Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268868
No new orders today 13101714
Stupid MLS comments. 3276633
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189406
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061097
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028107
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822574
Let's talk about our cars 670936
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602687
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592324
Most common items found at an REO 575871
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440723
Main Street 419399
asset val seminar in colorado 407138
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340430
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306754
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#372334 - 04/11/11 03:00 PM Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Loc: Global
Over the years there has been some discussion as to whether or not we should have forums for each individual state and province. It may be time to bring that up again smile

I am thinking of setting up sub-forums for each province with the idea that it may attract more Canadians - both agents and the general public to AgentsOnline.net. Having members of the public from Ontario for example asking questions to Realtors from Ontario may lead to some business for the Realtors involved.

What is your opinion on this?

Should these provincial forums allow listings to be posted? If so, should FSBOs be allowed? Having a FSBO in your area posted here may not be a bad thing - there is the opportunity for a listing...

What are your thoughts?

If we do set up forums for each province and it all works out well we would probably do the same for each state in the future.

Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/realestateforums

Advertisements
#372342 - 04/11/11 05:38 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
NJCanuck Offline

Loc: GTA, Ontario
This may not be a bad idea, but this particular sub-forum isn't seeing too much action right now... it may be a good idea to wait to create sub-forums when the main ones are really busy - that would help people who are looking for local information...

As for non-realtors, it seems that the value of this forum is in professional advice/opinions/interaction. While there might be value in having non-professionals here that might really dilute this forum, and make it harder to moderate due to numerous discussions on the value of even having a realtor...

#372373 - 04/11/11 11:35 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Thanks for your comments. The dilution issue and the spam issue are the reasons we have never set up individual province and state forums in the past.

#372390 - 04/12/11 08:22 AM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
NJCanuck Offline

Have you tried incorporating captcha or something of the sort to prevent the spamming? A forum I run has a lot of issues with spammers registering, but I closed the registration, and only allow people with reasonable e-mail addresses/user names to register (not just the ones with a random collection of letters for a user name)... it is definitely more work, but we've had no spam posted (except for deliberate ads by real live people, which I don't allow). If I'm not sure in a registrant I do a quick search online, and 99% their e-mail comes up under some sort of "stop forum spam" heading... I do need to update the software for my form, and start using captcha, but I have localization issues that prevent me from doing it without investing close to a week of programming in it, and I just don't have the time for that right now :(

#372393 - 04/12/11 08:37 AM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Spam is not so much of a problem now - which is one of the reasons why I thought it may be time to have another look at the individual province forums idea again.

We do use a captcha for registrations and since 30 posts are required before links can be posted we are not so attractive to spammers as we once were. Also, I have a large number of IPs from spammer countries blocked smile

#372395 - 04/12/11 08:57 AM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
I know that I've been trying to get every new Canadian member to post in this part of the forum for awhile but this section is fairly slow.

If you created 13 subforums (10 provinces + 3 territories) you would probably end up with a lot more dead sections (like wise if you added 50 states). I would recommend starting off creating one for Ontario Listings, since there seem to be a lot of Ontario members and maybe 1 other province to start?

Note: I would have no issue with FSBO's posting a listing.

Edited by Kjmendy (04/12/11 08:59 AM)

#372401 - 04/12/11 10:34 AM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Kjmendy]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Thanks for your input. That was my thinking as well the last time this idea came up for discussion (a few years ago).

At that time I was willing to set up individual forums as demand dictated and as long as someone from that particular state or province was willing to moderate the forum.

This time around I am thinking that having a moderator would be nice but may not be a necessity.

I do like the idea of only setting up forums for the more active provinces and states initially.

#372425 - 04/12/11 01:34 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
NJCanuck Offline

It would be odd to set up a separate section even for Ontario, as this section is practically dead... there's a post every 3 days or less, and very few replies... plus, how many Canadians who are not from Ontario on this board?

btw, the spammers are generally bots, it's usually not real people sitting and writing posts, so they don't care about the limit... even in the past few days there have been posts with links (yes, links didn't show up properly, but they were still there), so the main thing you can do is affect the bots' ability to register in some way...

btw, the restrictions on actual new members make it very hard for people to participate, I've been on here for almost 2 weeks, and I haven't been able to get enough posts to be able to quote properly... I don't want to post random stuff (i.e. saying "hi" to everyone who joins), that won't add much value, but when I see 2 or 3 posts that are interesting or to which I can contribute, I have to watch the clock or to remember to come back and post later :blush:

#375414 - 05/10/11 08:31 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
DavidPylyp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Etobicoke, Mississaug...
We pay for the right to post listings through our board fees.
Prospects can see my listings on my site or thru any agent or on MLS.ca

Having additional listings posted IMHO is unneccessary and a duplication of existing systems.
Humber Bay Shore Condos
[email] david@davidpylyp.com [/email]

#375415 - 05/10/11 08:36 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: DavidPylyp]
NJCanuck Offline

Originally Posted By: DavidPylyp
We pay for the right to post listings through our board fees.
Prospects can see my listings on my site or thru any agent or on MLS.ca

Having additional listings posted IMHO is unneccessary and a duplication of existing systems.

huh? the discussion was about adding more sub-forums on this board... it has nothing to do with any sort of listings on MLS...

#398946 - 01/16/12 07:40 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
Rezo Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Real estate forum is less active compare to forum with other topics, thus I believe open more sub forum will not add any value to the members!

#404750 - 04/09/12 07:36 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
huggyd Offline

Loc: Ontario
If there was more activity they sure set something up for the more active provinces but for a post every two or three days hmmm not really worth it. Maybe set up some new little icons for the main thread part have a ON or NF something like that so you know clicking on the thread its talking about ON 'Ontario'

#405005 - 04/14/12 02:03 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
cartert Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canad...
I don't think the Canadian real estate section is active enough to merit it's own subsections.

#432601 - 02/03/14 07:23 PM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Admin]
Agent 002 Offline

Loc: BC
I am from BC Canada. I didn't come to this "Canadian" section right away because of the name.
I think the name of this section "Canadian Real Estate Issues" implies that it's only about solving issues related to Canadian real estate.
Maybe if you change the name to something more generalized it'll get more interest from Canadian Realtors. Maybe just "Canadian Real Estate"
Just a thought. :)

#432623 - 02/04/14 06:47 AM Re: Thinking of adding individual province sub-forums - your opinions please [Re: Agent 002]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Thanks Kathy,

I will drop "Issues" smile

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (KandyC, sualk54, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10