Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mr. Clean 27
Vermont 21
Z06Fanatic 21
Daniel1234 19
Lucky Leonardo 15
estatereal 15
RonnieEmz 14
Trouble 12
miracle 8
gitmonee 8
Aftermath 6
Bigtoe 6
RingRing 5
Investor_broker 5
Andrew James 5
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455476 - 11/17/16 12:24 PM What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce
June2012 Offline

Loc: FL
Hello,
just want to pick your brain a little. This is the 2nd time this year my past clients called me about selling the house they had purchased due to separation or divorce. Is there a good way to show my empathy and meanwhile get the business part done with sensitivity? I want to ask them if they had gone through therapy cause I hate to hear people breaking up without getting into too much. I love to in a way help them unload the house and meanwhile have more business.
One client is waiting for divorce to finalize so we aren't looking to buy yet. The other one isn't married.
I feel sad for the turn of their relationship but happy for more business. I feel like an awful person.

Edited by June2012 (11/17/16 12:31 PM)

Advertisements
#455481 - 11/17/16 02:32 PM Re: What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce [Re: June2012]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
It's hard to represent both Parties without one thinking you're favoring the other . . . . especially when monetary differences arise.

Many Agents fear the uncomfortable and run in the other direction; others screw it up at the very beginning; and most will cease to be seen as impartial.

Recognize too that the Judge of the Divorce Court will often appoint an Arm's Length Appraiser to value the property prior to Listing, so don't push too hard to get it on the market pre-maturely.

I've written about quite a few of these in the past; I'll see if I can pull them up.

Sometimes just "being there" provides a welcome service.

#455562 - 11/21/16 06:00 PM Re: What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce [Re: June2012]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
You're not an awful person; you are providing a service.

In my eyes, I'd work with the one who contacted me first, or who I knew, and pass the spouse off to a good realtor friend (thinking of 2 who could handle this now). That way, I could fully represent "my" customer without having to try to impartially represent the person as well. And if asked, I'd tell them each my reasoning.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#455565 - 11/21/16 07:03 PM Re: What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce [Re: barb43]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Goodness. I don't think I would get personally involved in asking if they had gone to counseling or therapy - MYOB, in my humble opinion. I have had a lousy time with couples getting divorced. Both couples, who purchased a home through me, the one wife wanted me to work for practically nothing so she sided with 3 other agents after that before getting it sold. The other one, weeks after a meeting with me, they sided with some agent out of nowhere who offered to sell their home as a short sale. This couple didn't NEED a short sale! She listed and sold the house for far less than market value. If it had been at lower end of market value, they both still would have walked away with money in their pockets. I thought it was crazy but I never called either of them to ask WHY they did not use my services nor WHY the house was listed below market. I can only figure that last one, perhaps the couple became really spiteful with each other and they ended hurting themselves financially instead. I hope to never have to deal with situations like that again. When it comes to 'feelings', I'd stay out of that conversation.

Edited by VABroker (11/21/16 07:04 PM)

#455608 - 11/24/16 10:40 AM Re: What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce [Re: June2012]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
I'd be careful to listen for clues that you're being asked your "opinion" on legal issues too. I always laugh & tell people, "I'm no lawyer! I cannot and do not give anything even remotely close to legal advice.!

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#456060 - 12/27/16 01:48 PM Re: What do you say when your clients started calling you about divorce [Re: barb43]
REO DISPATCH Offline

Loc: REPO VILLE USA
Tell them they are an idiot for getting married, they will laugh and agree and sign the LA.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CAfirsttimebuyer, austinalice1, zVo, forteREgroup, nncywrghts01
29663 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (estatereal, 1 invisible), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28178302
No new orders today 13093053
Stupid MLS comments. 3270113
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1183694
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1055777
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1023908
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 818477
Let's talk about our cars 665988
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 600284