Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28452070
No new orders today 13134710
Stupid MLS comments. 3340551
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224815
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055279
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843861
Let's talk about our cars 696859
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622260
Most common items found at an REO 615036
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612111
REOTRANS 460493
EML 459235
Main Street 441492
asset val seminar in colorado 421213
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352348
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327621
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455834 - 12/11/16 04:38 PM What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking?
DYsmith Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I am a new agent, female (just adding that in case there is a different approach) and excited to get started prospecting. I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and know for sure I will be cold calling starting in January (still waiting to take some scheduled training classes on MlS required by our board).

But in the meantime I am networking through various groups I belong to and will be out and about more handing out business cards.

I have one lead of someone wanting to buy investment property (wants to get a start in January).

But to my question...
I've been practicing what to say to sellers but what do you say to buyers? Do you just get their contact info and send them buying info? And follow up with a phone call? Do you set up a meeting, even though they haven't agreed to work with you yet?

If you were to meet someone in a social setting that say they were thinking of buying a house, but you've never met them before, what is the next step without seeming desperate or high pressure?

My first instinct would be to ask if they have started looking? Then if they have a preference for certain area. Then ask if they are already working with an agent. I would hope to get their contact info and email them buying info. But then what? Or should I do something different?

I want to be proactive not passive...but I don't want to scare them off before they get to know me!

Advertisements
#455835 - 12/12/16 12:16 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: DYsmith]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
What do you think the prospective Buyer means by "investment property" ?

#455836 - 12/12/16 02:22 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: Vermont]
DYsmith Offline

[quote=Vermont]What do you think the prospective Buyer means by [b]"investment property" ?[/b]
[/quote]

Well,from what little I have gathered they are looking for buy and hold/rental property. They have picked a couple of neighborhoods and just asked my opinion about them (replied to my followup email ). I gave my opinion in general terms and talked about two other neighborhoods but also stated there were a couple of good neighborhoods many investors miss and that I could help them more if I knew their goals (and price range). (I'm an investor too)

But my question is also about buyers in general, not just this case. How do I get them to meet with me?

Edited by DYsmith (12/12/16 02:31 AM)

#455839 - 12/12/16 03:30 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: DYsmith]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Make sure you have the same definition for the words being used.

When you say "investment property", apparently you're thinking it's a single family rental, held for appreciation . . . . because that's your experience.

But an Investor may mean Raw Land, or an Approved Sub-Division, or a Retail Block, or a 2-4 Multi-Unit Residential Dwelling, or a 5 Unit and above Commercial Apartment Building . . . . or something else.

It's just a matter of making sure you're both using a common language.

Meanwhile, do these prospects know that you're not yet Licensed in Tennessee ?

#455843 - 12/12/16 06:24 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: Vermont]
DYsmith Offline

[quote=Vermont]Make sure you have the same definition for the words being used.

When you say "investment property", apparently you're thinking it's a single family rental, held for appreciation . . . . because that's your experience.

But an Investor may mean Raw Land, or an Approved Sub-Division, or a Retail Block, or a 2-4 Multi-Unit Residential Dwelling, or a 5 Unit and above Commercial Apartment Building . . . . or something else.

It's just a matter of making sure you're both using a common language.

Meanwhile, do these prospects know that [b]you're not yet Licensed[/b] in Tennessee ? [/quote]

I AM licensed. I'm a new real estate agent as I said above. But I am not new to real estate. When I said I am waiting to take a class I am waiting to take an mls class, as you have to take that class to get the key to start showing properties.

#455845 - 12/12/16 07:18 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: DYsmith]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Sorry, I mistakenly thought that your Post of 6/23/16, where you said you were "in process now of scheduling the test for my license" was a bit more recent.

So you're on firm ground with these activities; how long have you been Licensed now ?

#455851 - 12/12/16 08:38 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: Vermont]
DYsmith Offline

Since December 1. My agency has some training classes but I will not be able to do them until next month (kw).

I have another business that gets busy at the holidays and as soon as I finish the orders from this, I want to hit the ground running next month with real estate.

#455852 - 12/12/16 09:24 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: DYsmith]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: DYsmith
". . . Since December 1 . . ."

Well, then congratulations are in order . . . . and good luck this HolyDay Season !

Regarding what to say to people in your sphere of influence, I really would shy away from trying very hard to develop a script that fits everyone you might meet.

These discussions should evolve naturally in the course of your other activities and appear somewhat spontaneously . . . . never because you're on a mission.

There are some people with whom you'll begin such a pitch and quickly realize that this is a person with whom you would never want to have close business dealings, so it's helpful to always have an "exit strategy".

People all like to feel that they're being treated as individuals, and you'll quickly learn to tailor your approach to each personality. Asking a few (a very few) probing questions is often enough to prime the pump and turn people into virtual chatterboxes . . . . they especially like talking about "themselves" to someone who's listening !

Worrying about what you'll say will be the least of your problems; all you might have to do is a little bit of steering to guide the conversation back to Real Estate, and what they may want to do in the future, and to satisfy what hopes, wants, needs or desires ?

Without being obvious, you'll soon develop a technique for uncovering whether these new Friends are motivated and if they possess any of the means to satisfy their wants, needs and desires . . . . like money. If their piggybank is broken or was recently raided for some other worthy purpose, then you can take your queue and diplomatically move on to a more fruitful territory.

But maybe they'll tell someone else about the new Real Estate Friend they met ?

That's my take on the subject.

#455854 - 12/12/16 10:33 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: Vermont]
DYsmith Offline

[quote=Vermont][quote=DYsmith]". . . Since December 1 . . ."[/quote]

These discussions should evolve naturally in the course of your other activities and appear somewhat spontaneously . . . . never because you're on a mission.

[/quote]

You're right...I don't want to come across like I'm on a mission. And I understand what you mean about not relying too heavily on scripts. I just didn't want to miss anything important that should be asked or said. Or lose a lead staring me right in the face.

If I understand you correctly, just focus on uncovering their wants, needs and desires...ask questions.

But I can't help but think that they're waiting on me to lead them in some way. Like...the next step. Shouldn't I be the one giving them the next step? And what should that step be?

#455855 - 12/12/16 11:02 AM Re: What to say to a buyer prospect met while networking? [Re: DYsmith]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: DYsmith
". . . Shouldn't I be the one giving them the next step? . . ."

The situation will dictate what is next, and you'll respond appropriately.

Trust your instincts . . . . they'll seldom fail you !

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mumbai02, Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1
30074 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 5