Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28269339
No new orders today 13101742
Stupid MLS comments. 3276643
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189415
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061105
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028116
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822581
Let's talk about our cars 670945
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602695
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592369
Most common items found at an REO 575889
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440725
Main Street 419405
asset val seminar in colorado 407144
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340432
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306760
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#388102 - 08/30/11 05:08 AM Re: WHY WE WILL ALWAYS NEED REALTORS [Re: Darlene Bitner]
cosmica76 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
This is a result of bad behaviour of many people. I think our planet says last words before next big disaster. Look at te Global Warming. We should all know by now that water is a precious resource. Itís not only the source and support of all life, but it gives us pleasure and helps us the produce goods and services that we depend on and enjoy.
http://juliekinnear.com/blogs/local-warming-goes-global.html
More drained water causes the rapid rise of the oceansí water levels. You can see the relative volume of all water (and air) compared to the volume of the Earth. If this sounds to you like global warming, then youíve hit the nail on the head. Scientists now estimate that the effect of urbanization itself makes for a large proportion of global warming, adding significantly to the effect that greenhouse gasses have on the climate. People please, protect your homes and surroundings.

Edited by cosmica76 (08/30/11 05:13 AM)

Advertisements
#388105 - 08/30/11 06:09 AM Re: WHY WE WILL ALWAYS NEED REALTORS [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
Very interesting blog. Thanks for posting it. I will re-read it tomorrow and learn some things. Just keep speaking out because people need to know these things. You have inspired me to go outside at the end of the week and wash my car in the rain, assuming we have no lightning. We have three days with 50% chance of rain or greater. Slabs are cracked all over the area, I haven't seen a yard of green grass in months, and people are stepping in big cracks in their yards. Animal water bowls are full of ants. We are being asked to only water lawns at certain times on certain days AND to conserve electricity to avoid brownouts. Last year people listened and it helped. It is a mess but at least our homes are not flooded and our bridges are not washed out.

I believe people are in for some big changes in their lives and I feel for those who are not going to be able to adjust. Some would like to be more conservative but just have their hands full with a large family, a busy job and various hardships. These people will be okay if they have to cut back but many people are going to be shocked and angered at some of the sacrifices we are going to have to start making soon.

Keep on posting and talking and blogging.

#401915 - 02/23/12 12:27 AM How deeper is the impact of natural disaster on a country's land ?
Iftikhar Offline

Loc: Pakistan
Although Pakistan has recovered a lot but still more have to be recovered after the biggest earth quake in Pakistan's history 2005. Share some experiences how a natural disaster hit the thoughts of a single person and overall a country's strength.

#401931 - 02/23/12 06:25 AM Re: How deeper is the impact of natural disaster on a country's land ? [Re: Iftikhar]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

http://www.pakquake.com/

This site tells a lot about the aftermath of the natural disaster in 2005. Over 3 million were left homeless. How can anyone comprehend what that would be like? Certainly I can't. It was simply a nightmare for the country and I think people all over the world mourned with Pakistan.

And sadly, this article states that half the 73,000 killed were children. Families will rarely recover from losing a child.

I did read on their web site that Australian Aid International was one of the first NGO groups on the scene and that they stayed long after the initial emergency to help with long term recover. Check out this good organization.

http://www.aai.org.au/operations/pakistan/pakistan-earthquake.html

This type mega disaster is exactly why people all over the world are working together to improve temporary housing for victims. Tents come in first because they are easy to bring in and set up. Still, we need something just as quick and easy but with staying power, not tents that will blow away or fall down in a bad storm.

#421516 - 03/12/13 06:04 AM Re: WHY WE WILL ALWAYS NEED REALTORS [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

This was a real eye opener for me. I was shocked at how much damage a tree can do to property. Apparently selecting the right trees to plant should be something every homeowner needs to investigate. I moved my travel trailer to the prettiest spot in our park last year. The tree was just wonderful, shading me during the summer, until I had the shock of what a fast growing tree it is. Now limbs hang over my trailer and even brush the sides and roof when we have high winds. It's a tree that sheds nuts onto my roof, making a lot of noise. The squirrels came calling, making more noise as they harvested the nuts. Who wants to look through their skylights and see squirrels playing leapfrog over the covers. My wrecker driver who moved my trailer told me he had the same tree on his property. He laughed and said, "When those nuts fall, they sound like a Gatling gun." This tree has made me realize that people do not research enough when they plant trees in their new yards...or replace the ones damaged by hurricanes and other natural disasters. So...if you are finding a home for someone already under stress from losing their home to a natural disaster, it might help if you cautioned them to get expert advice to avoid hiring a landscaper who was not knowledgeable about trees. The scariest tree on the list IMHO was the one that died out inside but stayed green outside, making it a hidden fire hazard if planted too close to a home.

