Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 34
Dripping Springs 30
Lucky Leonardo 27
WolfHouse 20
Trouble 16
Mr. Clean 16
estatereal 15
AgentAlam 15
Z06Fanatic 14
Nikole 12
RonnieEmz 8
Bigtoe 7
YourAgentVon 7
C21Mr.May 7
sualk54 7
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456962 - 03/19/17 09:20 AM buyer agent - no contract question
ht1234 Offline

Loc: CA USA
Hi,
I did not sign a contract with a buyer agent. She had been showing me homes. We even submitted 2 bids but did not get the home. Now I feel that using a buyer agent probably hurt our chance of getting a home in the highly competitive Bay Area market. In a particular case, a seller agent actually told me that the owner or agent sets a higher price target when a buyer agent is involved.
Since I did not sign a buyer agent contract, can I simply not use the buyer agent anymore? Even though I did submit 2 legal bids/offers? Are there any legal/fee issue?

Thanks

Advertisements
#456972 - 03/20/17 12:16 PM Re: buyer agent - no contract question [Re: ht1234]
Brandon Battle Offline

Loc: Anaheim,CA
Speaking as a future R.E. agent currently in school,you should definitely call the agent who has been spending their time and money working on your behalf and formally end the relationship before making any offers yourself or through another agent.I'm am very surprised they would formally send written offers for purchase on your behalf without a signed buyer's agreement because that can and will cause legal conflicts if you attempt not to pay them for services rendered.By the way,I seriously doubt having an agent represent you in negotiations is hurting your chances to buy real estate even if the seller or the listing agent said so.They knew going into the deal that real buyers always use agents to protect them from getting railroaded into a bad agreement.No property is worth taking a huge risk of being left unprotected and without experienced counsel to get the best price possible.

#456992 - 03/21/17 03:18 PM Re: buyer agent - no contract question [Re: ht1234]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
If you did not sign a buyer agency agreement, you more than likely do not have any kind of legal commitment to that agent.

However, if the market is highly competitive, it is quite possible that your bids were simply too low or had too many contingencies or both.

The seller doesn't care really who is representing whom, the seller cares about the bottom line, and will go with the highest and best offer.

Did your agent offer advice on your offer price, and did you listen to your agent? Frequently, my buyers will ask me what they should offer, and then they want to offer significantly less than what I suggest, and are miffed when their offers are not accepted with fireworks and celebration from the seller....go figure....

#457070 - 03/27/17 08:20 PM Re: buyer agent - no contract question [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
ht1234 Offline

Loc: CA USA
Thanks Brandon & Perky_realtor.
Sorry I'm new to this forum and was expecting an email when there's a response to this post. Hence the late reply.
Perky - Yes, we did follow the advice of our buyer agent. Our offer was 10% over asking. We followed our agent advice almost to the dot except that we do want an inspection contingency even though our agent said to have none.
Brandon - Thanks for the advice of talking to our buyer agent to make sure we are in agreement. I believe integrity rules.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Nirzhar Kar, brbravths01, RENTALS SG, tcalling, MGChicago
29377 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28057114
No new orders today 13081869
Stupid MLS comments. 3263501
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1177564
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1049449
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1019387
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 814769
Let's talk about our cars 661536
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 597652