Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 28
RonnieEmz 23
Mr. Clean 21
Z06Fanatic 18
Vermont 15
Trouble 14
Daniel1234 13
Mileage Pro 13
James007 10
David Hunter 9
Marksmith 8
estatereal 6
FloridaExclusive 6
gitmonee 5
TheBPOExpert 5
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456367 - 01/18/17 06:45 PM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Any word back today from the sellers?

Best of luck!!

Advertisements
#456395 - 01/20/17 10:01 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
JMK307 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I did a follow up call yesterday. They said they did not make a decision yet. They said they were speaking to a couple more agents as they were learning what each can do for them. I told them I know I can help them and to keep me in mind. They said I am definitely one of the agents being considered and they don't want to make a decision until next week. Now if I spoke to them yesterday do you think its to much if I swing by today and drop of some business cards? I figured that would give me the opportunity to tell them I am excited to get started marketing their home and reiterate I am the right person for the job. Let me know your thoughts...

#456396 - 01/20/17 10:04 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I thought you told them you were "going away" . . . . when was that going to occur ?

#456398 - 01/20/17 11:49 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
JMK307 Offline

Hi Vermont, I leave tomorrow. I was telling them as if they wanted me to come over and sign next week I would not be available. I am a firm believer of open and honest communication. When I had an agent when buying my home they went away and never told me... I had to scramble to get things done and I was pissed. I don't want to do that to others. I told them I am going away a few days thats all but I would be available via phone.

#456406 - 01/22/17 05:52 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

What can you say about the potential listing ?

Is it a good marketing opportunity; an attractive property for a sizable segment of your market; a good place for your Sign; any possible commercial usage; is the highway a detriment or a possible asset ?

And what about the size and condition; any defects or deferred maintenance ?

Are you still thinking about passing on it . . . . or did you tell them you want it ?

#456438 - 01/25/17 11:45 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
I am coming into this late, but my instinct is that you did not do a good enough job is having them see what sets you apart from all other agents. I'd be curious to know if they had already planned to interview the other agents before they met with you.

It has been my experience that if you don't get a signed listing contract at the time, you won't end up getting it. If you did not do enough to differentiate yourself, they will most likely list the home with the agent who quotes the highest price, the lowest commission or both. If, in their mind, all things are equal, the money will rule their thinking every single time.

Regarding your leaving town, I strongly recommend that you partner with another agent in your office and present your services together. You spent an hour and a half telling them you will be there for them...except... Having another agent with you can show the continuous care and attention they need, and may even feel they are getting their money's worth if they have more than one agent dedicated to them.

Half of a full commission is better than 100% of no commission at all, right?

#456455 - 01/26/17 10:01 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: JMK307
". . . do you think it's too much if I swing by today and drop off some business cards? . . ."

No; that would probably come across as both phony and presumptuous . . . . and a complete waste of otherwise perfectly good Business Cards.

Watch the MLS and see who they chose to list with.

#456476 - 01/27/17 10:07 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
JMK307 Offline

Thanks for the advise! Sorry I have not updated but here we go... so I was away and even though I was away I still made sure to reach out and keep in touch with them. I called and left a message earlier in the week as they said they were going to make a decision sometime this week. Well they called me back the next day and said that they met with others and are figuring out who they want to go with. They said I am definitely one being considered and when they make a decision they will get let me know. I asked if they had any questions and let them know that I feel I can really help them out. They said no questions and appreciate the enthusiasm as the previously realtor did not have that. This was the beginning of the week and I am now back in the area and have heard nothing... I plan on following up next week as I figured a weekly touchbase would keep me fresh in their minds. Let me know thoughts or anything you guys would do. To be honest the commission is not negotiable as I do not want to be a discount realtor nor is it something I would budge on. I understand that something is better then nothing but I am confident with what I bring to the table it is worth every penny.

#456660 - 02/16/17 04:10 PM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
JMK307 Offline

Update... So I have been in contact and they are interested in using me as their Listing agent as well as buying agent. I would give them a slight discount on the listing portion of the transaction and would get the buying side of the deal also. Think is they do not want to sell until they find something they want to buy. So I am sending listings and trying to find something they would be interested in. I have tried to call them to get them to list now as it will be easier to buy if they have their home sold already but it always seems to be phone tag with them. I am still hopeful but I am in a way a little disappointed as I thought I would have had their home listed by now...

