Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355722
No new orders today 13124144
Stupid MLS comments. 3311658
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208576
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082872
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043543
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836058
Let's talk about our cars 682071
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603839
Most common items found at an REO 594605
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449172
Main Street 435248
asset val seminar in colorado 415580
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346939
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317357
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#436836 - 06/17/14 12:17 AM Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail?
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
I read about an expired program that is basically mailing your prelisting package in 7 different pieces, spaced out over 2 weeks.

Wouldn't the seller be able to tell by the 3rd mailing that your mailer is junk and not even bother to open it?

In this particular "expired program", the first mailer is a fancy card that briefly talks about photography.
The 2nd mailer is a letter that goes into more detail about the marketing.
The 3rd mailer is another card with a mini brochure.

Advertisements
#436868 - 06/17/14 09:26 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I say try it out and let us know the results!!

I think the key with that program is exposure. I've noticed that expired listings either re-list right away (within a day) or wait a few weeks to a few months.

So, the goal is for you to be on the home seller's mind when they're thinking about calling a real estate agent(s).

Also, maybe the program has you use a different type of envelope or something. Or leave out the return address, or just put an address, etc.

#436941 - 06/19/14 10:59 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
FlyerCo Offline

Loc: Orange County, California
I think it's a passive way that can work. If no other Realtors are approaching them then maybe it can work but, if other people are actually talking to them I imagine they would go with the person they kind've know.

#437018 - 06/21/14 04:46 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
BrianMI Offline

Loc: Michigan
You can certainly get your mail opened if you want to. Hand addressed on invitation or A9-sized, colored envelopes with no return address? That's getting opened.

FedEx-sized imitation priority express envelopes with stamps.com-tyle barcode postage labels at the top right corner? That's getting openend.

As to success, a LOT of expired's have no working phone numbers and driving to the property? You have to HOPE taht you are there when the seller is there too. If the people are scarce and nobody gets to them by phone, then the consistent mail might be the trick. Even if you only close done deal every other month, then that means you closed 6 deals in a year that you otherwise would not have. If your average commission is $6,000 then that's an additional $36,000 to you for mailing out some stuff.
You can find me on Facebook here. Click the 'Like' button and get priority updates from my real estate prospecting blog where you'll discover the truth about cold calling and follow up. You can also search for Brian Kurtz on Twitter.

#437022 - 06/21/14 10:41 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: BrianMI]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
Originally Posted By: BrianMI

As to success, a LOT of expired's have no working phone numbers and driving to the property? You have to HOPE taht you are there when the seller is there too.

That's exactly my problem.

#437196 - 06/27/14 09:44 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
RonnieWinz Offline

Loc: Annapolis,MD
MAKE 100 CONTACTS A DAY. LUCKY HAS TOLD US WHY HE DOES NOT WORK EXPIREDS.

BOOM! THE PIPELINE WILL BUILD.

#437201 - 06/27/14 11:32 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: RonnieWinz]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
I agree Ronnie. I can spend tons of money mailing them, tons of time trying to chase them down on the phone if they have one and if they answer it and tons of time, energy and gas chasing them down at the door and I'll be lucky if i actually get to speak to a few. And the ones that i get to speak to have already spoken to like a hundred other realtors. I do live in a more rural area so the expireds in my area are not close to one another. I door knock so i could spend the same energy doorknocking and come away with a bunch of leads and a lot less frustration.

Edited by ramanda (06/27/14 11:34 AM)

#442811 - 01/27/15 05:07 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
Alchemist Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canda
Seems a bit complex. Does it have to be 7 pieces? Could you make it 3 or 4? Maybe that could work better

#443147 - 02/07/15 10:47 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
BrianMI Offline

Loc: Michigan
Typically MORE really is better where sequential direct mail is concerned. It gives you additional time to try an dominate the "Mind Share" that the prospect dedicates to the idea of "real estate agent".

More importantly though is the fact that it extends the points of contact further out in time.

People are notorious for taking longer to make decisions than salespeople want them to. This applies to anything (buying cars, buying furniture, buying a new suit) but it applies WAY more to real estate where people will pull out of the market and then put it back up for sale 8 months later because the REASON they wanted to move in the first place is still haunting them.

If you drop out of the mailing game at 4 weeks but someone else keeps mailing for 8 MONTHS...which of the two of you is more likely to get the call when they DO pick up the phone?
You can find me on Facebook here. Click the 'Like' button and get priority updates from my real estate prospecting blog where you'll discover the truth about cold calling and follow up. You can also search for Brian Kurtz on Twitter.

