Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Barbara Herbert 31
Dripping Springs 30
Lucky Leonardo 26
Mr. Clean 25
Vermont 25
RonnieEmz 21
Trouble 19
WolfHouse 17
Z06Fanatic 15
Marksmith 11
Daniel1234 9
Aliya 8
David Hunter 8
RandomREODudeOK 7
sualk54 5
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#450861 - 02/27/16 09:44 AM A fair shake for listing agents during the interview process: your feedback
timothy1 Offline

Loc: California
I plan to contact three or four prospective listing agents to help me sell my single family home in San Francisco's hot market this spring. I want to vet thoroughly and pick a good agent, but also want to be considerate of prospects' time. After all, I'll only be picking one agent. The other two or three will wind up wasting the time they spend dealing with me. That can't be helped.

(BTW: this post isn't an "agent wanted" solicitation. I've kept my eye on the Bay Area market for several years, already have some prospective agents picked out.)

My tentative strategy is described below. Would you working agents regard this as fair treatment from a possible customer?

(1) Phone contact. I'll explain that I want to ask questions before showing them the house or seeing CMAs, and want to send the questions by email.

(2) Email with questions. I'll do a lot of culling here. Is a 90 day exclusive-right-to-sell contract okay? Can you provide a transaction report for the last year, with list price/sell price ratios, DOM info? Will you want 6% or 5%, with a 50/50 split with the buyers' rep?

These questions may seem pretty pointed for a new contact, but I reason that the agent will only need a half hour to furnish the information.

(3) Invite the agent to visit the home, furnish CMAs and three references from the last year. I'm now using the agent's time, but also have vetted the agent with step #2, above. In his or her shoes, after all, I'd want the chance to compete for a big commission from a serious prospect.

Why do I care? Others have asked me to jump through many unnecessary hoops in years past for assignments I didn't get. I want to practice the ol' Golden Rule.

Agents, I'd love to learn what you think.

(P.S.: How about the agent who helped me buy almost five years ago? He's a great guy, and would be my first pick ... but his market focus is on the peninsula, and not S.F.)

Edited by timothy1 (02/27/16 09:46 AM)

Advertisements
#450862 - 02/27/16 10:17 AM Re: A fair shake for listing agents during the interview process: your feedback [Re: timothy1]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: timothy1
". . . The other two or three will wind up wasting the time they spend dealing with me . . ."

Not necessarily; provided you at least let them examine the dwelling, they'll be that much better prepared to earn half of the Commission as either a Selling Agent or when representing a Buyer.

They'll know it better than most other Agents . . . . and they'll know you; plus they're more likely to at least think of your place when supplying a Buyer with appropriate properties to consider, and to either include it, or exclude it based on knowledge.

#450893 - 02/29/16 09:06 AM Re: A fair shake for listing agents during the interview process: your feedback [Re: timothy1]
timothy1 Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for pointing that out, Vermont! There won't be all that many homes in my price range for sale at the same time in mostly low inventory San Francisco. The agent who meets me and gets a grand tour of the house will indeed have a heads' up on other agents.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
kizzme, chanel majic, JakeA, dew72, SDREALTY
29468 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (ibsellin, dew72, RonnieEmz, 1 invisible), 82 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28089517
No new orders today 13085085
Stupid MLS comments. 3264787
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1178960
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1050680
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1020582
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 815800
Let's talk about our cars 662685
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 598169