Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28452070
No new orders today 13134710
Stupid MLS comments. 3340551
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224815
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055279
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843861
Let's talk about our cars 696859
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622260
Most common items found at an REO 615036
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612111
REOTRANS 460493
EML 459235
Main Street 441492
asset val seminar in colorado 421213
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352348
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327621
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434990 - 04/04/14 10:18 AM Direct Mail Marketing
Dedra Smith Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'm thinking about starting a postcard campaign for my mailing list. I was wondering if anyone could offer thoughts, advice on direct marketing? How often do you use it? Why is it beneficial? Is it worth it? What are some companies to go to?

thanks!

Advertisements
#434994 - 04/04/14 11:18 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Dedra Smith]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Dedra, O-H!

I absolutely love direct mail!!!

Is your mailing list people you know or did you just pull streets and names off the tax records and put a list together?

Have you ever heard of Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) from the USPS (https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm)? You can mail large postcards for 17.5 cents (current rate). I mail 8.5" x 11" postcards (be sure you check with USPS for current sizes and weight) using EDDM to our farm area.

We put just listed/sold houses on our postcards along with a FREE home sellers' guide potential sellers can inquiry about. We also use testimonials on the postcard.

We mail at least twice a month, usually more.

Always be sure to have a "call-to-action" on your postcard. Give the potentials sellers a reason to contact you. Saying, "Call Dedra To Sell Your House" isn't going to cut it.

You'll hear from other marketers about branding. Don't listen to them. If you always have a "call-to-action" and mail to the same area over and over you'll build your brand over time.

Why is it beneficial? Because most Realtors don't do it and direct mail marketing is still the largest form of marketing there is! Look at Google, they use real life postcards they send in the mail advertising their online marketing. Hmm..... I wonder why.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

#442820 - 01/26/15 11:26 PM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Dedra Smith]
Alchemist Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canda
I usually send market updates once every 3 months.

#444079 - 03/09/15 11:51 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Dedra Smith]
AgentShortcuts Offline

Loc: Canada
To be honest, I've found direct mail marketing to be quite ineffective.
1. It's expensive
2. Most people will throw it away after looking at it for 2 seconds (if you're lucky)
3. For it to really work, you would need to send one every week for a few months for people to start noticing it.
4. The return on investment is one of the lowest in all marketing methods...
5. You'll need to hire a graphic designer to get your mailers designed

I'd say email marketing is the way to go. Inexpensive, and typically generates an ROI of at least $40 per $1 spent. Hubspot (which is an enterprise platform for marketing - fyi, I don't work for them) ran an experiment and they found they achieved 95x their return on investment with email marketing alone VS direct mail.

In other words, don't waste your time and money on direct mail marketing.

#444088 - 03/09/15 01:29 PM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Dedra Smith]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Lots and lots of emails go to spam and don't always get delivered. A postcard is always seen when someone goes to their mailbox to get the mail (no spam boxes for your postcard to drift into, and a 99.99% delivery rate... try that with email).

Do a mixture of both. Collect as much contact info as you can about a prospect.

I got 5,473% ROI on one postcard mailing (and I've seen that number many-many times over in real estate).

The problem isn't direct mail, it's people don't know how to use it... don't know what to offer.

#444097 - 03/10/15 02:03 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: AgentShortcuts]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: AgentShortcuts
To be honest, I've found direct mail marketing to be quite ineffective.

there are some problems with your advice.

1. Expensive - cost of doing business
2. 2 seconds is more than enough to gain recognition
3. Once a month is plenty
4. Roi may not be as high as some other methods but the roi is sufficient to warrant the effort
5. If you can't make your own postcard/letter, then how can you make a profeesional looking email

email marketing is cheap but not everybody has an email list, wheras everybody has lists of homeowners. In other posts you talk of internet squeese pages to get leads, but those will be buyer leads. It is very hard to get any quantity of sellers off the internet. Direct mail marketing targets sellers, so apart from cold calling, direct mail is one of the best ways to reach potential sellers.

#444118 - 03/10/15 03:16 PM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Bigtoe]
AgentShortcuts Offline

Loc: Canada
[quote=Bigtoe][quote=AgentShortcuts]To be honest, I've found direct mail marketing to be quite ineffective.

[/quote]

there are some problems with your advice.

1. Expensive - cost of doing business
2. 2 seconds is more than enough to gain recognition
3. Once a month is plenty
4. Roi may not be as high as some other methods but the roi is sufficient to warrant the effort
5. If you can't make your own postcard/letter, then how can you make a professional looking email

email marketing is cheap but not everybody has an email list, wheras everybody has lists of homeowners. In other posts you talk of internet squeese pages to get leads, but those will be buyer leads. It is very hard to get any quantity of sellers off the internet. Direct mail marketing targets sellers, so apart from cold calling, direct mail is one of the best ways to reach potential sellers.

[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but unfortunately, I have to disagree.

1. Yes, but there are ways to make your business more efficient so at the end of the day you have more money in your pockets - or if you can save in certain areas you have extra for others.
2. I'm not saying it won't work, but it's going to cost more for a similar effect.
3. You're right, if done right.
4. For me, time = money and I calculate everything. If I spend efforts and time on a marketing method, I'll pick the one with the greater ROI without a second thought.
5. Postcards needs to be well designed and pretty. Emails, it's the copy that counts. Plain text emails convert better and get caught less often in spam filters than pretty HTML emails. I do realize many people do not know how to write the copy, but this is why I created Agent Shortcuts (or suggest people they spend the money they save to get someone to do it for them).

