Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28452070
No new orders today 13134710
Stupid MLS comments. 3340551
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224815
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055279
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843861
Let's talk about our cars 696859
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622260
Most common items found at an REO 615036
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612111
REOTRANS 460493
EML 459235
Main Street 441492
asset val seminar in colorado 421213
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352348
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327621
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434660 - 03/27/14 05:00 AM Open house questions
mchnhd4 Offline

Loc: IL
I'm a new realtor and have been doing open houses in an attempt to build a clientel. It's not working. I put up my signs, print my flyers, talk with people at the open, etc. I usually try to get at least 1 or 2 emails or phone numbers. I don't just ask for that information either. I try engage in a lengthy meaningful conversation about what they're looking for, if they've had any luck, etc. I've even had a few people stop me mid convo and ask for something to write their information on for a followup. None of these people reply when I email them within the next day or two. Am I emailing them the wrong follow up info? I usually email them and say thank you for coming to the open house, it was nice to meet you and your family. Then I usually ask them if they'd like me to email them some properties as to what they were looking for or I'll ask them what they absolutely have to have in their new home and that I'd be glad to do some searching for them. None have replied. The one guy left me his number and asked I give him a call about a property I would be listing in April. I called, no answer, left a vm, no return call. What am I doing wrong? How can I get these people to respond and take the next step with me?

Advertisements
#434662 - 03/27/14 05:48 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Maybe they don't respond because they're embarrassed to not know the answers to your questions? Questions leave them in control; they just fail to answer, an easy out.

Maybe you just have to go ahead and send them one or two properties that "you" feel might be more in line with what you've come to understand they're looking for.

I find Open-House Attendees to be among the least motivated prospective Buyers; often anonymous curiosity seekers who are just collecting information and formulating ideas or possibly comparing what you're showing them to what they already have back home.

You're lucky to have obtained the contact information that you did get. Work with it.

#434663 - 03/27/14 06:02 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
mchnhd4 Offline

I forgot to mention that. I have sent them properties also. The first few emails I got, I sent them properties. They never even viewed them. The one guy said here is what I'm looking for, gave me a list that I wrote down of things he was looking for in a new house. He still has not opened the email and viewed them. I'm one of those people who is not pushy when it comes to sales. I wont badger a client if they aren't ready to buy or don't want to work with me. But if these people for the most part are voluntarily giving me their emails or #'s, why in the world would they ignore it? I have a degree in psychology so I read into this as much as possible haha. The only possible answer I have is that they give me the information because they feel pressure in the situation. Like as if they've spent the time talking to me, and they know I'm looking for business, so they just give information to relieve them of mental guilt of just walking away or something. What works for those of you who have done opens and successfully gained new clients?

#434664 - 03/27/14 06:08 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: Vermont]
mchnhd4 Offline

[quote=Vermont]
I find Open-House Attendees to be among the least motivated prospective Buyers; often anonymous curiosity seekers who are just formulating ideas or possibly comparing what you're showing to what they already have back home.

You're lucky to have obtained the contact information that you did get. Work with it. [/quote]

I was thinking that. Maybe these people are just window shopping or something. I mean, you always get the curious neighbors. They're fun to talk to when no one else is there. Should I put these people on an email campaign who don't respond? Its almost like a last effort/punishment I feel like. :grin:

#434666 - 03/27/14 06:21 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Those jovial neighbors may know someone who is serious.

#434668 - 03/27/14 06:40 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Wild Wild West
Originally Posted By: mchnhd4
I forgot to mention that. I have sent them properties also. The first few emails I got, I sent them properties. They never even viewed them. The one guy said here is what I'm looking for, gave me a list that I wrote down of things he was looking for in a new house. He still has not opened the email and viewed them. I'm one of those people who is not pushy when it comes to sales. I wont badger a client if they aren't ready to buy or don't want to work with me. But if these people for the most part are voluntarily giving me their emails or #'s, why in the world would they ignore it? I have a degree in psychology so I read into this as much as possible haha. The only possible answer I have is that they give me the information because they feel pressure in the situation. Like as if they've spent the time talking to me, and they know I'm looking for business, so they just give information to relieve them of mental guilt of just walking away or something. What works for those of you who have done opens and successfully gained new clients?

That's good insight into human behavior. And the more you recognize human behavior, the better you'll do in this profession.

Overall, MOST people will act in the ways you describe to relieve guilt. And they also do it to feel "good" about themselves. That they are, in fact, serious buyers and not just playing. But, most of them are just playing. But they don't want YOU to know that. So they'll comply with your request for info knowing that they'll not respond if you follow up. They'll just disappear and rationalize not answering you because you're "just out for the money" and don't really care about them anyway...

Since you've noticed this behavior repeatedly (and you're correct), it MAY be useful to reverse what you're doing and make THEM seek you out. People HATE to be ignored. People WANT your attention. Use the human nature tendency to think, "Well, I'll show him" to your advantage.

