Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityOne of the most popular online real estate communities consistently since 1998!

Virtual Homestaging at PadStyler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 17
C21Mr.May 16
Trouble 15
Z06Fanatic 14
David Hunter 14
sky's the limit 11
RonnieEmz 9
Lucky Leonardo 9
TheBPOExpert 7
Daniel1234 7
Marksmith 6
YourAgentVon 5
miracle 5
RedTexan 4
rjlocal22 4
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455760 - 12/06/16 04:50 PM BPO Safety
TheBPOExpert Offline

Loc: Georgia
I ran into a situation in a high crime area where someone came up to my car asking what I was doing. Explained I was doing bpos but he didn't look like he cared. Couldn't have gotten ugly. Luckily didn't. Anyone else have any situations like this?

Advertisements
#455785 - 12/08/16 08:50 AM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
grexley Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: usa
I switched to wearing a white collar dress shirt during inspections; it eliminated any questions or interactions. I guess people assume I'm a cop or some kind of inspector and now they generally leave me to my business.

#455881 - 12/14/16 11:32 AM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
I was chassed a cuople of times when in high crime neighborhoods. Before I decided to head for the police station, I stopped at a light, rolled down the window, gave the thugs a big smile and said, "Hi, I'm a Realtor. I work for a company that pays me to photograph houses. I never know why I'm doing the job, I just do what they want." In one case, the guy looked nonplussed, said oh, okay, and went back to his car - he'd actually jumped out and ran up & knocked on my window. In the second case, the guy laughed, said he didn't know the people in the house I was photographing anyway, he was parked across the street & afraid I might have taken his picture (prolly had warrants outstanding). I laughed again and told him I wasn't allowed to have people in the pictures so I was very careful about that - after all, I wanted to get paid! He laughed too, told me it was cool, he hoped he hadn't scared me, and he took off.

Whew! is about all I can say. wink

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#455890 - 12/14/16 06:39 PM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
alodom7 Offline

Loc: Midwest
I've only had problems with xenophobic trump supporters. My safety was never in question, however I've had the cops called on me about 20-30 times. I did notice that in neighborhoods with folks that actually had money; my reception was much different.

#455978 - 12/20/16 08:41 PM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
CentralFLbeepo Offline

Loc: Florida
Scariest was an interior where the male occupant opened the door wearing nothing but his underwear. When he asked me if I wanted to see his bedroom I said "No, thanks. Only need photos of the living room" and got the hell outta there. I called EML and they said to only upload the interior photos I had and note that the remaining rooms were not accessible at the time of inspection.

Second scariest was a guy walking out the front door with a shot gun. I don't know if he was trying to get a coon or aiming at me. I floored it. I went back later and when I saw his truck was gone I took my pictures.

Third: vacant interior/REO. The interior had been trashed out and cleaned but they didn't paint over the pentagrams, death warnings, satanic art and weird symbols allover the walls and hardwood floors. Maybe silly but I went back to my car and took the crucifix from my mirror and put it around my neck. Not really a safety issue per say but dang, this place was creepy and I swear there was something evil in there.

I never get out of my car for exteriors, I don't roll the window down to answer questions or explain what I'm doing. There's way too many crazies out there. If I can't get the photo the first time, I come back in a different vehicle later. I also no longer do interiors with male occupants without taking the burly husband along with me.

#456123 - 01/02/17 07:55 PM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
NOVACARR Offline

Loc: Dutchess County, NY
[quote=TheBPOExpert]I ran into a situation in a high crime area where someone came up to my car asking what I was doing. Explained I was doing bpos but he didn't look like he cared. Couldn't have gotten ugly. Luckily didn't. Anyone else have any situations like this? [/quote]

I have a concealed carry permit. I never go anywhere unarmed. When I park my car, I never pull into driveways. Before I take BPO photos, I surveil the neighborhood. I maintain a respectable distance from people and when they approach, I tell them not to get to close, thank you. If it's an interior BPO, I only do the ones that are vacant. I don't go into strange locations not knowing who the people are or where all the exits are. 40, 50 bucks for a bpo isn't worth my getting hurt or me shooting someone.

Edited by NOVACARR (01/02/17 07:56 PM)

#456124 - 01/02/17 08:07 PM Re: BPO Safety [Re: NOVACARR]
Neal M Offline

Loc: Jackson
We shoot the questionable areas before noon. The foot traffic tends to be less.

If the area is really bad, we will do our own version of a drive by shooting. Pull up in front, roll the window down and photograph.

However, in most case we can be in and out before anyone realizes what we are doing.

#456498 - 01/29/17 02:54 PM Re: BPO Safety [Re: TheBPOExpert]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Here's a related thread from a few years ago . . . . lots of ideas:

Getting chased

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Phil Ander, justdoit22, codi_inc, Scott Adlhoch, alvin09
29281 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 65 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 27995847
No new orders today 13077561
Stupid MLS comments. 3251948
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1170996
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1044639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1013936
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 808787
Let's talk about our cars 656497
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 593712