Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28452070
No new orders today 13134710
Stupid MLS comments. 3340551
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224815
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100639
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055279
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843861
Let's talk about our cars 696859
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622260
Most common items found at an REO 615036
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612111
REOTRANS 460493
EML 459235
Main Street 441492
asset val seminar in colorado 421213
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352348
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327621
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431551 - 01/07/14 01:39 PM USPS Every Door Direct Mail
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Hey All,

Is anyone using the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM)?

I'm just curious to know your results. We've been having success with it. At 16 cents to mail a huge postcard, how could you not?! (Postman says to if we were to use first-class it would cost 92 cents... crazy difference).

Also, I asked the postman if they have been getting a lot of EDDM, and he said not right now, but people may be catching on. I know it's not good for all businesses, but for our business it's worth it's wait in GOLD!

So, anyone else having great success?

Advertisements
#431565 - 01/07/14 08:31 PM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
I didn't know eddm has been around for 2 years already.

Looks like usps is getting desperate. Send more junk mail to more people at a cheaper price.

50 streets would cost me $500 in postcards, postage included. 99.5% of them would go straight into the trash.

Question is, is this more effective than cold calling?

I've wondered about postcards, but you have to send people something worth keeping. Maybe a postcard with artwork, something that can be used as a bookmark.

Whenever I get postcards from other agents, they go straight into the trash, especially the ones with a mugshot and calendar on the back. Putting a calendar on a postcard won't make me think more highly of you. That's how I imagine most people feel.

#431590 - 01/08/14 11:11 AM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: gitmonee]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

We've been using EDDM for about a year now. It's great for farming.

We offer a free seller's guide on our postcards. Also, we have had a few people call us up to list their houses because they said they liked our postcards because they're different than everyone else's (We also constantly send to the same area).

To answer your questions, "Is this more effective than cold calling?" I personally hate to make cold calls (I hate talking on the phone in general), so for me it's way more effective. Does cold calling work? Absolutely. And, the best part about cold calling is it's FREE. It just takes time.

But, if you're like me then postcards, sales letters, 3D mailings are the way to go.

At 16 cents a postcard it can't be beat! We mail 8.5 x 11 postcards.

Also, it's so cheap because we have to do all of the work for the post office. We have to print the shipping slips, rubberband the postcards in stacks, and drop them off at the post office that matches the zip code of the mailings (so, if you have 3 different zip codes you have to go to 3 different post offices).

The reason most of the mugshot and calendar cards go into the trash is because that's what most agents do, and no one cares about them. You have to BE DIFFERENT!

#431600 - 01/08/14 02:26 PM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
good idea with the seller's guide. I know it's been done before.

Just gotta use my photoshop skills to make a professional looking guide if I ever decide to do postcards.

how much do your postcards cost front and back?

#431602 - 01/08/14 03:01 PM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: gitmonee]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

I used Microsoft Publisher to create the cover and Word for the body. It's not the greatest looking thing, but we are going to make it looking dynamite (We just wanted to get something out there).

We print our own postcards on the laser color printer at our office (It's not ink, but big cartridges of wax so it has nice texture on the paper).

The office charges us 6 cents a side. So, 12 cents to print, 4 cents for the paper (We buy cheap cardstock from OfficeMax. Min. 90 lbs. index to qualify for EDDM), and 16 cents for postage for a grand total of..... 32 cents per postcard!

Funny thing is... other agents use glossy, uv coated, nice postcards and they don't get any response. We use cheap cardstock that would melt in the rain and we get responses and listings. It's all in the message.

#431693 - 01/11/14 01:06 AM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
toddtrader.com Offline

Loc: Georgia
Been a looooooong time since I visited this forum. I sure am glad I stumbled back. I needed some fresh ideas to "shake off" the effects of this economy!

I just put my order in for 5000 postcards from a vendor I heard mentioned on another thread. The area I'm going to EDDM is about 650 doors according to the PO website....so we'll see how it pans out sending a card about every 21 days.

#431707 - 01/11/14 08:14 AM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: toddtrader.com]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Rock it, Todd!

#432279 - 01/26/14 01:48 PM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
Dizzy810 Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
Isn't 8.5" x 11" a bit large for postcards? Wouldn't you be able to save some cost by cutting them in half?

#432283 - 01/26/14 02:33 PM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Dizzy,

The large postcards are more noticeable than the smaller postcards. The few agents who do mail postcards send the small postcards, and it's even more rare for someone to mail the big ones.

Also, EDDM requires a certain size (5.5 x 8.5 is too small for EDDM). The total cost for us to mail an 8.5 x 11 postcard is 32 cents (postage, paper, and color printing).

Here's the link to EDDM: https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm

#432624 - 02/04/14 07:26 AM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: David Hunter]
4sellr Offline

Loc: NY
i am sending out my second batch of EDDM cards today. I do 6 1/2 x 9 with a great picture and message on the front, and all my info and a call to action message with a QR code on the back. The last mailing of 1000 i did was for signing up for market reports. I got one response. Didn't lead to a listing or anything yet. Just an email contact.
This time, I am hoping to get more. I changed the call to action to include more than just market reports.

I did one mailing November right before Thanksgiving, the new batch will be mailed tomorrow. I had a delay due to being hospitalized in December. I am hoping to do a mailing every other month.

#432630 - 02/04/14 08:44 AM Re: USPS Every Door Direct Mail [Re: 4sellr]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Create a home seller's guide and offer it in your mailings. You can even put a picture of the cover for your home seller's guide on the postcard so people know it's an actual product that you can send by mail, drop it off at their door, or email them a PDF copy.

EDDM is a great and cheap way to farm an area!

Also, USPS just raised the price of EDDM to $0.175. It was $0.16.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
mumbai02, Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1
30074 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 5