Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityOne of the most popular online real estate communities consistently since 1998!

Virtual Homestaging at PadStyler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 16
C21Mr.May 16
David Hunter 16
Z06Fanatic 14
sky's the limit 11
Lucky Leonardo 10
RonnieEmz 9
RedTexan 8
TheBPOExpert 7
Daniel1234 7
Marksmith 6
YourAgentVon 5
miracle 5
Chrispy 5
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#448062 - 10/01/15 07:02 PM Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling?
e777 Offline

Loc: California
Hello,

I own a house in Inglewood, California.

It was built in the 1920s and I purchased it in the 60s.

I would like to sell the home, but I am wondering if I am going to have problems given that the garage outer wall was constructed directly on the property line shared with my neighbor.

Anybody have experience with this issue specifically in California?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Eric

Advertisements
#448064 - 10/02/15 05:39 AM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: e777]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
This isn't the kind of discovery that a Home Inspector would normally make. How do you KNOW exactly where the Garage is sitting relative to the Property Line ?

If you have Zoning, what does your Ordinance say about Set-Backs ?

If the Ordinance is silent about sideyard or backyard Set-Backs, and you're NOT over the line, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Has the property been Surveyed since the Garage was constructed ?

Was the Garage built before or after a Zoning By-Law was enacted ?

If before, it may be Grandfathered.

All questions you can research and answer pretty much for free.

And if your Neighbor knows about the concern and doesn't have a problem with the location of the Garage, I wouldn't make waves. For posterity, you may wish to document, or legally memorialize, your understanding with the Neighbor in your Municipal Land Records.

I, personally, once had a Garage on the Property line and my Neighbor refused to let me even service or maintain that side of the Garage; but he died before it became an issue in my selling (and it wasn't in California).

And on a Client Seller's property, I once encountered a situation where conflicting Surveys revealed that his Garage had been built about 3 feet OVER the Property Line, and arrangements were made to adjust the Line and transfer ownership of the small sliver of land that the Garage was occupying (plus a little maintenance buffer) for a nominal price from the Neighbor to my Seller . . . . but these were Neighbors who already had a cordial relationship. It could have been much worse.

Good luck.

#448068 - 10/02/15 09:00 AM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: e777]
Inspectorjeff Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
This is very common for homes in Los Angeles that were built in the 1950's and earlier.

Generally, if the garage was part of original construction or constructed prior to 1965 (or thereabout), the structure is grandfathered in and does not need to meet the setback requirements.

To be sure, contact Inglewood Building & Safety

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
http://www.MyInspector.net

#448075 - 10/03/15 04:17 PM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: e777]
Tex Offline

Loc: TX
I bought a 100+ year old home some years back as an investment property, knowing that the next owners would possibly tear it down or remodel it for an office. It was on a main commercial thoroughfare.

It appeared that I was going to likely be sitting on this place for a while, which didn't bother me. The taxes were cheap.

One day I got a call from a Realtor in town telling me I needed to come downtown and sign a property line agreement because my house was about five feet over the property line. He said he wasn't going to be able to sell the next door property because of that. I wasn't sure what to do, so I called my good friend and title company owner.

He said don't sign a thing! I forgot what laws he quoted. This was before I was Realtor, and for that matter if I learned anything about that studying to become a Realtor I have already forgotten it. However, it had mostly to do with time. It had been there for over 100 years, so tough grit for the next door neighbor.

I never heard back from the Realtor. He still sold the property next door.

#448076 - 10/03/15 05:57 PM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: e777]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Tex
". . . I needed to come downtown and sign a property line agreement because my house was about five feet over the property line . . ."
Yeah, somehow, the faster some court jester demands that I move, the slower I go.

The older I get, the more resistant I seem to be at being stampeded into a aimless action . . . . especially when it may not be to my benefit.

#448078 - 10/03/15 11:09 PM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: Vermont]
Tex Offline

Originally Posted By: Vermont
". . . I needed to come downtown and sign a property line agreement because my house was about five feet over the property line . . ."
Yeah, somehow, the faster some court jester demands that I move, the slower I go.

The older I get, the more resistant I seem to be at being stampeded into a aimless action . . . . especially when it may not be to my benefit.

In a nutshell he said, "By signing that document you have everything to lose and nothing to gain." And like I said, he sold the property. It just may have been a little more difficult.

The end story is that he sold that one, and then later on his buyer bought mine. So, it all got merged anyway.

#448079 - 10/04/15 07:01 AM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: e777]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: e777
Hello,

I own a house in Inglewood, California.

It was built in the 1920s and I purchased it in the 60s.

I would like to sell the home, but I am wondering if I am going to have problems given that the garage outer wall was constructed directly on the property line shared with my neighbor.

Anybody have experience with this issue specifically in California?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Eric

if you call the town/county, do not tell them who you are. The less they know the better off you will be.

#448080 - 10/04/15 07:07 AM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: Tex]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

". . . and then later on his buyer bought mine . . ."

And it was probably via a Private Sale, was it not ?

#448094 - 10/05/15 01:49 PM Re: Garage Wall On Property Line - Problem for selling? [Re: Vermont]
Tex Offline

Originally Posted By: Vermont
". . . and then later on his buyer bought mine . . ."

And it was probably via a Private Sale, was it not ?

Yes, I sold it directly to the owner of the next door property. There wasn't a Realtor involved.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Chrispy, SC_Realestate, therealtorgirlat, Phil Ander, justdoit22
29284 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (James007, Chrispy, 1 invisible), 121 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 27996698
No new orders today 13077685
Stupid MLS comments. 3251964
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1171009
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1044685
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1013960
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 808818
Let's talk about our cars 656511
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 593728