So, just sit there, ask them to sign in, and be quiet. It's not what people expect. They'll be curious and try to engage YOU. Then don't give them much. Make them give you MORE. All people want to be "liked". Make them want YOU to like them.

#434669 - 03/27/14 06:59 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: DueDiligence]
MOMO Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DueDiligence

That's good insight into human behavior. And the more you recognize human behavior, the better you'll do in this profession.

Overall, MOST people will act in the ways you describe to relieve guilt. And they also do it to feel "good" about themselves. That they are, in fact, serious buyers and not just playing. But, most of them are just playing. But they don't want YOU to know that. So they'll comply with your request for info knowing that they'll not respond if you follow up. They'll just disappear and rationalize not answering you because you're "just out for the money" and don't really care about them anyway...

Since you've noticed this behavior repeatedly (and you're correct), it MAY be useful to reverse what you're doing and make THEM seek you out. People HATE to be ignored. People WANT your attention. Use the human nature tendency to think, "Well, I'll show him" to your advantage.

So, just sit there, ask them to sign in, and be quiet. It's not what people expect. They'll be curious and try to engage YOU. Then don't give them much. Make them give you MORE. All people want to be "liked". Make them want YOU to like them.

This is one of the best descriptions of human behavior at open houses I have ever read and great advice. I have did hundreds of open houses over the years and can relate.

#434682 - 03/27/14 12:55 PM Re: Open house questions [Re: MOMO]
Shawn81 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hey bud, I am also in the same boat. New realtor and have not had any luck at all with open houses. I held my own open house last year and a bunch of others for some of the agents in my office. I managed to get 21 contacts from all of my open houses (emails & phone numbers).

I used the same technique as you. I did not directly hand them the sign in sheet. I engaged in conversation, asked them what kind of house they're looking for, and if I may be of any assistance in helping them find the right place. Every one of them would happily give me their email and phone number with the expectation that I would be sending them properties that they'd be most interested in.

Follow up emails sent. Properties of interest sent. Phone calls made. Voicemails left. Grand total of replies from all those 21 contacts = 5. None of them have converted or replied back. I am going to put all of them on a drip email campaign..or as you put it: punish them lol.

It's kind of discouraging, and I am sure you feel the same way but I have made peace with it..if that makes any sense. It is kind of irritating when the prospective buyers seem very excited at the open house to see new properties but then go AWOL when I follow up with them.

I would love to hear how an experienced realtor engages prospective buyers at open houses and if they see any positive results..?

You live and learn bud...good luck to you!

#434697 - 03/27/14 06:03 PM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
mchnhd4 Offline

Thanks a lot for sharing ideas and your personal experiences everyone. Much appreciated. Good to know that its not just me! Well it sucks for us all but I don't feel so bad now.

#434698 - 03/27/14 06:12 PM Re: Open house questions [Re: DueDiligence]
mchnhd4 Offline

[quote=DueDiligence][quote=mchnhd4]I forgot to mention that. I have sent them properties also. The first few emails I got, I sent them properties. They never even viewed them. The one guy said here is what I'm looking for, gave me a list that I wrote down of things he was looking for in a new house. He still has not opened the email and viewed them. I'm one of those people who is not pushy when it comes to sales. I wont badger a client if they aren't ready to buy or don't want to work with me. But if these people for the most part are voluntarily giving me their emails or #'s, why in the world would they ignore it? I have a degree in psychology so I read into this as much as possible haha. The only possible answer I have is that they give me the information because they feel pressure in the situation. Like as if they've spent the time talking to me, and they know I'm looking for business, so they just give information to relieve them of mental guilt of just walking away or something. What works for those of you who have done opens and successfully gained new clients? [/quote]

So, just sit there, ask them to sign in, and be quiet. It's not what people expect. They'll be curious and try to engage YOU. Then don't give them much. Make them give you MORE. All people want to be "liked". Make them want YOU to like them. [/quote]

Funny you mention that. After the family who I was talking to for about 20 minutes left their info and the house, I decided to let the next few people come in and just sit back. One young couple who were window shopping took a peak around and left within 5 minutes. The next was a young guy. I opened the door, introduced myself and said feel free to look around and let me know if you have questions. First thing he says is, should I sign in? Ummmm sure! haha. Then I had the neighbor ladies come by to snoop and I ended up talking with them for 40 minutes. They kept engaging me! We ended up talking a lot about things not even related to real estate like schools their kids went to, where I graduated from, and my new dog lol. At the end of the conversation they said well were sorry were not in the market to buy but if you have a card we would be glad to pass it along to anyone who's in the market. I gladly handed them a card and said I appreciated that. I guess the main thing Im learning is people are looking for someone who seems natural and not forcing a conversation in any particular direction. I still have not seen the rewards of playing those cards yet but from what I hear from you guys and others, this is correct.