I always knew that some trees were not good choices to plant near a home...but read this list and see if you find it disturbing. It pays to use professional help when rebuilding AND replanting after a disaster.

Some of you may have tree horror stories of your own. If so, please post them.

http://www.houselogic.com/photos/plants-...cer-saccharinum

#421666 - 03/15/13 02:34 AM Sinkhole information for your concerned buyers [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a video on sinkholes that went out to a lot of agents. You may have received it already. The information is excellent, but I did opt out from further videos via email after I viewed it simply because I found the inclusion of Mr. Bush's tragic situation to be extremely insensitive...his body had not yet been recovered from the sinkhole when I received an email containing this video. Still, the video is worth watching for the sinkhole info.

http://thenationalrealestatepost.com/2013/03/04/protecting-your-clients-from-sinkholes/

Edited by Darlene Bitner (03/15/13 02:45 AM)

#421815 - 03/18/13 06:50 PM Re: Sinkhole information for your concerned buyers [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Great video - these guys are so entertaining and informative as well.

#424093 - 05/22/13 12:03 AM 2013 TORNADO OUTBREAKS [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05...xpert-says?lite

This article points out that the same methods used on the Gulf Coast to make our homes stronger and more resistant to hurricane winds could be used to keep homes from coming apart even in some strong tornadoes. This is a sad time for the families of anyone caught in the path of all these storms. It seems like people living in an area where these type storms happen frequently would want to build schools that offer at least some resistance to a tornado of this size. I understand folks not having the finances to retrofit their older homes, but a school holds our most precious resources and should be the best shelter it can for any disaster. Of course, I don't know the details and don't even live in that state. I question in my area why our public buildings can't be used as shelters during severe hurricanes, when so many families have substandard housing that offers no protection. I'd run to one in a heartbeat before I would ride out another hurricane where I live.

#427797 - 08/30/13 06:38 PM A QUIET 2013 HURRICANE SEASON SO FAR [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

So far, so good in the Gulf Coast...but lots of rain being generated around Florida lately. I stay glued to the hurricane blogs every time I think something is up...usually I get my first hint from the NHC map with the yellow and orange circles. For anything serious looking, I hop on the Wunderground blog and see what the weather folks on there think.

Of course I am concerned for my area but also for the other coastal states, the islands and Mexico. I do remember driving around after Ike and seeing all the damage around the area. The new builder subdivisions (I drove through a few) may have had a few shingles missing here and there, but most of the homes, probably five years old or newer, had none. It was hard to tell they had even been through a hurricane. I guess every time an older home is taken out by a major hurricane, a newer, stronger one goes in.

I just did a Google map search of Buras, Louisiana, which is the southern most city in Louisiana, southeast of New Orleans. My mother, brother and I lived there years ago for a while when my father worked offshore for Brown & Root. All I saw were travel trailers, some mobiles and a few new homes on pilings. That town suffered severe damage and it will be hard to rebuild it to where it was before Katrina.

I do believe that in the future homes can be built to withstand the strongest hurricane winds...maybe even some tornados if the owner can afford to pay the price. I do not think we can build a home that can withstand a strong earthquake and come out with minimal damage...and definitely not a sinkhole. I recently researched the sinkholes and found that we are not making too much progress in being able to predict when they will strike.

Soon hurricane season will be over for 2013 and then the blizzards start for some parts of the country. Down here we may go a few years without a hurricane but up north, winter storms seem to me like they come every year. Given the choice, I would put my money into weather resistant materials over granite and good looks any day...but let's see what happens if I ever get back into the "real house" mode. Right now, I'm still in my little travel trailer I bought after Ike. My stuff is in storage...that is an expression I have said over and over when I run into people I haven't seen in a while and they find out I live in a travel trailer. As long as it is quiet and safe, I'm staying until the US economy is back in full swing. (Okay...I just love tiny living. It is just so easy, and I can evacuate all my contents in just a few hours. It helps that I have a wonderful park that actually looks like a park. I am in one of the quietest places in my town...and there are not that many left anymore, sadly.)

Just so we remember what hurricanes and flooding can do to the normal home, take a look at this site when you get a few minutes and see the many photos taken after Katrina. How sad that a family has to leave a spray-painted message for other family members and friends, telling them they are all safe. Phones are gone, cells are missing, cars are destroyed, forget about email because nobody has a computer...families were just happy to find a can of spray paint that survived so they could leave messages to loved ones who may finally make it to the family home. Have a hankie ready when you look at these photos.

http://www.pbase.com/pdtaylor/hurricane_katrina

Edited by Darlene Bitner (08/30/13 06:40 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Venturepacific), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 39
estatereal 18
Flare616 16
Trouble 13
Snapple 12
RonnieEmz 12
Logan Five 11
Lucky Leonardo 11