Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityOne of the most popular online real estate communities consistently since 1998!

Virtual Homestaging at PadStyler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 46
C21Mr.May 19
Daniel1234 17
Trouble 17
Z06Fanatic 13
RonnieEmz 11
David Hunter 10
zhenbuxianghua 9
VABroker 7
rjlocal22 6
nopeda 6
JohnN 5
sualk54 5
Bigtoe 5
Jake09 4
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#441786 - 12/21/14 09:52 PM First time buying experience
Unregistered

I was referred to a realtor recently from a reputable source. I am a first time buyer also so I really didn't know what to expect. I offered to come by his office but he implied that would be unnecessary so we just spoke on the phone. When it came time to look at houses he said he would have one of his assistants come with me to look at houses. I have looked at numerous houses over the past few weeks with the assistant only. In that time I have not been contacted by the realtor. All interaction has been with the assistant, who also claims to be a realtor, but appears to be only an agent of some kind. I cannot verify that the assistant belongs to the national realtor association so I think she may have misrepresented herself as a realtor or may have a different definition of that word than realtor.org does. I can tell that the assistant has limited experience in the industry and with transactions. I feel like the original realtor should have told me from the beginning that he really didn't have time for me and that he would be referring me to someone else, rather than implying that he would be helping me along the way only to end up fizzling out. The type of home I would be looking for is probably not worth the original realtors time I guess. Is this type of conduct to be expected? Did the assistant misrepresent herself as a realtor? What is the legal definition of a realtor? What should I do?

Advertisements
#441797 - 12/22/14 08:29 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Get on the phone and start interviewing real estate agents. You can find them on the internet and in the real estate magazines available around town.

When you find one you like and trust you will know it. The good ones will shine when you find them.

You are not obligated to work with somone you don't trust.

#441815 - 12/22/14 08:02 PM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Bigtoe]
Unregistered

So the realtor distinction is not really important as it is just another certification? Can you elaborate more on this?

#441817 - 12/22/14 10:09 PM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
fdegree Online   content

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
A real estate agent is someone who is licensed through a particular government entity to sell real estate. A REALTOR is someone who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR).

So, real estate agents do not have to be members of NAR, and therefore would not be considered a REALTOR, but would still be licensed agents.

#441822 - 12/23/14 07:01 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Loc: Global
REALTORS, as members of NAR, are bound by a strict code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. A licensed agent who is not a member of NAR is not.

Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/realestateforums

#441866 - 12/25/14 10:02 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
June2012 Offline

Loc: FL
There are many realtors that have a team working for them. Some team members could be realtors while some could be just assistants. If they are realtors working with this one you mentioned, it could be they are taking the leads that are fed to them. They can negotiate and write a contract for you. Whereas, in the other case, the head realtor will take it over from the assistant once the buyer has determined which house he/she wants to write an offer on. The bottom line is that, are you happy with your experience so far? If not, you should consider working with someone else. I have worked with many buyers from Internet inquiry and they are happy with me. They never met me but they decided to use my service.

#444774 - 04/03/15 03:49 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
alvin jordan Offline

Loc: canada
If you are tired of renting, and have good credit, why not buy a home? Most people spend years paying rent to a landlord when this money could very easily be paying a mortgage. Owning a home is easier than most people think, all it takes is some careful planning and the proper financing and you could be on the property ladder too!

One of the major misconceptions of home buying is that you require a large down payment to buy a home. This is not so. In today's market there are many different financial options to those who quality. Chances are if you have good credit and a paycheck that can justify the loan, you will be able to find a mortgage company that is willing to finance 100% of the home! The proviso here is that your credit rating is sufficient to appease the mortgage company. There are a few things you can do to improve your credit in preparation for this application. Get a copy of your credit report from your bureau and study it in detail. Are there any outstanding issues? If so make sure to take care of them and get letters of release once they are settled. Then ensure that they are removed from your report. This is a critical step for any home buyer, first-time or otherwise.

Now that that step is complete, the next logical step is to secure financing for the purchase. Mortgage companies will do what is known as a pre-approval. A pre-approval is a concrete agreement between borrower and lender. It stipulates the exact amount of funds that you have available for your home purchase. Having a pre-approval in your pocket when searching for your home gives you remarkable leverage in the buying process. It sets you apart from buyers who do not have secured financing and as you can imagine this is comforting to the seller who is seeking a clean and quick closing.

At this point you can start to shop for homes. Be confidant in what you want and don't be afraid to go after homes that suit your family and lifestyle. Being your own landlord can be quite a rewarding experience. It is an exciting thing to realize that you are now paying off your own home instead of someone else's.

#445034 - 04/15/15 03:02 PM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
birain Offline

Loc: USA
I think so too.

Edited by birain (04/15/15 03:03 PM)

#452508 - 05/14/16 06:28 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
WilberLindsey Offline

Loc: USA
Buying a home is very stressful. But there are some simple and effective tips that can increase your chances of finding the perfect home. Well, with any home purchase, it is very important to figure out exactly what you want and need in a home. But a waterfront home is not just any home. Special considerations need to be taken while buying this home so as to ensure that your property will suit your lifestyle and let you enjoy the activities you love. One can check from some good home builders like http://www.azurefl.com/available-homes about the available homes.

Edited by WilberLindsey (05/14/16 06:29 AM)

#454377 - 09/10/16 04:30 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: Guest]
goasya Offline

Loc: Karnataka,India
Check out real estate agents of your place

#456262 - 01/11/17 02:15 AM Re: First time buying experience [Re: goasya]
Jhony Offline

Loc: Maharashtra > Other areas
Hi,

Buying home is a difficult task. You should check first property rates by visiting 2 or 3 project take help from online real estates sites too. Analyse the location and other amenities offer by the particular projects. So that any agent or third party person cant misguide you.

Regards.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
dreso, Agent315, TJ LYN, Nate76, sandeep123
29175 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (fdegree, Muniart), 310 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 27192104
No new orders today 12960011
Stupid MLS comments. 3207435
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1147870
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1021384
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 999159
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 790451
Let's talk about our cars 644668
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 581733