Edited by mchnhd4 (03/27/14 06:13 PM)

#434713 - 03/28/14 05:19 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
BpoBill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: US
Lots of great insight. Personally I do not care for open houses, because a large portion of the people coming through are not interested in moving. For some it's a hobby, and others they are just killing time. Everything in real estate is a numbers game. The more people you talk to, the more homes you will sell.

Do you have a website? If not you should get one that had good lead capture. Run ads on Craigslist and work those leads. The majority of the leads will be junk, but you will make money from some of them. Learn your scripts, and learn how to follow up properly. I close a lot of deals each year because I follow up with people for months, and sometimes for years.

#434759 - 03/29/14 04:55 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: BpoBill]
mchnhd4 Offline

[quote=BpoBill]Lots of great insight. Personally I do not care for open houses, because a large portion of the people coming through are not interested in moving. For some it's a hobby, and others they are just killing time. Everything in real estate is a numbers game. The more people you talk to, the more homes you will sell.

Do you have a website? If not you should get one that had good lead capture. Run ads on Craigslist and work those leads. The majority of the leads will be junk, but you will make money from some of them. Learn your scripts, and learn how to follow up properly. I close a lot of deals each year because I follow up with people for months, and sometimes for years. [/quote]

When you follow up, what exactly are you doing? I have 3 people that I have met within the last 3 weeks who all voluntatrily gave me their contact info but have not responded to the emails. They have read them though. Should I just send them emails or call the ones I have #'s on and just say something like "hey just wanted to follow up with you and see how your search is coming along?" The last thing I want to do is start them on a email campaign lol. Not gona answer me huh? Well here's automated emails for a year!!! hahahaha. ... or until you click unsubscribe.

#435244 - 04/14/14 07:05 PM Re: Open house questions [Re: Shawn81]
Lili13 Offline

Loc: Downey,ca
Hi! I have been in real estate for about 14 years and I have done open houses since I started my career and I have been really successful in converting the leads ,but for some reason in the last year my convention rate been really really low. It's provably the way the market is ? I don't know but I'm in the boat every one else is.

#435266 - 04/15/14 05:51 PM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
BpoBill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: US

When you follow up, what exactly are you doing? I have 3 people that I have met within the last 3 weeks who all voluntatrily gave me their contact info but have not responded to the emails. They have read them though. Should I just send them emails or call the ones I have #'s on and just say something like "hey just wanted to follow up with you and see how your search is coming along?" The last thing I want to do is start them on a email campaign lol. Not gona answer me huh? Well here's automated emails for a year!!! hahahaha. ... or until you click unsubscribe.

Only three people? I follow up with 20-50 or more people a day (personal emails or calls) My drips are probably sent to hundreds almost daily. I use followupthen for reminders and so far I really like it. It's free too.

I either email, text, or call. How often and what I say depends on the circumstances.

Hey **** I just wanted to touch base and see how your search is coming along?

Hey **** I wanted to touch base and see if I can make any changes to your MLS search? Is it sending you relevant properties?

Hey **** whats going on? I know you are still a ways out from buying a home, but I wanted to check in to see if you had any questions? If you see any homes that catch your eye, make sure you reach out to me and I would be glad to answer any questions about them.

Hi **** how are you? I know you were on the fence about buying a home. Did you know the rates dropped below 4% today? Our mortgage guy was talking about this a few weeks back, but he mentioned they will go back above 4% in the very near future. Now would be a great time to start looking.

Why wouldn't you put them on an email campaign? Email campaigns are great if you are sending them info they want/need. Giving up so soon will cause you to lose quality buyers. I have a closing this Thursday with a person I have been following up with since June of 2013. She wanted to buy last summer, but decided to hold off. Her lease didn't expire until December. I stayed in contact every 2-4 weeks, and she went 2-3 months without responding to me at all. She finally emailed me in December saying she renewed her lease for 6 more months. I kept in contact, and she emailed me in March saying she wants to buy now. She said she used me because I followed up with her so much.

You need to understand not every person you talk to is ready to buy right now. People spend an average of 9-12 months online before they buy a home. They might also have some major happening in their life. I have had clients go completely silent on me for weeks and months at a time. It might be death, divorce, job change, credit issue, etc.... That little thing called life happens, so you need to make sure you continue to follow up until they buy or die.

#436226 - 05/23/14 03:58 AM Re: Open house questions [Re: mchnhd4]
KWCareers Offline

Loc: Worldwide
This is an amazing recorded Google Hangouts Keller Williams Training Class with Chris Suarez, who is one of the true masters of turning open houses into additional buyer and seller clients. Hope this helps you with having more open house success: Successful Open House Strategies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mumbai02, Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1
30074 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 5