Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270970
No new orders today 13101835
Stupid MLS comments. 3276704
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189473
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061182
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028174
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822643
Let's talk about our cars 671001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602715
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592416
Most common items found at an REO 576018
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440740
Main Street 419452
asset val seminar in colorado 407156
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340445
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306780
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#376099 - 05/18/11 06:13 AM Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring
BPOmaster Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: FL
I recently had a listing inspected and the inspector made a big fuss to the potential buyer because the home had aluminum wiring and told the buyer the home would not be insurable until the wiring was changed to copper. This home was built in 1976 and I read that homes built prior to 1972 using 1350 series aluminum wiring were the homes in question not homes built in 1976 using a 8000+ grade wire. Does anyone know the story about this to confirm aluminum wires are normal and approved in the building code in 1976+ ? How does a inspector determine the series of wire in the home?
What are the insurance rules now on a FL home as it pwrtains to this issue?

Advertisements
#384870 - 07/29/11 09:41 PM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: BPOmaster]
Insurance Guru Offline

Loc: Texas
The inspector is not an insurance agent-- He is not totally correct. There are several companies in the non-standard market that write insurance for homes with alum wiring. Also, there are standard carriers that will write insurance for homes that have alum wiring -BUT- have copper connected to the outlets--this is a much cheaper version than having the entire wiring replaced. I suggest that you can call 3-5 major insurance companies and ask them about their underwriting guidelines regarding alum wiring and alum wiring connected to copper.

#384883 - 07/30/11 05:55 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: Insurance Guru]
DRSRK Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Originally Posted By: Insurance Guru
The inspector is not an insurance agent-- He is not totally correct. There are several companies in the non-standard market that write insurance for homes with alum wiring. Also, there are standard carriers that will write insurance for homes that have alum wiring -BUT- have copper connected to the outlets--this is a much cheaper version than having the entire wiring replaced. I suggest that you can call 3-5 major insurance companies and ask them about their underwriting guidelines regarding alum wiring and alum wiring connected to copper.

I have bought and sold many homes in the Midwest and have never had an insurance agent ask me what kind of wiring was in the house. Some of these houses were 80 years old and were insured by major (State Farm-American Family and the like)companies. They always seem to be more concerned how old the roof was and if it had a fireplace. Is this a Florida issue? Is an insurance agent supposed to ask if it has aluminum wiring?

Of the houses I have bought and sold some have had inspections by buyers and none have ever been turned down by buyers because of aluminum wiring and I know some of them did in fact have aluminum wiring. Maybe this is just a Florida issue because of humidity.

One thing I forgot to add there is an issue with aluminum wiring if the correct receptacles and switches are not used with it.This happened in the sixties when aluminum wiring was used more.I think this is the less costly fix that insurance guru is speaking of. Involves changing out switches and receptacles if they are not correct.

Edited by DRSRK (07/30/11 06:21 AM)
“There are no secrets to success: don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence.” Colin Powell

#384886 - 07/30/11 07:08 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: DRSRK]
BPOmaster Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: DRSRK
Originally Posted By: Insurance Guru

I have bought and sold many homes in the Midwest and have never had an insurance agent ask me what kind of wiring was in the house. Some of these houses were 80 years old and were insured by major (State Farm-American Family and the like)companies. They always seem to be more concerned how old the roof was and if it had a fireplace. Is this a Florida issue? Is an insurance agent supposed to ask if it has aluminum wiring?

Of the houses I have bought and sold some have had inspections by buyers and none have ever been turned down by buyers because of aluminum wiring and I know some of them did in fact have aluminum wiring. Maybe this is just a Florida issue because of humidity.

One thing I forgot to add there is an issue with aluminum wiring if the correct receptacles and switches are not used with it.This happened in the sixties when aluminum wiring was used more.I think this is the less costly fix that insurance guru is speaking of. Involves changing out switches and receptacles if they are not correct.

