Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
Realtors residuals

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
simon94bob 31
RPR 26
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
Midlands BPO Guy 15
estatereal 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
Z06Fanatic 12
Mr. Clean 11
sualk54 6
RE123 5
leaf fan 5
Bigtoe 5
miracle 4
RonnieEmz 4
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455929 - 12/17/16 11:44 AM Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer
Neal M Offline

Loc: Jackson
If a photographer licenses you photos with unlimited usage for the life of the listing, for the purpose of marketing a specific property, would you expect to be able to use those photos after the close of the listing, for self-promotional purposes, at no extra charge?

Advertisements
#455930 - 12/17/16 11:54 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
You're phrasing the question differently from your earlier Post on the same question.

When you say "Licensed" for that specific purpose, then you answered your own question.

I'd say that anytime I hire someone to take photos for me, I would expect to own the photos once I've paid for the session.

Sounds like someone is getting desperate, bordering on nickel and diming the matter. Won't be good for PR or engendering good will among Customers from whom you'd expect repeat business (there won't be any) !

#455931 - 12/17/16 01:47 PM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Vermont]
Neal M Offline

Thank you for your reply. The questions are similar but not the same. The questions before relates to using the images for additional advertising of a property, this question relates to additional advertising that is not related to the property. Real estate agents might not see a difference but to professional photographer the difference is huge.

About your comment, you stated that you "Expect to own the photos". Do you really want to own the photos or just be able to use the photos without restriction for the duration of the listing for the purpose of selling the property?

FYI - This question does not reflect my licensing agreement with my clients. I'm having a conversation with other photographers and there is a discussion on perception.

Edited by Neal M (12/17/16 01:51 PM)

#455933 - 12/17/16 11:57 PM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I may want to use a photo for a Calendar or Postcards or a Brochure of previously sold Homes, or maybe some other as-of-yet unknown purpose without paying a Royalty to use someone else's intellectual property that I hired them to produce.

I might even use the same photo when I re-list a property years later with a new Owner. I have some properties I've sold 4 or 5 times . . . . Aerial photos always have an even greater life expectancy for usefulness.

If you need more money, maybe you ought to just charge more for the initial photo session, and not demand future royalties for other purposes that a Broker might put the images to; and then you don't have to be chasing people for that additional revenue in the Courts.

Taking my own photos eliminates those restrictions . . . . or the need to even confer about whether I have the freedom to do what I want. Another reason to always "read the fine print" before signing anything; but some people are ripe for snookering.

I know you'd lose me !

#455934 - 12/18/16 12:39 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
I hire someone to paint my house, after they are done i own the paint.

i hire somone to take pictures of my house, after they are done i own the photos.

#455981 - 12/21/16 01:41 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Bigtoe]
Neal M Offline

Not many comments on this subject. I wonder if that means that most agents really don't care. They either don't use a professional photographer or don't care about how the photos can be used.

#455982 - 12/21/16 01:45 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Or they can't comprehend that the photos they paid for don't belong to them

#455987 - 12/21/16 02:44 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Bigtoe]
Neal M Offline

While it is apparent that your opinion on the matter is strong, it is by no means universal among agents.

#456024 - 12/23/16 12:47 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Here is a question for you. Why do some photographers feel that they deserve to get paid twice for a job they do once?

#456103 - 12/31/16 04:41 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Neal M Offline

Most photographers would be willing to sell you the photos. The price would depend not only on the current use of the photos but any potential revenue the photographer could generate generate from those images. Most agents prefer the less expensive option of licencing the images for a period of time. But if you want to own the photos my suggestion is to ask.

#456104 - 12/31/16 04:57 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Neal M
". . . if you want to own the photos my suggestion is to ask . . ."

My suggestion is to read (and understand) any and all Contracts BEFORE you execute them. That is the best time to object; and then walk, if necessary.

#456111 - 01/01/17 05:03 PM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Vermont]
Neal M Offline

Originally Posted By: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Neal M
". . . if you want to own the photos my suggestion is to ask . . ."

My suggestion is to read (and understand) any and all Contracts BEFORE you execute them. That is the best time to object; and then walk, if necessary.

That is good common sense. Before you sign the contract, you need to make sure that you agree with what is being offered and that it meets your needs. Never assume.

#456163 - 01/04/17 08:03 AM Re: Photo usage expectation when hiring a professional photographer [Re: Neal M]
Neal M Offline

Once you understand what is being offer, then you are also in a better position to negotiate for what you want.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shari Mack, MikePerez, Lenee, leaftanya12, Jml0222
29715 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Mr. Clean, 1 invisible), 61 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28200278
No new orders today 13095091
Stupid MLS comments. 3272165
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1185740
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1057387
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1024967
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 820180
Let's talk about our cars 667453
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 601081