Investors United School of Real Estate Investing
Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Good Ideas
Free Marketing Kit

How To Advertise Here

Sponsors
More Good Ideas!
Get Listed In The Realtor Directory

Internet Marketing Tips for Realtors

Build your brand on a Real Estate Site

Facebook
Sponsors
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#416301 - 11/30/12 05:28 PM Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents
new agent Offline

Loc: los angeles, ca
I'm a new agent and am considering joining Coldwell Banker (CB).
CB has a mandatory, $2,095 per year, legal assistance program, on top of the usual realtor/mls fees.
70/30 split, 1.75% desk fee/affiliate fee on finalized transactions (closings).

How do other big brokers compare? Do they have mandatory legal assistance programs?

CB 2 week training seems highly rated. First 2 transactions are overseen by manager.

I just don't want to find out I made a big mistake 6 months down the road, having paid that much up front to be associated with a large broker.

#416313 - 11/30/12 10:13 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey, California
WOW, a hefty legal assistance fee...now, why didn't I think of that to charge my struggling agents? Oh, just remembered why, it is a free member service from the California Association of Realtors.

#416321 - 12/01/12 05:14 AM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
pikes peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CO
I thought that is why we pay for E&O insurance? I'd look for a different company.

#416339 - 12/01/12 10:16 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: pikes peak]
new agent Offline

It's not E&O, it's a legal assistance program. It's a program that hires in-house or out-house lawyers to defend you and the broker in case any one files a suit against you.

#416340 - 12/01/12 10:35 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Then that is what E & O is for with limitations.

I suggest you interview and compare other brokers and if possible, speak with an agent or two in the brokers' office before deciding. Gee, you have not even started making money yet and you are being hit up for fees up the ying yang.

This is the first time I am hearing about such a fee, but maybe someone else who works for one of the franchises may jump in and explain it better, if it does exist.

#416341 - 12/01/12 10:36 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I wanna see one of those Out-House Lawyers; but NOT in his Office.

#416342 - 12/01/12 10:39 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: Vermont]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

LOL.....this is California.....out house lawyers must line up behind the ambulance chasers.

#416347 - 12/02/12 01:51 AM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: CALIF DREAMING]
new agent Offline

E&O I assumed was for protection, but not in this case.
I forgot to mention that this is a CB broker in an upscale area of Los Angeles, California.

#416357 - 12/02/12 01:49 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: new agent
I forgot to mention that this is a CB broker in an upscale area of Los Angeles, California.

Well then, if it's "upscale", everything has to be super-sized, even if it smells a little like a swindle.

Remember, when disgruntled Customers and Clients want to sue, they go for the deepest pockets and sue the Broker. You're just going to be an Agent of the Broker, who is vicariously responsible for every mistake you make (if any). That's why they carry E&O.

This legal assistance program gives the appearance of being a separate little kitty or contingency fund that they like to have you feed "just in case"; but above and beyond the ordinary E&O Coverage. Is it a pooled fund, or are your contributions kept separate to pay for your defense so that just in case, unlikely as it may be, that someone sues you specifically, and no one else . . . . you'll be covered ?

And if you leave without ever tapping your Fund, without the excitement of being sued individually . . . . can you take your money with you ?

I think you already know the answer . . . . but it's upscale !

BTW, that there 1% Desk Fee . . . . how's that calculated ?
Is it off the top or 1% of your 70% of the 70/30 split ?

Good Luck.

#416363 - 12/02/12 05:36 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: Vermont]
new agent Offline

CB charges the legal fee every year. Move, and you lose it. The way CB explains it is that even if you move to another broker, you could be sued for your time at CB.

I'll need to get back to you on the desk fee, to see if it's from the top, or from my 70%.

I wished that any CB realtors would chime in, from the LA area.

#416377 - 12/02/12 06:56 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
I'm not familiar with such a fee. I'd talk to other franchises (RE/Max, Keller Williams, Century 21, etc) and see if that is common practice for them as well.

#416645 - 12/07/12 10:35 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: new agent]
KT Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ohio
So I took a couple of minutes & Googled this whole thing. CB has this program included with a copy of their IC agreement in a .pdf online. From my understanding it could, but doesn't nec, replace an office's E&O policy. It's almost like an in-house E&O type deal.

It seems like the same concept, except that it's paid for upfront. Any co around here I've been with did/does charge for E&O on per transaction basis.

Usually, when an agent/broker (or any one who carries E&O insurance) is sued, the policy that was in effect at the time of service; ie, date of sale, would cover the lawsuit. As long as it wasn't a Fair Housing violation, or fraud, or something criminal.

Unless CB's "program" is underwritten by an actual insurance co, and they have an addition E&O policy, I would want more info before tossing in the dough. Like what's covered, what isn't, what are the "program's" limits money-wise.

#416650 - 12/08/12 03:07 AM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: KT]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
If your broker is responsible for making sure you are properly trained and you follow the code of ethics why should you need legal insurance on top of E and O insurance?
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#416659 - 12/08/12 01:29 PM Re: Coldwell Banker mandatory legal assistance program for new agents [Re: johnnyloans]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: johnnyloans
If your broker is responsible for making sure you are properly trained and you follow the code of ethics why should you need legal insurance on top of E and O insurance?
Follow the money. Insurance Companies exist to feed off the fear of the "what if"; but in this case, some executive within Coldwell Banker has been influenced to think that this should be mandatory.

Once the need had been created, you can never have too much insurance . . . . too little money; but not too much insurance.

It's like when they invented "Suspenders" . . . . didn't they replace the need for a Belt ?

Why no, what if something happened to the Suspenders? You're still covered by the Belt, and vice-versa. So many careful consumers wear both a Belt and Suspenders just to be on the "safe side". Nothing wrong with that, and besides, more people are employed.

But I digress.

(Follow the money !)

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Sponsors

Newest Members
Sprocket, CPT, Pransha Paul, CPAagent, Lacey Muckleroy
25957 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Alwaysthenewbie, Muniart, 1 invisible), 168 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
David Hunter 56
gitmonee 36
Vermont 30
75Corvette 21
12 step 4 BPOs? 19
BrianMI 18
EdBrancheau 17
Cyrille 15
Bigtoe 14