Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28452070
No new orders today 13134710
Stupid MLS comments. 3340551
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224815
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055279
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843861
Let's talk about our cars 696859
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622260
Most common items found at an REO 615036
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612111
REOTRANS 460493
EML 459235
Main Street 441492
asset val seminar in colorado 421213
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352348
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327621
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#435907 - 05/10/14 12:38 PM I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! *****
bkyle1991 Offline

Loc: monterey, ca
Time for a doorknocking MEGATHREAD.

So not picking a area, I just randomly chose a neighborhood near my work. Everyone was nice, did this for like 2 hours. One guy invited me in his home to show me his art, he says I can borrow his $5000 art pieces to decorate any home listings I get! I just wish I picked a better area with less apartments, privacy gates and no solicitor signs. Despite it being 10-12AM on a weekday I got more contacts this way than I did using mojodialer running 3 lines. The first door I knocked on I was so scared, it was hard to get the words out. But within minutes I started getting into it and running up to folks on the street giving them my businesscard and introducing myself!!!haha

So most everyone was nice. I just went around inviting people to my openhouse, handing out my business card, asking how long theyve been in the neighborhood and getting to the point of when theyre moving. I think it will be better to avoid $#%holes by starting with inviting them to your openhouse. I was doing the NASBY thing asking when theyre moving up front and the 2nd guy I talked to said "Blah blah blh, I dont appreciate this, drum up business some other way".

Im a new agent but Im HUNGRY for lucky money($500, 000 year). Im a 4th gen agent, but nobody in my family has a good system to get business oddly enough.

Heres what Im currently plotting...

Dress: Black shirt, black tie, black pants and my supra key on my belt so I look like an authority figure.

Print: I called ChicagoTitle, a lender and another title co. They seem willing to give me some material to pass out. I might have to print out my county's NAR market stats to handout though. Im thinking of stapling my business card to this. And on the back of my businesscard I want to have

Area:High turn over area or surrounding Listed/Sold. Also on Sundays I will knock doors around my openhouse. Visit 2-4X year.

Ive been told the title co can get me a "walking farm", not sure what that includes.

Script: 1.Introduction 2.Openhouse invitation and hand print material 3. Something(nice neighborhood, nice house, nice garden) 4. Can I ask, do you know anyone interested in buying or selling? 5. How long have you lived in the neighborhood? 6. Can I ask, when do you plan on moving?

The Knock: 4 hard knocks. Then take 3 steps back and slightly turn. Smile. Make sure your hands are showing.(Im big, 6'2 or 6'3 without exaggerating like most. Gotta seem nice!) I change my tone when dealing with clients, learned this while working in grocery.

Other: Im considering bringing along a recorder, since there are many weirdos out there. You never know!

Im thinking of warping my script some, but I like inviting people to my openhouse. Its not really anything of value, but I feel like it garners reciprocity. Give and get.

BTW there is a agent on youtube that does videos about doorknocking, he says hes going to start a weekly doorknocking teleconference. Ill keep you updated on it!

Good/Bad/Suggestions?
Ive been told doorknocking is $1500 an hour work. No way...Really??

Im just trying to figure out how many hours of this before I get a listing. Avg price $500,000-$750,00. I havent heard of other real estate doorknockers around here, never had one come to our door. Low inventory on the market currently. In 2 years prices have shot up 71%. Lots of elderly people here. I can easily make 10-15 contacts hourly. If I do this 4 hours a day, what does that calculate out to?

