for business it could be and or good for business?

Advertisements
#459385 - 10/15/17 04:03 PM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: joesellsre]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Just have the most knowledge and the best Listings and leave your political baggage and religion at home.

#459421 - 10/18/17 04:40 PM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: joesellsre]
Tex Offline

Loc: TX
I consider myself conservative as well. However, I keep that to myself in all aspects of business and forum participation in my local area where I am not anonymous.

One of my best sales in the past year was to a Democrat. He had a political sticker on his auto is show I knew. If I had banged the drum for Trump he may have used another Realtor. Another example I'm aware of is a local grocery store that has a very strict policy of no political signs on their store. They said that potentially half their customers could decide to trade elsewhere.

#459423 - 10/19/17 05:44 AM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: joesellsre]
JohnN Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm fairly conservative but I find myself working with a lot of young Millennials who tend to be on the liberal side.
I like to "friend" my clients on Facebook, to keep in contact with them, so I leave politics out of my social media posts.

#459440 - 10/20/17 05:39 AM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: joesellsre]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: joesellsre
A few friends told me that by actually having a brand as the conservative christian realtor guy that I would galvanize support in that niche. While others told me I'm alienating 50-65% of the population in my area and if they were to find out my beliefs I am at risk of losing business. ...(snip) ... He consistently makes six figures and doesn't seem to be hurting for business.

As has been said, generally business doesn't mesh well with personal beliefs about politics or religion. I, too, am a conservative-leaning Christian. I have become persuaded that those conversations don't help me in business for a few reasons: 1) it is too easy to offend someone who disagrees, no matter how slightly, and 2) it is too hard to find agreement on all points in a debated issue, whether political or religious. That said, a few clients have become friends over the years, but it is difficult to do because the purpose for the relationship was business and not personal.

There will always be someone who can make six figures doing things entirely their own way. The majority of people, I have found, can't do that. I try not to plan based on the performance of an outlier.

But, you may well be one of those who can do this easily. You know yourself best and already have a good sense of what you can and likely can not do. Talk any way that seems right to you and prospect like crazy. And enjoy the ride!

#459443 - 10/20/17 09:00 AM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: joesellsre]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
In business, it's often hard to keep personal OPINIONS concealed. I have my own thoughts on many subjects; but unless I'm being paid to convince someone else of the rightness of my way of thinking, then it's usually best for my pocketbook to just listen and keep my positions to myself.

Apparently, this requires more discipline than many people are willing to invest, and I've seen many Agents expose way, way too much about themselves . . . . to the point of angering some of their Clients and Customers. Maybe they don't have enough outlets for justifying their thoughts in private life, and thus need to publicly announce to the world how they have arrived at the "right-thought" !

Here in Vermont Real Estate, and even without even venturing onto the minefields of Politics or Religion, it's almost impossible to appear be open minded dealing with:

Active Game Hunters and Vegetarians;

Windmill Alternative Energy Supporters and Skyline View Preservers;

GMO supporters and our growing Vegan population;

Noisey Snowmobilers and the Quiet Cross-Country Skiers;

Beaver Trappers and those who value Wetlands Inundation;

Noisey Outboard WaterSkier and JetSki enthusiasts versus Canoers, Kayakers and quiet contemplaters;

Timber Loggers versus Forest Conservationists;

Gays and Straights and who's transitioning.

I'm glad God gave us two (2) Ears and only one (1) Mouth . . . . I've learned to keep my mouth shut until I know who I'm dealing with, how strongly they feel about their positions and and even discipline myself to avoid pointing out the contradictions in their overall belief patterns . . . . I can't be on the right side of every issue for everyone !

Besides, no one really cares what I think anyway, and I don't need their approval . . . . so why bother to reveal anything just so I can be alienated ?

What's your opinion . . . . because, whatever it is, I'm probably going to agree with you; at least while we're doing business.

#459451 - 10/20/17 02:23 PM Re: Posting About Politics on Social Media / Activism? (Conservative) [Re: Vermont]
MOMO Offline

Loc: USA
I no longer get involved in online political discussions especially on Facebook....I deleted a whole bunch of "friends" after the most recent election and there is almost zero drama on my FB page now.
Just my opinion but I think political discussions will do more harm than good for your business.
I am also an avid firearms collector/hunter and another "opinion" that I won't participate in.
I have been on several episodes of a "nationally televised TV real estate show" and I know that the producers have monitored my FB page and I have signed a "be nice" contract with them smile

Edited by MOMO (10/20/17 02:28 PM)

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (OverTheEdge, 2 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 39
estatereal 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Lucky Leonardo 11
Logan Five 11