Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270499
No new orders today 13101803
Stupid MLS comments. 3276678
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189456
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061165
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028152
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822615
Let's talk about our cars 670983
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602704
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592402
Most common items found at an REO 575990
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440738
Main Street 419439
asset val seminar in colorado 407151
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340441
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306773
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#449030 - 11/23/15 10:52 AM How to spot a bad egg
Captain Mortgage Offline

Loc: Upland, CA
Here are a few of the things that I've seen that will set off a red flag on an application.

On an application that was processed recently the applicant put down the reason for moving was due to a medical illness from a child. I can understand that this is a legitimate reason to downsize, but they answered the question with paragraphs detailing everything that has gone on in their life over the past year. This is typically a red flag when an applicant starts answering questions they are not asked. When processing the application we found out that they made up fake pay check stubs in order to try and inflate the monthly income.

Another red flag is when someone asks to move in right away. I've been in situations where someone has a lease ending, or the owner is trying to sell their current home and they need to be out right away. Again, these are common scenarios. The red flag comes up when the apartment/house is not fully ready to be moved into. Repairs, Cleaning, Carpet, etc. If someone says that they will move into a dirty, damaged house, they are most likely being forced out of their existing place, and will cause you problems.

"I pay my rent cash every month and have receipts to prove it"
The first problem with this is that they are ready to answer the question before you ask it. A lot of people will pay their rent cash every month. Until recently my office had about 20% of the tenant's paying by cash every month. If you are verifying a payment history that is paid by cash make sure to get a few months of bank statements. Most people have direct deposit on their bank accounts meaning that all their income goes through them. If they truly pay by cash there will be a large withdraw (for about the rent amount) somewhere around the first of the month.

Advertisements
#449049 - 11/24/15 03:30 PM Re: How to spot a bad egg [Re: Captain Mortgage]
jimmyk Offline

Loc: indiana
1) Incomplete applications
2) No references
3) Are rude from word one. If they are obnoxious now, how do you think they will be when they get what they want?
4) People who ask for too many things before they even move in. I had a guy recently demand I knock down a load bearing wall to combine two rooms so he could fit his California king size bed in.
5) Bad credit report. I don't care about medical bills or student loans really, but if you only pay your electric bill every other month, what are the chances you pay your rent on time?

#449077 - 11/28/15 04:39 AM Re: How to spot a bad egg [Re: Captain Mortgage]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
1. Late to their showing appointment
2. Cannot smoothly complete the application process eg: difficulty sourcing money to pay for the application fee, lost or missing ID, missing check stubs, incomplete applications
3. Flatters you ("beware the charming person cuz charm is their weapon") and wants to be your new best friend
4. Mentions things like they're getting beat up by neighbors for no reason (a check over at Megan's Law website revealed the reason why) or that their parents kicked them out of the trailer parked in the driveway and calls them their "problem child" (True stories!)
5. Calls at 11:30 at night and leaves a message inquiring about the rental and there's children heard screaming and cryinig in the background

Edited by Artiste (11/28/15 04:44 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot one

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#449089 - 11/29/15 07:05 AM Re: How to spot a bad egg [Re: Artiste]
75Corvette Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ohio
All the reasons that you guys posted above are why I chose to never become a landlord...I would go crazy!

#449265 - 12/07/15 09:36 AM Re: How to spot a bad egg [Re: Captain Mortgage]
Captain Mortgage Offline

Loc: Upland, CA
I just thought of another one. If you call them back, get voicemail, and their voicemail is full. That is a red flag, that they are probably receiving collection calls, and have stopped answering unfamiliar numbers, and checking voice mails.

Or if this is their ringtone/call back tone.

https://youtu.be/u8kXncWXemM

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (OverTheEdge, 2 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 39
estatereal 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Lucky Leonardo 11
Logan Five 11