Edited by bkyle1991 (05/10/14 12:52 PM)

Advertisements
#435917 - 05/11/14 02:16 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
Hey bkyle- I love it! I have doorknocked off and on and have gotten business from it - gotta get more consistent. Going to start back tomorrow going every day that weather permits. It is a little unnerving at first but most people are friendly. I made up a brochure about myself that i hand out along with offers for free reports and of course a free market analysis. The brochure is from Borino's expired program that i purchased recently. I bought some clear plastic bags that are doorhangers and if no one is home i leave that at the door with my materials inside so at least they see my name and face. I live in a more rural area so the houses are spread out farther apart but i do my best. I have heard from Bill Nasby and a few others that every 50 contacts should get you a listing as long as the area is a high turnover area. I think this is about right but want to really start tracking my numbers to see if that is true. Also, i think i mentioned that every person at the door is equivalent to 3 on the phone. The other thing is that that listing may be a ways off as most people you meet this way aren't ready to list their house that week. It's usually a ways off. My script is I tell them i just sold a house over on such and such road and i'm looking for more homes to show my buyers. Do you they know of anyone in the area or are they thinking of moving in the next 6-12 months. If they are receptive i ask them if they want to stay up to date on prices and listings and sales in the neighborhood with my monthly market snapshot report. So glad you started this thread! $1,500 an hour? Hmmm that would be great!

Edited by ramanda (05/11/14 02:28 AM)

#435930 - 05/12/14 05:02 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Looks like you're going to kick some butt. Awesome!

I'm curious, you said you're a 4th generation agent and your family doesn't have good lead generation systems in place. So, what do they do to get business? What have they done to be successful?

#435937 - 05/12/14 09:30 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: David Hunter]
bkyle1991 Offline

Good question. My great grandfather was supposed to be a OG real estate agent, did lots of business and died from being a chain smoker or something. My grandmother just used her license to show condo model homes. My uncle just likes to kick back, hes smart but just joins whichever brokerage throws him buyer leads. My stepdad and mom(Escrow 20+ yr's & loans 5) have been in the business forever, they got referral business from being in the industry forever. They still run newspaper ads and get some business from social places(gym) , plus my stepdad gets some from just being loud.

Anyways I think the lower end areas are perhaps better for hitting up. The ghetto was friendlier than the high end areas haha. Title co is getting my print material together today,
will be picking up whatever they got in a hour. The lender I spoke too never kept in touch.

Doors in the afternoon today! Should get me a higher contact ratio.

Edited by bkyle1991 (05/12/14 09:32 AM)

#436086 - 05/17/14 03:57 PM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
bkyle1991 Offline

What script have you folks used with success? I doorknocked mostly in the hood this week since more upscale neighborhoods had a realtor on every block and snobby people. Guy from the title co is supposed to get my "walk farm" soon thatll show the owner occupied's which is cool. I do notice in the lower end neighborhoods I come across more wannabe homeowners who want to know how to get a loan; I think that'll be a good bunch to hit up when my loan license is paid for.

Pretty much everybody is nice, one psycho did answer the door with a giant serrated knife raised up which he didnt put down the whole time I was on his doorstep. I think that guy was more scared of me since I wouldnt go until I ran through all my scripts haha. Its election time so all these political aids and stuff are out in force knocking doors and leaving fliers, F%#@&ing up the game.

Thinking of changing my strategy some. Such as starting my efforts off by going to the street of a NOD/EXPIRED then running through the rest of the doors on the street.

Well! As a new agent I find it hard since I got a lower broker split(No I dont work for my moms brokerage). So what Im wondering is about how many contacts on average do you have to make before you get that one person who needs to list NOW if hitting up random folks through the doors. Theres lots of 1 year out leads and whatnot, but Im just wondering how many contacts to get an immediate listing. I SHOULDNT ask this and theres really no way to pinpoint it with so many variables, but Im eager and I got to know an estimate to keep in mind.
Like for FSBO if it is every 1/100-300? Randoms would be every 1/1000-1500....What is it in your experience?

Edited by bkyle1991 (05/17/14 04:28 PM)

#436088 - 05/17/14 04:53 PM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
I don't think there's a number. Your neighborhood could be zero !

#436209 - 05/22/14 10:02 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: gitmonee]
bkyle1991 Offline

Im loving doors, much better than cold calling random people in my area atleast!

