Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28269339
No new orders today 13101742
Stupid MLS comments. 3276643
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189415
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061105
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028116
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822581
Let's talk about our cars 670945
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602695
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592369
Most common items found at an REO 575889
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440725
Main Street 419405
asset val seminar in colorado 407144
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340432
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306760
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#347709 - 08/13/10 01:22 AM Working With Wholesalers?
Gayla Offline

Loc: Everett, WA
I've got a client who is interested in wholesaling REO's. I know pretty much nothing about RE investment and it's taken us a few weeks to even get to the point of speaking the same language. From what I can tell he is also relatively new to the process so there's a learning curve for both of us.

Since I don't really understand it, I'm finding myself nervous about the legal/ethical issues that may be involved in this. I'm doing the research, trying to learn the language, etc. but in the mean time, is there anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for that would be a big, giant red flag?

Advertisements
#347724 - 08/13/10 07:37 AM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: Gayla]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
By wholesaling is he trying to assign properties for a fee or buy outright and resell to a retail investor for a long term hold.

Just remember this: The more difficult something sounds the harder it will be to actually happen and the more chance risk and litigation will be involved.

Before performing the activity you would need disclosures drawn up and have the attorney for your head broker review before proceeding. Investors want to try get rich crap all the time and most of it never works.

I always make investors fill out an asset sheet to determine their buying power. If they have no money and want to try a hair brain scheme to make some low coin I don't even work with them.

#347783 - 08/13/10 02:12 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: Gayla]
Gayla Offline

Yes, I think that's what he's trying to do. I spent some time last night going through various real estate investment sites and trying to figure out the basics of how wholesaling works. It makes sense on a theoretical level but there's some parts of it that just aren't clicking in my head.

I'm struggling to understand how he would resell something that has been sitting around for three months and hasn't sold already. I get that it might be possible for something that is just listed but he's looking at properties with 120+ CDOM. And to be honest, I'm failing to see how working with me as a buyer's agent will be helpful to him in this.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot more reading to do and some serious conversations with my broker.

#347786 - 08/13/10 02:18 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: Gayla]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
If you get investors I have a 100 percent commercial lender.

You don't have to put any money down but the purchase price is 1 million or more.

Buyer has to be 10% liquid. In other words they have to have a bank statement or balance sheet with 100k or more in it.They don't have to put the money down but the lender likes to see reserves is why they have the balance sheet/bank statement request.

If you are working with investors wanting the wholesale or bird dogging dump them now and find investors with cash or that have partial money.They might not have cash but their group does etc.

#348041 - 08/15/10 10:01 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: super realtor]
realtorsd Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Find out exactly how the wholesaler will use you and how you will get paid. I don't wholesale but I have a close friend who has been doing it for 20+ years. I do know quite a few wholesalers and I've been approached by many as a Realtor.

The problem is experienced and successful wholesalers do not use Realtors to buy property. They MAY use you to sell, but only if they are in a bind. The whole concept of wholesaling stipulates that they find a property under market value, not on the MLS and already have a buyer lined up.

Before you spend a lot of time on this person my advice is find out how you will be paid. Is it flat fee CMAs? maybe they do want to list with you?... just something to think about before putting the hours in! Good luck!

Edited by realtorsd (08/15/10 10:02 PM)

#348291 - 08/17/10 05:34 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: realtorsd]
Gayla Offline

What I'm having the hardest part understanding really is where I, as an agent, fit into it on a wholesaling level. Everything I've found, in trying to learn more about this process, talks about finding properties and working direct with homeowners rather than purchasing through an agent. That's not really possible with REO's but they also cannot be assigned, or at least I've yet to see one that can be. So when I factor all of this together, it's not making much sense to me.

I did write up something similar this weekend for a client that has a buyer in place. He's not assigning but will be reselling almost immediately on closing. Should be a good learning experience!

Thanks for the input. It's been very helpful!

#348415 - 08/18/10 06:06 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: Gayla]
CIProperties863 Offline

Loc: Polk County, FL
If he is just starting out then the reason he whats your assistants is 1 to have access to the MLS threw you, 2 have access to contracts state approved, or 3 possibly list with you when he needs a buyer. Other than that I don't see why he would need a realtor. My advise is to just build this professional relationship with him and and see if you get some listing, but I'm almost positive he just wants the MLS access for expired listings or those rare deals that come along every now and then.

#456101 - 12/30/16 10:22 PM Re: Working With Wholesalers? [Re: CIProperties863]
Jhony Offline

Loc: Maharashtra > Other areas
Hi,

I agree with you

Thanks

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (JohnN, Mr. G, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 13
Snapple 12
RonnieEmz 12
Lucky Leonardo 11
Logan Five 11