Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28454478
No new orders today 13135025
Stupid MLS comments. 3340828
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224994
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100781
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055387
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 844021
Let's talk about our cars 697001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622382
Most common items found at an REO 615691
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612635
REOTRANS 461336
EML 459235
Main Street 442255
asset val seminar in colorado 421700
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352814
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 328058
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433355 - 02/24/14 05:45 AM Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number?
Stefanie Offline

Loc: South Florida
I just had a crazy attorney threaten me!

I am calling Expireds with RedX (btw, lots of wrong info on there)..

So the person answered and said "Hello", when I asked if she was Dianne,she attacked me right away and involved me in a lengthy conversation and asking me about what she can do to change her number/not have it appear on there, since this is not her and not her property.

I, of course, am trying to get off the phone as soon as possible. So I'm trying to be polite and am telling her that people will stop calling in a few days and that her number is public record.

Then she tells me that she is an attorney and can sue each and every one of us for calling. (I'm thinking the entire time 'why is this lady wasting my and her time? Why doesn't she just hang up?')

I know about the DNC, but my question is:

All she said was "Hello" and all I said was "Is this Diane?", this cannot possibly be a DNC case, right? That would mean anytime I try to order a Pizza, call a friend, etc. and accidentally dial the wrong number, I can get fined with DNC because I called someone on the list.

Advertisements
#433382 - 02/24/14 01:22 PM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Did you say you were a Realtor?

You could have been calling your friend Diane for all this lady knew.

Crazy.

#433396 - 02/25/14 03:57 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
vk60546 Offline

Loc: Office is in Naperville, IL
Unfortunately, we live in a world where anyone can get sued. Now, can they get any money? That's a different matter. Also, I thought DNC violations were enforced by the FTC? Sure the attorney can sue, but would they win? You only called their number once, right?

I personally don't think they will go after you for a single violation.

The whole law makes no sense and forces many businesses to break it to survive. Technically, if your friend gives you a number of their associate who is interested in a purchase of a house, and that associate is on the DNC list, you are in violation of calling the associate's phone number as an agent soliciting business.

I suspect everyone who cold calls breaks DNC law. In my area, 90%+ of phone numbers are on the DNC and I think this is true for all areas in the US and Canada.

#433399 - 02/25/14 07:56 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
Tex Offline

Loc: TX
I'm still new here. I have read a handful of posts on here regarding cold calling? There is the post at the top of this section about making 100 calls a day and loving it. Just what kind of cold calls are you folks making? Who are you targeting?

I know a double handful of realtors in my area and don't think any of them ever do a "cold" call in the traditional sense, such as simply somebody trying to sell you something. About the only cold call anybody I know in this business may do would be to a FSBO in the paper.

Here I am taking courses for a real estate license right now and just yesterday finally got so completely fed up with political calls that I signed up for the Do Not Call list for the umpteenth time. And in the last hour I just hung up on another pollster.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I just feel people do not want to be called during their leisure time at home.

#433404 - 02/25/14 10:19 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Tex]
johnp Offline

Loc: Texas
Hate to tell you Tex, but the guys who make the laws left themselves exempt from the DNC...

#433405 - 02/25/14 11:30 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Tex]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
Yup. Politicians are exempt from the DNC. Ain't that a kick in the teeth.

#433406 - 02/25/14 12:04 PM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Funny, Politicians exempt themselves from everything they feel would benefit the American people. Hmm....

#433407 - 02/25/14 01:04 PM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline

Loc: South Florida
I wasn't even able to start my script, all I could say was "hello is this Diane"?

#433441 - 02/26/14 07:20 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
relax, just apologize and hang up.

#434986 - 04/04/14 08:35 AM Re: Can you get fined per the DNC if you accidentally call the wrong number? [Re: Stefanie]
BirdieBurr Offline

Loc: Michigan
The fact that she said it was not her property when you had only asked for Diane obviously means she had already been getting these calls. Most people do get angry when they have to pick up the phone twelve times a day to reject the same sales pitch, political poll, et cetera, over and over and over. Not really her fault for getting fed up, imo.

So she did know what you were calling about - it'd be a pretty heavy coincidence if you were trying to call a friend named Diane and just happened to dial a woman who's been getting calls for Diane all day long, you know?

Anyway, I bet she's not even an attorney. Just a scare tactic to get you to do something about the calls she's been getting. People say all kinds of crazy things to get annoying phone calls to stop, but they never follow through.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
casperpearl, Green R and i, albertgore, flyboytm, Team Sztanyo
30085 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (T.T.), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 33
Team Sztanyo 31
Vermont 19
kirastan 17
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
Trouble 6
realtor12345 6