Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271068
No new orders today 13101840
Stupid MLS comments. 3276709
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189479
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061188
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028176
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822648
Let's talk about our cars 671002
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602716
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592421
Most common items found at an REO 576021
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440741
Main Street 419454
asset val seminar in colorado 407157
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340445
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306781
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410041 - 07/12/12 04:24 AM dirt built home
jumpman Offline

Loc: houston tx
i have a question well im getting a new home built and i notice when they were installing thermo ply they didnt install ply wood after that they just added the siding on top of the thermo ply shouldnt ply wood or tyvek cover the thermo ply

im new to this can yall help me if thats correct or what should i do

Advertisements
#410042 - 07/12/12 06:05 AM Re: dirt built home [Re: jumpman]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Don't you have architectural plans for the building ?

Your Building Contract should reference those plans.

There should be a clear cross-section of the exterior vertical walls in the plan.

Now, compare what's being done on-site with what the plans call for.

If you want it done differently, then you'll have to ask for a change in the plans.

#410043 - 07/12/12 06:11 AM Re: dirt built home [Re: jumpman]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
These dirt homes have always made me curious as to how they were put together.

I just did a quick search to see what web sites were out there on dirt homes...not as many as cropped up about Thermo-ply. I found the Berry Plastics web site and their info on Thermo-ply Total, comparing it to OSB. So maybe it is an all-in-one product and replaces the Tyvek...BUT please search the net a little more, as I will, to see if this is a product that takes the place of the plywood or Tyvek.

Everyone gets nervous when they see the walls of any type home going up in a fashion different than is traditional. Certainly you are smart to want an answer to this question because this is the critical stage that will determine how well made the home is and how it reacts in those critical stages...insulation, ventilation and so forth.

Is your builder a member of any associations that could explain the dirt home building process to you in more depth? I assume you will ask your builder tomorrow about the exterior wall application. They should be able to explain to you why they use the products they use and the building methods they use. I'm sorry I am not qualified to do it but I will definitely research it. Thermo-ply does appear to be a known home building product with some advanced qualities. You would just sleep better knowing all the facts. You may try calling the Thermo-ply folks for a quicker answer. I did find out that it is used to reach LEED reqirements. However, I was just in Contractortalk.com and some of the guys on the message board didn't like it. I'm sure there are message boards with builders who do like it as well. The product being used on your home may be a newer grade than the message board was discussing, as none of them had used it in recent years of the posts I read...and a lot of progress has been made in building materials in the last few years.

None of us on here are builders that I know of, so naturally we only have opinions that have to be checked out by those professionals who do know. I will research just to see if I can find some info on this product and dirt homes. Sorry I don't have any actual and factual info for you.

Congratulations on taking a giant eco step and building a dirt home. Please keep us updated and if possible post pics. We would love to have photos of the construction process as well as the finished product...your wonderful new dirt home. These dirt homes have a lot going for them.

Darlene

#410044 - 07/12/12 06:19 AM Re: dirt built home [Re: Darlene Bitner]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Vermont, when I started my post, you had not posted yet. When I woke up at the keyboard, I had to finish editing and hit submit. Don't know how long I was napping but I couldn't make it without those little cap naps at the keyboard. Yawn.

I hope we get some cool pics of this dirt home going up and definitely the finished product.

Darlene

#410069 - 07/12/12 07:40 PM Re: dirt built home [Re: jumpman]
jumpman Offline

Loc: houston tx
ok this is what the builder said

t-ly is our moisture barriers it would go over any plywood not the other way around our engineers have tested the structure for the windstorm gust based on our location they hace put the math to it and determined the red structral t-ply is all that is required in most areas of the home there some areas the house that does have both phywood and t-ply I.E. the front area by the garage and front door area

do i post pics in this thread or were do i post the pics of the progress

Edited by jumpman (07/12/12 07:42 PM)

#411163 - 08/11/12 02:51 AM Re: dirt built home [Re: jumpman]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Sorry for late responding...I moved rather suddenly when the perfect space became available at my RV park. I had two days notice to empty my trailer, move it from the back of the park to the front of the park, set it up, then move back in. I am just getting settled in. I have three shaded parking spaces and a deck. Sorry I was distracted.

You can post pics in the thread. Some people post links to where the pics are located but that takes them out of the forum. Either way, everyone love pics...so post what you have. You are probably well along with your dirt home by now. Hopefully you have had time to snap pics at each stage but if not, then post what you have when you can. Thanks.

Darlene

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 88 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 75
Vermont 41
Flare616 16
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10