As for the list, it can be as simple as adding your existing clients, add signup forms/ballots in open houses, ask people & prospects you meet if you can add them (since you will provide additional value in the content). Trust me, within a year your list will have gotten big pretty fast.

To address your comments about leads, well all clients start as a lead. Then you have to warm them up.

Landing pages done right will work as well for a seller than for a buyer, but it all varies on how the page is created. (I could write for hours on this, but I'll save it for a blog post one day)

And yes, I will agree with you: Cold calling is effective, direct mail can be too if done right, and at the end of the day I think it's a combination of everything that is the solution.

#444142 - 03/11/15 02:45 PM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: AgentShortcuts]
Kaylin Offline

Loc: Florida
I would say if you want to know what successful agents are doing with postcard marketing ask the company that is printing for them (that's me).

Bad marketing is very expensive.
Great marketing is a money maker.

Sadly most agents send out stock junk. Bad graphics, poor calls to action and more. Of course you are going to think postcards are expensive when you are mailing junk, what do you expect?

I have some agents ordering 5000 and 15000 a month not because it is expensive but because it is making them money!

If you get no results I'll bet you my 20 plus years doing this your piece was bad.

http://www.kaylinprintandpromos.com

#444165 - 03/12/15 01:51 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Kaylin]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: Kaylin

Bad marketing is very expensive.
Great marketing is a money maker.

very well said

#444190 - 03/12/15 11:36 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Kaylin]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

I would say if you want to know what successful agents are doing with postcard marketing ask the company that is printing for them (that's me).

I see tons of printing companies who specialize in real estate, but don't have a clue on how to make a postcard that gets response. They're all about BRANDING, which could take a long time for someone to remember your name.

Why wait, when you can get responses today by using direct-response marketing which has an offer and call-to-action (FREE CMAs aren't a good offer... Nor is... Call me to sell your house.).

#444198 - 03/12/15 03:30 PM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: David Hunter]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
Originally Posted By: David Hunter

I see tons of printing companies who specialize in real estate, but don't have a clue on how to make a postcard that gets response. They're all about BRANDING, which could take a long time for someone to remember your name.

Why wait, when you can get responses today by using direct-response marketing which has an offer and call-to-action (FREE CMAs aren't a good offer... Nor is... Call me to sell your house.).

You gave two examples of bad offers. Can you give two examples of good offers.

Edited by estatereal (03/12/15 03:53 PM)

#444229 - 03/13/15 08:29 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: David Hunter]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
Originally Posted By: David Hunter
has an offer and call-to-action (FREE CMAs aren't a good offer... Nor is... Call me to sell your house.).

and yet, I see too many agents who don't know what they're doing and just copy the next guy with a free cma.

Those get thrown in the trash.

I'm not saying I know much about marketing, but I've seen what comes in my mailbox, and they're all the same.

#444242 - 03/13/15 11:19 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: estatereal]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: estatereal
You gave two examples of bad offers. Can you give two examples of good offers.

1. Offer a FREE Home Seller's Guide. This will get people to raise their hands who are thinking about selling their house.

2. When you have a buyer, and ONLY when you have a buyer, who knows the area they want to be and their housing criteria, design a postcard saying you have a buyer who's looking in "x" (the more detailed the better... city, neighborhood, etc.) and describe what they're looking for, examples:

*$400,000 - $600,000
*4+ Bedrooms, 2.5+ Baths
*Updated Kitchen
*First Floor Master
*Finished Rec. Room

Etc.

Now, if they are out-of-towners, then you can say you have out-of-town buyers who will be looking March 14, 15, and 16 (what ever dates they'll be in town) and you'd like to setup a showing for them.

You'll get responses to anyone who's thinking about selling their house. A lot of times, it's someone who doesn't have the criteria matched up, but they talk up a storm about how great their house is. This is now YOUR LEAD.

Also, if you do #2, be sure you don't put any sales message on it. You don't want to be like the other agents who say the generic, "I have a BUYER in YOUR AREA, please call me to schedule an appointment." <------ Usually, this is a lie. That's why you have to do it when you have a buyer and be specific on what they're looking for. The more specific the better.

Oh, and tell your buyers you're sending out a postcard for them. It'll sent you apart from all the other agents who just send mass emails to other agents looking for pocket listings.

#444243 - 03/13/15 11:28 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: gitmonee]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: gitmonee
and yet, I see too many agents who don't know what they're doing and just copy the next guy with a free cma.

Those get thrown in the trash.

I'm not saying I know much about marketing, but I've seen what comes in my mailbox, and they're all the same.

That's the problem. Most people don't know what they're doing with marketing so they copy someone else who doesn't know what they're doing either.

And, you're right. They all look the same. I get them too.. especially the "Just Listed/Just Sold" cards. Can't get more generic than that.

#445224 - 04/27/15 10:36 AM Re: Direct Mail Marketing [Re: Dedra Smith]
RooftopCoaching Offline

Loc: NH
Direct mail is one way to keep your name in front of those in your niche. A few things to remember:

1. Direct mail is relatively expensive.
2. DM needs to be done consistently to work.
3. If you're able to target your mail, it will have a better ROI.
4. A 1% response rate for DM is considered a good return.

My suggestion would be to put together a marketing plan to answer some of the bigger questions about your business, your target customer/niche market, your competition, etc. and come up with a content/contact strategy.

I am almost ready to officially launch my marketing coaching business and will be shooting some videos on putting together a marketing plan. For now I'm on FB, Twitter and LinkedIn posting some informational and educational material every day. I hope you stop by for more info. and help!

Good luck!
Kerri
Rooftop Coaching

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mumbai02, Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1
30074 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 5