Calls are horrible to random folks because you reach old senile, spanish speakers and people too dumb to sign up with DNC. Also targeted lists arent that large, you can burn through them fast. FSBO for example is many odd properties and very few SFH's in my area. Calling a few vacant land owners today proved fruitful

Today I changed my area, got several leads and 3 CMA's. One invited me in the house and send she wants to list soon(couple months maybe).So hopefully I can get my first SFH listing before long.

I come across odd properties while on foot such as vacant homes, vacant lots, violations, city paper put on the door that are interesting. My attempts to lookup the owners of a few of the vacant homes didnt produce much.

Discount brokerages are pissing me off. Theres a couple with their own brokerage who charge 1% Ive seen around and got a couple of my potential listings. I heard from my parents someone else is going to start a 1% brokerage here too. Just wow, what a joke. You cant make it in this business so you plan to undercut all the competition. I read on one's site that they listed over a hundred properties, but on another page of their site it said they sold over 50. Whats that tell you?

I got one walk farm from a title co, its kinda crap, just an excel list I gotta sort out. Theres another one waiting for me at a different title co that the guy said is 36 pages and printed.

Trying to get more organized, I need to print a map of city streets and highlight them as I do them.

I need to get my "fun cards" with the coupon promos on back made so I can turn more people into customers.

#436213 - 05/22/14 11:30 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Nothing you can do about discount brokers.

Those sellers would have asked you to cut your commission to 4% too, and if you didn't, they would "think about it."

If you have a major sellers market, little work needs to be done to sell the house, and full service is not needed.

I have seen a $2.8mil mansion get sold by a discount broker here.

#436228 - 05/23/14 04:05 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
KWCareers Offline

Loc: Worldwide
Here is a great door knocking strategy from one of Keller Williams Realty's best coaches, Kevin Ward. Hope it helps! Effective Door Knocking Strategy For Real Estate Agents

#436239 - 05/23/14 10:34 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: ramanda]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ramanda
Bill Nasby and a few others that every 50 contacts should get you a listing as long as the area is a high turnover.

FLAT OUT WRONG!

If they are receptive i ask them if they want to stay up to date on prices and listings and sales in the neighborhood with my monthly market snapshot report.

GREAT IDEA IF YOU WANT TO BUILD A MONSTER DATA BASE BUT NOT SMART IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A MOTIVATED CLIENT, ie. you have bills to pay and need to do a deal plus you will need a ton of cash to service a huge data base for a long time before you get some money in your pocket, if you married well then you will do just fine with this set up.

Edited by Hunter 308 (05/23/14 10:35 AM)

#436240 - 05/23/14 10:38 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
There is also a perception that a door knocker is a hustler, where most view a phone solicitor differently. I had a call this week from a retired broker. He saw me knocking on his street and said, "that is the kind of work ethic I want in my agent". He is listing in a couple of months and we will meet then. I have that thought in his head, the others do not. I have not been knocking as much as I should, I am still chasing BPOs. However, I recently had a $300k closing that I got from knocking. This does work, it differentiates you.

#436249 - 05/23/14 04:38 PM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

well there's no way around door knocking. Many people are on DNC list, and most ignore mailers.

#436250 - 05/23/14 04:56 PM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
Be sure there are no city ordinances against door knocking, or that require you to pay for a pricey permit to do it. Goal is to: door knock in peace, and not find yourself sitting in the back of a squad car.

Folks here do not door knock these days because of city ordinances against it without a pricey permit (that must be renewed several times a year).

So know your local laws.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#436256 - 05/24/14 04:18 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: bkyle1991]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

my city has a door knocking permit requirement too, but the funny thing is the police don't enforce it.
You could call the police and report a door knocker, but they just won't come.

#436304 - 05/25/14 09:06 AM Re: I KNOCK 9999999 DOORS A DAY & I LUV IT!!! [Re: gitmonee]
Cindy W Offline

Loc: Florida
Thank you for starting this thread. I recently started door knocking. I prefer it to cold calling. The one down side is that the heat here in Florida is killer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mumbai02, Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1
30074 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 5