Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 28
RonnieEmz 24
Mr. Clean 21
Trouble 17
Z06Fanatic 16
Vermont 15
Mileage Pro 13
Daniel1234 11
James007 9
David Hunter 9
Marksmith 6
FloridaExclusive 6
SellingVA 5
VABroker 5
estatereal 5
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#453283 - 07/01/16 01:20 PM Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections?
Namtraz Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hi folks, longtime lurker, first time poster. Happy 4th!

Selling my home, and what I'm getting are plenty of visits but no offers yet. After each visit, our agent sends us an email with any feedback on what the buyers didn't want or like.

What is getting me is, our agent NEVER tries to then overcome the objections--and he has our full permission to do so. He just sends us the email and says, here;s the feedback, let's move on.

Do seller's agents never write back and say, "They didn't like the [countertop/driveway/paint/etc]? Understood. Can we accommodate them with a $xx,xxx discount?"

So far it doesn't seem to be about price, we are getting 2-3 visits a day and had one offer on first, day, but that person canceled when they found a house they liked more at over $100,000 (cash buyer, loaded).

I understand no one can force a buyer to buy. But is this just my agent, or generally do seller's agents simply give up when they get the feedback? As a longtime salesman myself our #1 thing is "overcome the objection". But mine doesn't, and its driving me nuts.

It just seems like an obvious thing to do, to make one basic attempt to convey to the buyer's agent that there is wiggle room and hope they in turn convey the message to the buyer. Even if they say no, you tried to overcome the objection.

Is this de rigeur in real estate, or just a lazy/ignorant agent?

Advertisements
#453284 - 07/01/16 06:54 PM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
If the Objection pertains to something that can be changed, we'd ALWAYS counter; but if it's fixed . . . . like the View; or proximity to Neighbors; or Square Footage; or the School System; or noise from the Railroad; then there's little point in arguing. I'd show them something else that doesn't have that same characteristic.

A Counter Top sounds like it was in the first category; where were the others ?

#453287 - 07/02/16 05:38 AM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: Namtraz

Do seller's agents never write back and say, "They didn't like the [countertop/driveway/paint/etc]?

buyers don't want to fix the countertop,driveway or paint, even with a discount. To get a buyer to take on major upgrades you have to give them the money for the fix and then pay them to do it. Translated, that means a steep discount for their effort and to cover any unknown.

Todays buyers want turn key.

If your agent tried to talk me into talking my buyers into buying your house i would be reluctany to show their listings in the future. Especially if my buyers found something better and made an offer on it instead of yours.

did these other buyers buy something else? If so, then your house is the problem not your agent. You have the choice of fixing the problems or pricing it to overcome these objections.

And if it needs a 10k paint job you need to discount it 20k for them to bother. And when i say discount the price i mean from market value, not your list price.

#453289 - 07/02/16 10:01 AM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
Namtraz Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for the input. At this point there's truth, in part, to most of it. And it's definitely our agent too. He just sent us another of his "here's their feedback" emails where their agent says out house is top three, top of price range, other two are low 600s (ours is $650K).

We almost jumped out of our skin calling him. That's a hot prospect if I've ever seen one. Their agent is basically wide open to confirmation and a nudge that we have wiggle room. But when we called ours, he hadn't followed up! We had to tell him what to say, and even now 24 hours later I'm not sure he's done it.

Can we email their agent and tell her we are open to an offer?

#453290 - 07/02/16 10:24 AM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I think you're displaying way, way too much anxiety and jitteryness. When you list a property, it's implicit that you'll consider Offers; the Asking Price is understood to be just a suggested starting point for negotiations to commence.

I don't know what kind of merchandise you sold; but Real Estate is NOT a spontaneous purchase, and the time delay between the decision to purchase {something) and the time it is seen may be months . . . . and even after a perfect target purchase is found, there may be the passage of days or weeks before a decision is made to make an Offer.

Just like in Poker, the Player who acts out of impulse and shows his cards first usually loses . . . . and right now, you're showing your "hand" too early. Be patient, or go FSBO.

That's my 2

#453300 - 07/03/16 05:35 AM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
All sellers have wiggle room, even your competition who are already priced lower than yours. If you wiggle for the buyers you will still be priced higher than the others after they wiggle.

If you were the buyers what would u do? You like 3 houses, one of which is overpriced. Do you low ball the overpriced house or make a reasonable offer on the reasonably priced houses?

your agent gave you the best feedback possible, you are overpriced but you want to shoot the messenger.

#455770 - 12/07/16 10:48 AM Re: Do seller's agents EVER try and overcome buyer objections? [Re: Namtraz]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
Do you have an update on the sale?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
synergyteamaz, Ding Nguyen, MetroUAV, SamFromSurge, Dennis L.
29537 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (LegionCapital, James007, The7, Outback, 1 invisible), 101 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28119963
No new orders today 13087935
Stupid MLS comments. 3266663
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1180996
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1052341
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1021899
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 816831
Let's talk about our cars 663992
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 599102