Great information, thank you. Problem in South Florida this time of year, you only have ONE choice of insurance companies. After arguing the inspectors report and bringing a licensed electrician, they tabled the issue on the report leaving the final decision to the insurance company's mitagator who must inspect the homes also before insurance is issued here. It's really tough here in FL during hurricane season. We have to turn to the last resort, state backed / funded insurer Citizens. Before we arrived at the final inspection, the buyer's financing was denied. We are now entering another contract and getting ready to go through the process once again. frown

#384888 - 07/30/11 07:28 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: BPOmaster]
DRSRK Offline

Loc: Phoenix

Quote:

Great information, thank you. Problem in South Florida this time of year, you only have ONE choice of insurance companies. After arguing the inspectors report and bringing a licensed electrician, they tabled the issue on the report leaving the final decision to the insurance company's mitagator who must inspect the homes also before insurance is issued here. It's really tough here in FL during hurricane season. We have to turn to the last resort, state backed / funded insurer Citizens. Before we arrived at the final inspection, the buyer's financing was denied. We are now entering another contract and getting ready to go through the process once again.

I sure it must have to do with hurricanes but why would you only have one company to pick from this time of year? I guess I am glad my wife talked me out of south Florida or south Texas as a warmer destination to live. The only thing we worry about here in Arizona are the rattle snakes,Haboobs and centipedes. But we do have plenty of insurance companies to chose from. State Farm probably has twenty agents within a five mile radius of my house.

Have a good day

Edited by DRSRK (07/30/11 07:29 AM)
“There are no secrets to success: don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence.” Colin Powell

#384891 - 07/30/11 07:59 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: DRSRK]
STEW Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: FLORIDA

Multiple insurance companies write policies in Florida, however some areas are deemed too high risk by traditional insurance companies and they wont write policies in these area. Thus the state sponsored Citizens is the only choice and they can be extemely difficult.
When an immediate huricane warning is in place all companies will freeze writing policies until this is lifted. Its not the season its the immediate threat. We have had many closings delayed for these reasons in the past active huricane seasons but so far this year is good.

#384895 - 07/30/11 08:15 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: DRSRK]
BPOmaster Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: DRSRK

Quote:

Great information, thank you. Problem in South Florida this time of year, you only have ONE choice of insurance companies. After arguing the inspectors report and bringing a licensed electrician, they tabled the issue on the report leaving the final decision to the insurance company's mitagator who must inspect the homes also before insurance is issued here. It's really tough here in FL during hurricane season. We have to turn to the last resort, state backed / funded insurer Citizens. Before we arrived at the final inspection, the buyer's financing was denied. We are now entering another contract and getting ready to go through the process once again.

I sure it must have to do with hurricanes but why would you only have one company to pick from this time of year? I guess I am glad my wife talked me out of south Florida or south Texas as a warmer destination to live. The only thing we worry about here in Arizona are the rattle snakes,Haboobs and centipedes. But we do have plenty of insurance companies to chose from. State Farm probably has twenty agents within a five mile radius of my house.

Have a good day

That's all true and State farm does not write policies in S Florida at all anymore. Only car and misc. Any insurance company you go to this time of year will underwrite a policy with the one insurer, Citizens till we get past NOV.

#386888 - 08/17/11 10:27 AM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: BPOmaster]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Aluminum wiring can be "pig tailed" with copper connectors inside panels/junction boxes and switch/outlet boxes to make them safe.
It is not very expensive and locally acceptable by all insurance companies.

#408067 - 06/05/12 02:34 PM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: BPOmaster]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
The only thing wrong with Life Insurance is that you have to croak in order to collect.

Plus . . . . it doesn't have anything to do with the purpose of this Forum.

#408068 - 06/05/12 02:38 PM Re: Florida insurance rules / aluminum wiring [Re: BPOmaster]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
The only thing wrong with Life Insurance is that you have to croak in order to collect.

Plus . . . . it doesn't have anything to do with the purpose of this Forum.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (grexley, TORESecrets, Aabida, Daniel1234, moonstone, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 40
Flare616 16
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10