Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28269173
No new orders today 13101734
Stupid MLS comments. 3276640
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189411
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061104
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028111
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822580
Let's talk about our cars 670942
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602690
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592365
Most common items found at an REO 575887
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440725
Main Street 419404
asset val seminar in colorado 407142
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340432
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306757
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#443080 - 02/04/15 03:17 PM Can I succeed in a new city?
BatonRougeBen Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I've always wanted to be a realtor. The opportunity has finally presented itself. I have the option to move to Tampa, Florida, where I have only visited a couple of times or I can stay in my comfort zone in Baton Rouge where I have lived my entire life. Me and my fiancÚ fell in love with Tampa and want to be there. But first and foremost I need to understand the what I'm getting myself into by selling residential real estate in a city that I know very little about. Can you all give me some insight?
:whisper:
Thank You
GEAUX TIGERS!

Advertisements
#443083 - 02/04/15 05:41 PM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
Vexxer Offline

Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC
I would be interested any answers to this as well. I am relatively new to my area and have virtually no local "friends and family" to help me get leads I know Im gonna have to work extra hard to keep up with people who know the area like the back of their hand, but I would love any tips for a situation like the OP posted.

#443091 - 02/05/15 05:19 AM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Howdy!

Have you thought about working with a top agent while you learn the ropes and the city? Heck, it won't take long for you to study up on Tampa, learn the areas, local businesses, attractions, etc.

If you want to go at it on your own, then you need to market-Market-MARKET!

But, I'd highly suggest working with a top agent first. Plus, maybe you could work out a deal to get paid, hold open houses and pick up your own buyers from the open house.

I know a very successful agent in Cleveland who originally grew up in Miami, came to Cleveland not knowing anything about the city and become a very successful agent.

#443102 - 02/05/15 12:15 PM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
MOMO Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BatonRougeBen
I've always wanted to be a realtor. The opportunity has finally presented itself. I have the option to move to Tampa, Florida, where I have only visited a couple of times or I can stay in my comfort zone in Baton Rouge where I have lived my entire life. Me and my fiancÚ fell in love with Tampa and want to be there. But first and foremost I need to understand the what I'm getting myself into by selling residential real estate in a city that I know very little about. Can you all give me some insight?
whisper
Thank You
GEAUX TIGERS!

Do you have enough cash reserve to go at least 6 months without a paycheck and also several thousand dollars to obtain your license and necessary items to start your business? I think that 90% of new agents don't make it 2 years in this business. Those are the cold hard facts and there are lots of new agents seeking advice if you use the "Search" feature and good luck.

#443103 - 02/05/15 12:19 PM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: Vexxer]
MOMO Offline

Originally Posted By: Vexxer
I would be interested any answers to this as well. I am relatively new to my area and have virtually no local "friends and family" to help me get leads I know Im gonna have to work extra hard to keep up with people who know the area like the back of their hand, but I would love any tips for a situation like the OP posted.

While friends and family can help you in this business they can also be your worst (and least paying) Client and really disappoint when they use another Realtor.

#443120 - 02/06/15 06:04 AM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
BatonRougeBen Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I didn't post this to get advice about the money side of it.
I've done enough research and have shadowed and talked to enough agents to know what I'm getting into.
My question is "is it a viable option to move away to a big city and succeed in real estate, without ever being there before?"

Edited by BatonRougeBen (02/06/15 06:05 AM)

#443134 - 02/06/15 12:10 PM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I've done enough research and have shadowed and talked to enough agents to know what I'm getting into.
My question is "is it a viable option to move away to a big city and succeed in real estate, without ever being there before?"

Yes! Be sure to read my post above.

Heck, you could start reading up about the city you're moving to on Google and learn everything you can. Look at Google Maps to learn the roads, etc.

#443138 - 02/06/15 12:51 PM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
MOMO Offline

Since you have did plenty of research on all other areas it takes to be successful here is my answer with the information you provided.....Maybe

#443572 - 02/21/15 03:54 AM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
TheAgentLife Offline

Loc: FL
Short answer - yes.

I've seen agents in my town do it. All it takes is commitment and determination. If you have that, you already have a head start on many agents regardless of where you are.

Best of luck to you!

#458792 - 08/16/17 12:38 AM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
gomezs Offline

Loc: usa
When I initially moved to the Baton Rouge, I didn't know how to explore it without anyone. after all, I was totally depending on my friends while searching restaurants, movie theatre, and other things. but I quickly understand that I truly needed to explore my new city, I started doing things myself.So now I can say it's not that much difficult as we think.

#458824 - 08/17/17 06:55 AM Re: Can I succeed in a new city? [Re: BatonRougeBen]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
learn how ot find people you dont know who want to buy and sell...there are more of them than there are people you know...

keep your expenses down......99% of the people selling you crap make money not because you make money but because they just sold you crap...dont buy it

keep tihngs simple

everyone promises you that buying thier product will make you succeed..if you listen to all of them you fail faster.

the phone conversation is the fastest way and cheapest way to find out if you can get paid by someone for doing a real estate transaction.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Trouble, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 13
Snapple 12
RonnieEmz 12
Logan Five 11
Lucky Leonardo 10