#456869 - 03/09/17 01:23 PM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Star Fish Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
How's it going? did they ever end up calling you back or listing it?

#457205 - 04/03/17 09:46 PM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: Star Fish]
JMK307 Offline

Sooooooo I am still working with them ha! I figured out that the Husband really doesn't want to sell but his wife does. She is struggling with being able to get around the home because it is several floors and they are an older couple. It was an expired listing and he keeps trying to price it high. I send them listing they would be interested in weekly and I do hear back from them but no dice on wanting to list yet. They wanted to see some homes but homes are going under contract quick here. I figured I will keep sending them listing weekly and stay in touch and if they ever decide to list I will be the call. Like I said they do stay in contact and reach out to me which is good I suppose.

#457208 - 04/04/17 05:04 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I would say that these people are registering barely a blip on the Seller Motivation Scale. Unless they can afford to own two houses at the same time, be careful NOT to treat them as Buyers until they get serious (BOTH of them) about Selling whatever they already own. They're not there yet.

I once had a Florida couple who asked me to come out do a CMA on a 2nd Home, their remote Vermont off-the-grid camp in 1998. They said they'd call me when they were ready to sell.

Rather than hounding them, I simply put them on my Agency News Letter (self published about every 6 weeks) distribution list where they stayed until 2011 when they called and said they were now ready . . . . because the Husband now had cancer; that's what got them motivated !

I sold the place a couple months later. At least they didn't go off and die on me. This a business of deferred gratification.

Don't get too excited about anyone . . . . but you have to be ready when they are; I've never been able to force anyone do something that they don't want to do !

A body at rest tends to stay at rest . . . . Probably your people won't do anything until the Wife starts sleeping separately on the 1st Floor, and then the Husband will get the message; but you don't want to be the one making that suggestion !

#457401 - 04/18/17 08:39 PM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: Vermont]
JMK307 Offline

Thanks everyone for staying with me on this. So they listed a week ago without me. They reached out to me and said they were going with another Realtor. I tried to win their business but they said that the other Realtor would list their home higher price point and had a little more experience the me. They insisted they want to buy a home through me but I am starting to think it is a waste of time. They need to sell their home which is listed to high and most likely won't sell. Unless they take some price reductions I do not see the home selling at all. They asked if I could set some showings up but homes are going under contract faster then they are ready to look. Would love some thoughts if anyone encountered anything like this. Also this is my first year and a little in a rut as I am watching a lot of people in my office rocking and rolling and I feel like I can't muster up any business right now. I guess this is the first tough year everyone talks about but my first year will be up in June! ha

#457407 - 04/19/17 07:22 AM Re: 6 Month Update... Love to hear some feedback or ideas [Re: JMK307]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Are these people willing to sign a Buyer Broker Agreement with you ?

What are the competing activities that would keep you from showing them some possible purchases ?

Obviously, they like you. And you've been listening and know what their needs are . . . . like the "single floor living" aspect. Would showing them some of the property now on the market help to familiarize you with a segment of the current inventory that you don't already know about ?

I know it will be awkward to deal with a couple who've chosen someone else to list their property; but this is real estate where you have to roll with the punches. This gives you an opportunity to better educate them in comparing their own pricing with that of other competing properties and making them more likely to accept a reasonable offer if one comes down the pike.

If you don't do it, then someone else will . . . . so I'd avoid becoming too negative and allow this to turn you into a positive force . . . . you'll help yourself by helping them (maybe). At least you'll be gathering first hand knowledge.

In the end, it's all a series of judgement calls; but the decisions you make allow you to participate in building the future. If you don't, it will be decided without your influence.

Anyway, it sounds like you've reconciled yourself to their decision on choosing a different Agent to list the current house, and aren't bitter.

Who knows, you may get another bite at the apple; meanwhile you can be an active observer.

And if you have better things to do, do them . . . . but this is still a potential teaching moment !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
SamFromSurge, Dennis L., pallavi, Suburban Gal, realga
29534 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (cholley62, Mr. Clean, estatereal, STEW), 81 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28117243
No new orders today 13087711
Stupid MLS comments. 3266489
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1180822
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1052144
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1021800
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 816745
Let's talk about our cars 663871
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 599010