Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268397
No new orders today 13101671
Stupid MLS comments. 3276612
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189344
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061079
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028086
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822563
Let's talk about our cars 670871
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602677
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592305
Most common items found at an REO 575825
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440710
Main Street 419378
asset val seminar in colorado 407132
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340425
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306743
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456460 - 01/26/17 07:22 AM Tenant withholding rent in Florida
mcpropmgmt Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I have a tenant that sent us a letter a full 5 days after her rent due date saying that since we haven't done any repairs, she deems the property unsafe and is breaking her lease. I have invoices to prove we have made repairs! She is lingering in the property and intends on staying there until Feb 2017, this was noted in her letter. Shouldn't she be moving out right away? I know when the Landlord or gov't agency deems the property unsafe, or uninhabitable, they have 7 days to vacate but cannot find anything for the tenant. All I find is the conditions that should be met when a tenant decides to withhold rent for non-repair. Need help!

Advertisements
#456461 - 01/26/17 07:37 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: mcpropmgmt]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Has the Tenant reported the property to the local Health Department or to the Housing Authority; and does she provide any evidence of their inspection results ?

Are you holding a Security Deposit ?

#456463 - 01/26/17 07:53 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: Vermont]
mcpropmgmt Offline

No she has not. I've thought about calling code compliance myself to call her bluff! The only evidence she supplied was her letter of intent to withhold rent. She mentioned issues we have repaired and other cosmetic issues like a cracked marble window sill, a kitchen light fixture is too low, fridge kick plate is broken off etc. The only on going issue we've had is the master shower loses pressure. Handyman disassembles the shower head, cleans it out and it works fine for a little while but she never reported it to be a problem a second time. We have had another issue where the ground outside is soft, kind of like sand but not real bad. Plumber checked septic and plumbing lines and all was ok, no leaks were detected. I am almost 100% sure it's because she can't afford the home any longer. The home is not 100% no, but it is a safe environment and have no qualms saying that.

#456464 - 01/26/17 07:54 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: Vermont]
mcpropmgmt Offline

Sorry yes we are holding a security deposit

#456465 - 01/26/17 08:47 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: mcpropmgmt]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
She's probably expecting that the Security Deposit will now serve as her Last Month's Rent. If you don't want that unilateral diversion of the Deposit away from its intended purpose to occur without your first inspecting the premises for any damages, then you ought to schedule a visit to the Property at your earliest convenience (with a camera).

I'm not knowledgeable regarding the Landlord/Tenant Laws that are specific to Florida; so someone else may chime in here; but I think you'll probably be well served by obtaining local Legal Counsel in this matter before it gets out of hand.

#456504 - 01/30/17 02:19 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: mcpropmgmt]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
She's likely quite a scam artist. If you really, really knew here rental history, you'd likely find out she's pulled stunts like this before.

Here, in Oklahoma, we have 15 days to correct a problem once it is reported. Withholding rent is not permitted, by state law.

Don't let this woman pressure you - she's trying to scare you.

Here, we us a "Pay or Quit Notice", which advises the tenant to pay up because their rent is past due or we will file to evict. By state law, we have to give them 72 hrs to pay up before we file in small claims court.

I don't know Florida law, but it's worth having an attorney you can call and consult with. wink

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#456520 - 02/01/17 12:04 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: mcpropmgmt]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
I agree with barb. You are getting played.

#459117 - 09/15/17 06:44 AM Re: Tenant withholding rent in Florida [Re: mcpropmgmt]
simon94bob Offline

Loc: USA
I also agree with barb.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 77
Vermont 40
estatereal 18
Trouble 16
Flare616 16
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10