Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
Realtors residuals

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28232724
No new orders today 13098942
Stupid MLS comments. 3274653
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1187537
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1059674
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1026470
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 821382
Let's talk about our cars 669511
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 601865
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 590800
Most common items found at an REO 573263
EML 459230
REOTRANS 439737
Main Street 418447
asset val seminar in colorado 406600
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 339972
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306150
Evalonline 300101
Land America 285050
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#452614 - 05/18/16 10:38 PM Selling/Buying advice
Paulo Offline

Loc: NC, United States
Hi everyone, new member and looking for advice. I apologize if this is long and will try to make it as short as possible.

Background:
Two years ago I decided I wanted to separate from the military once my enlistment is up and bought my first house (townhouse) where I plan to go to school/work near the city (1hr drive one way from base). I bought a townhouse using my GI bill in a very nice, safe and highly desired city(Downtown, University, Main shopping stores, Airport are all within 10min drive). Fast forward to today; I'm now thinking of staying in the military. On top of that I realized I'm a guy that needs privacy and a garage. So with that 1hr drive + wanting a garage I'm looking to sell my townhouse to buy a single family house halfway between the city and base.

Question:
With all that in mind, what options do I have to selling and buying? I will be using my GI bill again but will need to sell my current home first. Problem is I may lose $ considering it's only been 2yrs since I bought it and townhomes do not sell as easily as single family houses. If I sell at a loss, can I transfer the money lost to a new mortgage? I've researched and can't find much on this process. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements
#452615 - 05/19/16 12:17 AM Re: Selling/Buying advice [Re: Paulo]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
What you're saying is that you "may" have to sell at a loss, meaning the TownHouse may not be worth what you paid or what you still owe on it.

If it is the latter that is the case, then you would be considered a "Short Sale"; someone trying to sell while being underwater . . . . or Mortgage balance exceeding current Value; but I wouldn't conclude that unless you've at least made the effort to sell it for what you paid or more first. You'll be required to pay cash to make up the difference or carry that deficiency on your credit record into the future; and the Lender may secure a Deficiency Judgement against you, or if the Lender forgives the indebtedness, then the IRS may demand that you pay Income taxes on the difference. A "Short Sale" is something to be avoided if possible.

There's no real benefit to using a VA Mortgage (GI Bill) once you have built up some equity. Mortgage Interest Rates are usually preferable on conventional loans . . . . the real benefit comes with the VA providing the Insurance Guarantee for the debt, more often known as Private Mortgage Insurance (or PMI) which is only valuable when you have less than 20% to serve as a Down Payment and have little or no Equity. That's why most Veterans only need the assistance of a VA Loan but once because they acquire some Equity on the 1st Property and then don't need a VA Guaranteed Loan the 2nd time.

Read some of the Threads in our Forum entitled "Short Sales" to find other people in situations similar to yours . . . . but I don't think you'll find anyone transferring a loss experienced on one property mortgage onto a new property where they'd be starting out with a new mortgage that's already "underwater" because of the previous loss. It doesn't work that way.

If you had a gain, that gain "could" serve as your Down Payment for a new loan, or as Equity at the origination of the Loan; but it doesn't work in reverse when you have a loss; the first Loan must somehow be closed out, one way or another, and its losses are not going to be associated with any new loan. If your Lender allows you to sell short, then that loss will be on your record and greatly inhibit your ability to obtain a new loan.

Mortgages are like Marriages; they're structured for the Long Run. Rentals and Leases are there for the temporary "Short Runs".

Good Luck !

#452629 - 05/19/16 11:31 PM Re: Selling/Buying advice [Re: Paulo]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
If you can afford to sell at a loss and this would improve your life, go ahead and do it. A short sale will mess up your credit so be careful with that.

you need to talk to a tax person about what you can do with the loss, if you can not transfer it to the new house, you might be able to write it off. Best of luck.

#452666 - 05/22/16 05:25 AM Re: Selling/Buying advice [Re: Paulo]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
In the Ft. Sill/SW Oklahoma area, military folks sometimes (often over the past couple of years) find they need to move on to their next duty station within 18 to 24 months of purchasing a residence using their VA.

They're still upside down on their mortgage at that point, almost always - so no equity. And we are in a very slow market, so the property could set empty a long time.

These sellers are putting their property on the rental market, often with one of the property management companies in the area. It may take a few months to get rented, but it's often a shorter time period than it takes to sell. That way, somebody is making the mortgage payment. wink

The soldier, in the above example, may be able to use up the remainder of their VA entitlement to purchase another house. I see this happen every once in awhile.

You might check into selling and buying this way, Paulo. Hope you'll let us know how things work out.

Edited by barb43 (05/22/16 05:26 AM)

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
temp, David Webb, BoomBoom68, webuyhousesfastf, Ann- HomePromise
29756 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (Z06Fanatic, temp, RonnieEmz, sualk54, 2 invisible), 114 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
estatereal 27
Mr. Clean 27
Long Walk 25
Trouble 20
Vermont 18
RonnieEmz 17
Lucky Leonardo 16
Danny1 12
Z06Fanatic 12