#443161 - 02/08/15 10:35 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
They probably won't open them so don't bother mailing. They probably won't answer the phone, if they even have one, so don't bother calling. A whole bunch of agrnts are already doing it so don't bother wasting your time.

We send 14 expired letters over the course of a year.
Called 10 expireds yesterday, talked to 4 of them, one lead.

#445723 - 05/28/15 08:38 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
Granta Omega Offline

I noticed when I called some expired listings, I would hear a lot of people say other agents came around in the middle of the night and dropped stuff in their mailbox. I think people mostly would forward that to the G folder (garbage).

I suppose it might be worth it for some agents who have a lot of time and get maybe 1 out of 1000 responses to them, but all that paper and ink costs a lot of money, as does the gas driving around to every expired in the middle of the night just to put something in their mail box. If you mail it, the chances are that they have already went with another agent by the time they get your mail.

#445724 - 05/28/15 01:44 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: Granta Omega]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Granta Omega
I noticed when I called some expired listings, I would hear a lot of people say other agents came around in the middle of the night and dropped stuff in their mailbox. I think people mostly would forward that to the G folder (garbage).

I suppose it might be worth it for some agents who have a lot of time and get maybe 1 out of 1000 responses to them, but all that paper and ink costs a lot of money, as does the gas driving around to every expired in the middle of the night just to put something in their mail box. If you mail it, the chances are that they have already went with another agent by the time they get your mail.

One thing I found was expireds either listed right away or waited some time after their listing expired to re-list. So, you just want to be sure to check the listings the next day to see all the expireds that came back on the market.

#446782 - 07/25/15 04:11 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
honestinslc Offline

Loc: utah
Better to do multiple mailings to pre-foreclosures.

#447999 - 09/26/15 01:03 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: honestinslc]
Don Glasgow3 Offline

Loc: Utah
I've closed two deals this year from mailing about 6 letters and 4 postcards last year. Totally passive. I would guess I mailed to about 100 expireds. Total cost of the mailings and materials was around $600 (most of that was postage). I made about $10,000 in commissions from selling those two expireds.

I mailed alternating letters and postcards every two weeks for 4 months than one letter a month until I quit doing mailings. All letters were / are hand addressed by my wife both mailing address and return address. The first letter goes out in a birthday card sized envelope 6" X 9". I suspect that a majority of the letters are getting opened.

I got side tracked and stopped mailing last year after only mailing to 100 expireds. Stupid choice on my part.

Right now I am totally cranked up on expireds with about 300 being mailed to. I am also mailing to about 75 potential short sale owners.

Don

Edited by Don Glasgow3 (09/26/15 01:07 PM)

#448022 - 09/28/15 11:00 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: Don Glasgow3]
Broker John Offline

Loc: NC
Are you using regular stamps for all this? I am working on mailing expireds but there are a lot in my market and the cost is getting a little prohibitive. Its also time consuming, mail merge, printing, folding, stuffing, getting to post office etc.

Calling has been good to me, but I am always up for more business. Anyone using standard presorted mail for this? I use EDDM for regular marketing stuff but what is the cheapest way to mail to expireds?

#448028 - 09/29/15 09:31 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: Broker John]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Broker John
...what is the cheapest way to mail to expireds?

I wouldn't worry about finding the cheapest way to mail to expires. I'd worry about having the best message to get the expireds to contact you.

The one willing to spend the most money to acquire a new client wins.

#448030 - 09/29/15 12:16 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: Broker John]
Don Glasgow3 Offline

Loc: Utah
Hi John,

I only use first class stamps and totally handwritten envelopes. The less the envelopes look like junk mail, the happier I am.

I would only mail to what you can afford to easily do. That said, go through and "cherry pick" the homes you do want to list...nicest, high end, easily sale-able.

Don

[quote=Broker John]Are you using regular stamps for all this? I am working on mailing expireds but there are a lot in my market and the cost is getting a little prohibitive. Its also time consuming, mail merge, printing, folding, stuffing, getting to post office etc.

Calling has been good to me, but I am always up for more business. Anyone using standard presorted mail for this? I use EDDM for regular marketing stuff but what is the cheapest way to mail to expireds? [/quote]

#448039 - 09/29/15 10:35 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: Don Glasgow3]
Broker John Offline

Loc: NC
Yeah, first class stamps is what I have been using...EDDM is cheap, not sure how effective. I partnered with a local restaurant and got them to pay half the costs of printing and mailing. They offered a coupon and I had a call to action.

Still I think if there were a way to mail standard postage for $.30 per letter that would save me a bunch and then maybe I would be able to mail more letters.

