Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267745
No new orders today 13101598
Stupid MLS comments. 3276541
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189280
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061069
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028059
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822473
Let's talk about our cars 670855
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602672
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592256
Most common items found at an REO 575779
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440702
Main Street 419364
asset val seminar in colorado 407127
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340415
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306735
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425159 - 06/19/13 10:15 AM Average Realtor Salary?
gentryfellow Offline

Loc: PA
According to sites like salary.com you will find average Realtor salary around 38k or so... Does this include everyone who is registered as an agent? I mean if that's the case I would imagine full-time agents in an area like Philly Burbs where I'm at would clear 60k or so by their 3rd year if they are willing to work.

I am 26 and aspiring to be an agent. Just trying to get some realistic goals for what I an expect to make. Everyone tells me don't do it you won't make any money... But then I talk to agents and by year 3 they are making six figures...

How much are you making?

Advertisements
#425170 - 06/20/13 01:29 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Real estate agents don't get a salary or even an hourly rate. We work on commission so there is no way we can tell you how much you can possibly make.

In this business it is up to the individual to determine how much they make. You get what you put into it. So you will find agents in Philly with 3 years under their belt who make next to nothing and agents who are making a healthy six figures.

It will be up to you and how determined you are and how you handle self motivation.

#425176 - 06/20/13 06:02 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
At this stage in my life, I'd recommend that you not do anything solely on the basis of how much money you might make.

When I was first considering this business, an old sage told me that it will take at least 2 years to find out whether or not you are good enough to make a living in Real Estate and then 5 years to ascertain whether you ENJOY it? Around here, most aspirants are so in need of immediate gratification that they drop out after 6 to 9 months.

Others learn how to make money; but never fall in love with the business. They stick it out, and make it their life's work and are destined to become miserable old cusses.

Regardless of how much you make (or might make) if you have a job that you truly enjoy . . . . then you'll never work a day in your life.

Life is so short, only 25,000 to 35,000 days for the lucky ones among us; so make sure you do something with it that you enjoy.

#425197 - 06/20/13 06:43 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Vermont]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
After 9 years I am still on a roller coaster some good months some bad ones. You can make $20,000 in a month and you can make $0 the next month.
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#425200 - 06/21/13 03:40 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Don't forget that those figures are probably before costs.

There are lots of people lined up to take money out of a REALTORSŪ pocket.

Around here I know of at least one agent with a 6 figure income but given the amount of money spent on advertising himself I doubt that much of it ends up sticking around.

#427014 - 08/10/13 04:57 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
When discussing Realtor salaries, it is important to remember what the word average means. That number gets dragged down by the thousands of agents that, frankly, don't do much business. The "average" agent around here does about 2-3 deals per year.

Through the end of July, I've personally closed 13 deals (I'm in my second year) and I'm not even in the Top 25% of my own office. Surround yourself with people who can teach and support you, put your head down and work your butt off, and you can go far.

If you're looking for a good place to hang your license in Southeastern PA, PM me.

#427020 - 08/11/13 02:40 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Like BigToe above . . . . I don't think the words "Salary" and "REALTORŪ" should ever be used in the same sentence.

Sooner or later, someone will be making an argument that having acquired a License, they have an inherent "right" to a Salary !

Already, didn't someone on this Forum recently ask why they can't collect Unemployment Compensation when they haven't been able to generate any Commissions? Don't they have a right ?

But I digress.

#458114 - 06/16/17 02:55 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Vermont]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Unemployment compensation, ROTFL!!!! I fibbed on that survey years ago, you know, THAT survey. Taking GRI classes, at the end, you always had to answer a survey and I was too embarrassed to tell the truth (even though my name wasn't on it!)...so, I can tell you that "average" number is screwed already. And, yes, I agree, it hasn't taken into account your FICA, fed/state taxes and your expenses. "Average" commission $38,000; take-home pay "$0"! laugh laugh laugh

Edited by VABroker (06/16/17 02:59 PM)

#458205 - 06/24/17 10:31 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Bigtoe]
Suburban Gal Offline

Loc: NE IL
Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
Real estate agents don't get a salary or even an hourly rate. We work on commission so there is no way we can tell you how much you can possibly make.

Actually, I've been seeing ads that have talk about earning a commission in addition to an hourly salary or profit sharing.

I also believe Redfin pays agents a salary in addition to the commission.

#458207 - 06/24/17 01:31 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Suburban Gal]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Suburban Gal
Actually, I've been seeing ads that have talk about earning a commission in addition to an hourly salary or profit sharing.

I also believe Redfin pays agents a salary in addition to the commission.

Now, if that were true, they'd be considered Employees instead of Inpedendent Contractors, wouldn't they ?

It is true that some Commercial Brokerages do offer a "draw against commission"; but that's often due the excessive length of time between commercial transactions . . . . even for seasoned performers.

In some markets with competitive pressures, certain attractive Licensees may be paid a minimum wage, subject to repayment; but that's often structured in order to exercise greater control over the recruit and to get them accustomed to performing against a quota. If they don't produce in short order, they're gone.

I don't think either Chicago or Milwaukee is among those markets; but you'll soon be able to witness what the reality is there.

#458338 - 07/02/17 02:59 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Vermont]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Some people seem to like that company and some don't. Anytime someone's 'paying' you 'supposedly' a salary, aren't you right back to where you were before - not being your own boss? I certainly became an agent and then broker for independence, not dependence. If they're telling you when to work, when to eat lunch, what days to work, etc., etc., you are not your own boss. cry

#458571 - 07/28/17 12:36 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: gentryfellow]
TopAgentKen Offline

Loc: Ca
I recently went to a Summit and i saw these stats.

1m+ (1%)
500k (3%)
250k (5%)
75k (11%)
40k (80%)

For what Agents are making.

#458572 - 07/28/17 01:39 PM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: TopAgentKen]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: TopAgentKen

1m+ (1%)
500k (3%)
250k (5%)
75k (11%)
40k (80%)

Mind quoting your (or their) source, I certainly hope that they didn't use the word "salary" ?

And that last group would probably be better described as $40K and under, including those running at ZERO.

Here's a similar set of numbers from a recent discussion regarding the distribution of sales among our Friends in the Greater Toronto area:

Real Estate Sales among the TREA Agents

#458825 - 08/17/17 07:06 AM Re: Average Realtor Salary? [Re: Vermont]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
Originally Posted By: Vermont
Originally Posted By: TopAgentKen

1m+ (1%)
500k (3%)
250k (5%)
75k (11%)
40k (80%)

Mind quoting your (or their) source, I certainly hope that they didn't use the word "salary" ?

And that last group would probably be better described as $40K and under, including those running at ZERO.

Here's a similar set of numbers from a recent discussion regarding the distribution of sales among our Friends in the Greater Toronto area:

Real Estate Sales among the TREA Agents

im guessing they are talking about gross commission income on a 1099, not what the agent actually nets out.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Mr. G, Muniart, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 80
Vermont 41
estatereal 19
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Mr. Clean 11
Logan Five 11