Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28272723
No new orders today 13101952
Stupid MLS comments. 3276806
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189533
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061265
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028272
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822791
Let's talk about our cars 671085
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602733
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592472
Most common items found at an REO 576153
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440766
Main Street 419496
asset val seminar in colorado 407207
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340458
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306819
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425684 - 07/04/13 12:13 PM 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered
eagleusa Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
We are set to close on our dream home in 11 days. Everything had been going well up until we determined that the home has carpenter ants. This discovery was made outside of the ten day inspection period.

We first observed the ants while using a flashlight to examine the space between the carpet and baseboard. The area contained well over 50 dead ants. This lead us up the window area directly above dead ants. The base of the window frame had several black spots on it; the middle part of the frame had a few tiny holes. I pushed into one of those holes and had that area collapse. This in turn unleashed a swarm of ants. Within that void there was a clean channel that appeared to be well formed.

Upon this discovery my realtor immediately contacted the owner of the pest inspection company. His solution is to spray for free until they are gone.

I had different pest inspector out to examine the issue who concluded that the infestation had been there for awhile and that it needs to be treated ASAP. When asked about the extent of the damage she said that unless they got into the walls, they couldn't say. One good thing is that the ants were only observed in that one room and area.

Monday morning I've got a call scheduled with owner of the original pest control company. That same day the supplemental work is set to start. My plan right now is to put the supplemental on hold until we can asses the extent of the damage. If its just that window area, I will fix it and go forward. If its the whole house, other things will happen.

I understand that the original pest inspector is liable for all this. I don't want to get into a legal thing - I would rather just walk.

My question: What type of inspector can asses this situation without ripping the walls down? I've read about how endoscopic cameras can be used to evaluate this- I just don't know where to find them.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Advertisements
#425685 - 07/04/13 01:11 PM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
Inspectorjeff Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Even with cameras, the extent of the infestation cannot be fully determined. Generally, the most effective course is (unfortunately) destructive testing.

You might try a company that uses "ultrasound" or some other type of acoustic testing if there is anyone in your area, although this type of testing can be quite expensive.

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
http://www.MyInspector.net

#426914 - 08/08/13 06:05 PM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
spaul8809 Offline

Loc: Canada
Home inspector use thermal imaging technique for identifying facts about our home. Thermal imaging is an advance technique through which we can perform investigation and identify defects of our home. It basically works on rays which are emitted by an object. This shows a perfect picture of the object with pin point defects.

#426924 - 08/09/13 02:47 AM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
So you think a colony of Carpenter Ants would emit enough infrared heat to be detected by your thermal imaging device ?

I didn't even know whether Ants were Cold Blooded or Warm Blooded !

#426934 - 08/09/13 04:30 AM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
Inspectorjeff Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Insects do not produce heat, i.e., they are "cold-blooded." Therefore, they will not likely produce a definable signature on the palate of the IR camera.

If they are within the wall cavity, there will be no signature at all from the insects themselves. IR can aid in detecting "voids" or "caverns" within the walls, but destructive testing will still likely be necessary to verify the source of the anomaly.

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
http://www.MyInspector.net

#441958 - 01/01/15 07:15 AM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: Inspectorjeff]
Pete Campbell
Unregistered

Carpenter ants nest in moisture damaged wood. Moisture should show up on an infrared scan. But such damage can often be visually observed without expensive and fancy 'tools'.

#446918 - 07/31/15 11:35 AM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
BldgInsp Offline

Loc: Florida
In Florida, and most states, carpenter ants are not a disclosure on the WDO inspection. Carpenter ants do not eat wood but rather use old termite/beetle galleries for storage/nesting.

#457346 - 04/13/17 08:08 AM Re: 11 days from closing - carpenter ants discovered [Re: eagleusa]
ajwclw@gmail.com Offline

Loc: MI
What is the best moisture detecting tool for inspection?

AJ Wilson
Certified home Inspection
Wilson Inspected

Edited by Admin (04/13/17 09:21 AM)
Edit Reason: url and phone number removed. Please put these in your profile.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
HR VerdeMFS, PMacpherson, Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225
29798 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (KandyC, Jim Erickson, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 68
Vermont 37
estatereal 15
Trouble 12
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Flare616 9
waka 9
Analog Man 8