Plus the time is still not really something I can work into my schedule consistently...barley have time to roleplay-makecalls, do paperwork, go on appointments. Plus trying to keep up with current clients and now past clients.

But I always like more appointments and listings :)

#448239 - 10/14/15 09:01 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
Flynlow Offline

Loc: Wa
I have been working with expireds for the 4 years I've been in real estate. I will tell you first hand, mailing to expireds works. That being said, it takes more than mail to convert them. I have created my own system that converts about 77% of the expireds that I contact. Of those, I list them, my team lists them, or I give them out as a referral.
I tell my team all the time. Real estate is a people business. You cannot connect with people only via mail. It just won't work. I visit in person, call, and mail. My mail pieces get opened about 80% of the time. However, with my system, I cannot be ignored by the prospect. I send a massive amount of mail in the first week, followed with phone calls and a couple of visits. If they are not ready to list immediately (64% don't) I then drop them into the follow up system.
So, yes. Mailing expireds works. You CAN get them to open the mail if you give them a reason to.

#448282 - 10/17/15 09:12 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
DFireFly Offline

Loc: Ky
I've been pretty poor at working expireds, work in cycles, some years I hit it pretty hard, and then others, I've really slacked off. But I always found hand written envelopes and a long mailing cycle worked the best, just keep at it, it's a lot of work, but it pays off.

#448743 - 11/08/15 05:37 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
InvestorWize.com Offline

Loc: investorwize
There are many investors sending mails to these people. Try to make your letters stand out and be different than your competitors. I find you get much better results.

#448922 - 11/16/15 08:31 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
LuxuryRealtor Offline

I've started targeting high end expired listings, with the idea that the eventual payoff will justify the large expense of my mail campaign. Since I'm looking for high end properties, my mailings are also high end, very professional, and expensive, but full of great content. I haven't been at long enough to give any great insight as to how well it's going, but I'm hopeful.

#448925 - 11/16/15 02:05 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: LuxuryRealtor]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: LuxuryRealtor
I've started targeting high end expired listings, with the idea that the eventual payoff will justify the large expense of my mail campaign. Since I'm looking for high end properties, my mailings are also high end, very professional, and expensive, but full of great content. I haven't been at long enough to give any great insight as to how well it's going, but I'm hopeful.

Care to share some of your mailings? What is your offer to get expireds to call you?

#449098 - 11/29/15 11:41 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: LuxuryRealtor]
OahuAgent Offline

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Originally Posted By: LuxuryRealtor

You could reduce the expense of your mailings by calling or visiting expireds in person and only following up by mail with the people that listened to what you had to say and seemed interested.

#449150 - 12/02/15 01:49 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
KyProperties Offline

Loc: KY
If I were doing a 7 piece mail out program, I would definitely try to space it out longer than two weeks, most agents give up too quickly, I'd mail something out for at least six weeks, if not longer, before calling it quits.

#449217 - 12/04/15 09:07 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: David Hunter]
JuicyJay Offline

Loc: FL
Hi David, I was curious what company you use for direct mail ?

#449226 - 12/04/15 10:05 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

I printed all my own direct mail pieces. Feel free to send me a private message and I can tell you where I got the 3D pieces, if interested.

#449253 - 12/06/15 02:33 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
LuxuryRealtor Offline

I thought about stopping by people's homes, but many of the neighborhoods that I'd like to pick up some expireds in are pretty clear about no soliciting, plus I'm not sure that I'd get off on the right foot showing up at a $1,000,000 expired and door knocking.

#449678 - 01/05/16 09:13 AM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: RonnieWinz]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
Originally Posted By: RonnieWinz
MAKE 100 CONTACTS A DAY. LUCKY HAS TOLD US WHY HE DOES NOT WORK EXPIREDS.

BOOM! THE PIPELINE WILL BUILD.

His mls prohibits it.

I can book a listing appointment per day dialing expires. They work

#449866 - 01/13/16 06:01 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
telephone works...if you need more numbers, expand your area.

i started work on the 6th of this year....

this is the 8th day of hte year and so far booked 5 listing appointemnts using phone...it works....im behind my goal as of right now, but this month, i expected to be....feb, mar and april are what get me caught back up and put me ahead.

expand your area.

secondly be consistent on the phones.

#451988 - 04/14/16 02:55 PM Re: Multiple mailings to expireds. Do sellers even open all the mail? [Re: gitmonee]
SilverLakeBlog Offline

Loc: Silver Lake, CA
Same question and concern. Can anyone help elaborate?
www.SilverLakeBlog.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ProSPM123, CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube
29907 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 7