Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
Realtors residuals

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
simon94bob 31
RPR 26
Trouble 18
Vermont 17
Midlands BPO Guy 15
Z06Fanatic 13
Lucky Leonardo 13
estatereal 11
Mr. Clean 10
sualk54 6
RonnieEmz 6
leaf fan 5
RingRing 5
Daniel1234 5
Bigtoe 5
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#458975 - 09/04/17 03:10 PM Aspiring newbie here need advice
Victor Petrenko Offline

Loc: Greater NYC
Hello all,
I just moved to Jersey City my wife is active duty military so we will be 2-3 years here and are planning to move to Miami after(unless things go Really well here of course). I worked in the luxury cruise market previously and I was a top producer averaging $3.5 mil in sales annually. I want to do real esate and have been struggling to find a decent sales job. My question is do you think it's even worth it to get a real esate license if we might move in 2-3 years? Also I have been doing some research and I already can tell I don't want to work for KW etc I rather work for a small boutique agency that offers leads with a smaller split. I know in any sales job leads are crucial so if you have any recommendations about a brokerage I would love to hear them! If I am forced to work for a brokerage that does not offer leads is there something I can do to generate leads? I'm looking at maybe marketing on zillow will this be viable with about $500 per month and does it generate any decent leads? Also does it matter to get a NY or NJ license which one should I go for? I appreciate any input and want to make sure I make the right decisions and not end up quitting 6 mo later because I can't generate leads or produce any sales. Also I don't know anyone here and have no network if that matters. So this is my predicament and I would love some advice!

Advertisements
#458976 - 09/05/17 05:53 AM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Victor Petrenko]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Since you're now a Resident of New Jersey, start studying to take the New Jersey Real Estate Exam and the National.

Get that initial License under your belt and then you can add another State later; be it New York or Florida or Alabama . . . . most States have reciprocal agreements allowing you to avoid having to repeat the National Exams. The Laws, Rules and Regulations are similar from State to State . . . . but there are important differences, which you must know.

If you're now a Resident of New Jersey, why does your profile read NYC ?

#458981 - 09/05/17 10:15 AM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Vermont]
Victor Petrenko Offline

Greater NYC includes jersey city

#458983 - 09/05/17 02:47 PM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Victor Petrenko]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Victor Petrenko
Greater NYC includes jersey city

So you're a Legal Resident of the State of New Jersey . . . . so unless you intend to spend the bulk of your time across the river, I'd stick with the State that you actually reside in, and consider becoming licensed in Albany later.

#458985 - 09/05/17 04:09 PM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Vermont]
Victor Petrenko Offline

Thanks for your advice! It's kind of tricky because my home state is FL I don't know if that makes a difference in getting a real esate license since my wife is active duty we have a jersey address and I still got a FL DL don't know if that matters. I am really close to path and ferry to get to NY. I'm just looking for the best market wether it's NJ or NY. I do spend the bulk of my time in Jersey. I was guessing the NY market had more opportunities but Jersey city is developing quickly lots of construction going up.

#458986 - 09/05/17 04:23 PM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Victor Petrenko]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Where you were born or who issued your Driver's License doesn't matter; although some States require that you be a US Citizen..

Look into whether you can even obtain an initial License in a State where you don't reside. Most States will respect your experience in another jurisdiction when applying for a secondary license, or when moving from one state to another . . . . but you'll have to research your eligibility to obtain that 1st License in a State in which you do not presently reside.

Call Albany and Trenton; see what they say.

Meanwhile, I think getting a New Jersey Drivers License should be a high priority . . . . there's a time element involved measured from when you first became a Resident.

#458998 - 09/06/17 03:20 PM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Victor Petrenko]
Jon-Agent Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
No problem getting your lic in NJ, yes the NJ lic would help...
NJ and NY are very different ... Completely separate lic, no reciprocity, and the markets are completely different... You would want to concentrate on one.
In NJ you can hook up with a local agency to sponsor you (a discount) for a real estate course, no obligation to hang your license with them.
You are looking at about $2000/year to be an active agent.
Less training with the smaller mom/pop agencies, likely better to get started training with a national brand.
Either way, which ever type of agency you start with, and what ever type of personal lead generation you pay for... you WILL have a LEAN period for the first year or so....
Any questions, please let me know.

Good Luck!

#459007 - 09/07/17 01:08 PM Re: Aspiring newbie here need advice [Re: Jon-Agent]
Victor Petrenko Offline

Thank you all for the info really helpful! Anybody try the zillow lead generation?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mreid77, MiaJones, Ahmed62, Queensage, tammyfetter
29707 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28198358
No new orders today 13094869
Stupid MLS comments. 3272001
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1185548
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1057288
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1024876
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 820155
Let's talk about our cars 667377
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 601065