Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28355722
No new orders today 13124144
Stupid MLS comments. 3311658
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208576
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082872
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043543
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 836058
Let's talk about our cars 682071
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603839
Most common items found at an REO 594605
EML 459233
REOTRANS 449172
Main Street 435248
asset val seminar in colorado 415580
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346939
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317357
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410449 - 07/23/12 03:59 AM Door Knocking for a client?
Whiptea Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi! I have a client who's looking to move into a condo. However it's very specific that it has to be a 3 bedroom condo; which are few and far between. I was thinking of actually going to the complex and trying to find out which ones were 3 bedrooms and convince one to sell. What would be the best way to approach this and at the same time how would this work? Dual agency and would you still charge the same commission or discount because you already have a buyer lined up?

Thanks!

Advertisements
#410465 - 07/23/12 05:57 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
I would not touch this with a ten foot pole. You do not have a client if they want something that is not for sale. You will end up spinning your wheels and end up frustrated and broke. Devote your time to generating clients who you can actually help.

If you do find someone who is willing to sell it will most likely be someone who is so flattered by your request that they think their condo is the best condo ever built. If you find a condo and it is overpriced does your buyer have cash and are they willing to pay higher than market value?

Put this new client on a list and keep them updated until something comes on the market which will meet their needs.

#410471 - 07/23/12 07:27 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
does it have to be 3 bedroom in a certain complex?

Edited by johnnyloans (07/23/12 07:28 PM)
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#410472 - 07/23/12 07:41 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
In my experience when they are that dug in, it has to be 1 specific feature, they are are not that serious. You will finally find one, then the buyer will say, I need a 3rd bathroom also. Then all Bigtoes comments come into play.

I'd put them on a watch list.

#410485 - 07/24/12 02:42 AM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I don't see the issue here, although I might make sure this is really a motivated buyer, you should be doing that with every buyer. This exercise gets you out knocking doors looking for potential sellers. Good chance one ends up listing with you, IMO. This is miles better than sitting in the office hoping a new listing matches what your "maybe" buyer is looking for. I say go for it. FYI I role play with an agent in Utah who gets about 1/2 of his business literally cold-dialing phone numbers. He's on pace for 50 closings this month. For every 125 people he talks to he closes one deal. You'll be surprised at the results!

#410489 - 07/24/12 10:58 AM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Just remember "who" came first. You began working on behalf of the prospective Buyer (Client?) before you even knew the Seller existed. Doing this creates an "implied" Agency with the Buyer.

So I would NOT attempt to make that a Listing until I was certain that my primary "Client" is not interested. Otherwise you are automatically putting yourself in the position of being a Dual Agent, which is forbidden in many jurisdictions.

If you find the "right" condo, write it up as the Buyer's Agent and take your compensation from the proceeds of the Transaction.

For Real Estate Agents, it's critical to always be conscious of "who" you are working for and whose best interests are paramount. Some Agents find themselves being reminded by their Real Estate Commissions when they lose sight of this.

To be involved, you do have to represent at least one side of a Transaction; but you want to avoid representing BOTH.

#410494 - 07/24/12 01:46 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Odds are that if you do find somebody willing to sell right away they will want top dollar for their place ie. well over market, and your clients will have no ability to negotiate.

You will probably get the best rests to just mail a letter to the current condo owners and wait for a reasonable seller to pop up in a few months.

#410517 - 07/24/12 05:28 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Whiptea]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
People knock doors to sell newspapers, magazines, invitations to attend their church event -- you'd better go knock those doors. Knock all of them, not just the 3-beds, while you're out there - a 1-bedder might know a 3-bedder who needs to downsize or sell - you don't know until you ask!

Stop sitting on your thumbs and get out there...or I'll call your client and go do it for him myself and take your buyer from you plus list 3 more that I found by door-knocking and get rave reviews from your former buyer plus the 3 more sellers that I found while you were hemming and hawing on a message board.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#410528 - 07/24/12 09:06 PM Re: Door Knocking for a client? [Re: Mike Burchyett]
Whiptea Offline

Loc: CA, USA
You read my mind! I was wondering what his script for cold dialing people were? I was thinking it might be more professional cold calling vs door knocking. I have no problem door knocking, I've done it in my area already.

Thanks!

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ProSPM123, CarolRPhilly, Ammar Imran, Angela123, LewTube
29907 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Long Walk, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
estatereal 21
VABroker 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 15
sualk54 9
jreal413 9
MissionJoe 7