Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28353122
No new orders today 13123588
Stupid MLS comments. 3309986
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208039
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082668
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043294
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 835834
Let's talk about our cars 681557
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614423
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603622
Most common items found at an REO 593815
EML 459233
REOTRANS 448909
Main Street 434845
asset val seminar in colorado 415257
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346850
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317123
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407484 - 05/28/12 03:35 AM Daily door knocking activity for you to view
Erik Webster Offline

Loc: Broward County, FL
I have decided to go the extra step in accountability. I have started in a new farm area 35 miles south of where I was to be closer to my very ill father. I started a accountability blog where I go over my daily numbers and results, with any funny stories included (including epic fails when they happen smile )

I will also post in this thread as well when I go out. I will track # of contacts via door and go over how its going in depth. I will start on Tuesday (the day after Memorial Day) and will be walking/driving the farm tomorrow (on Memorial Day). This isn't a advertisement of any system, its just to share how its going on a daily basis and to be a accountability tool. If anyone else wants to join and post their results from their own efforts that would be awesome as well smile

I setup a blog at http://doorknockingdiary.blogspot.com/ where I will be recounting my adventures as well.

Advertisements
#407485 - 05/28/12 04:23 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Well done!! I also have been a 90-95% buyer's agent and am working on switching to the listing side. I'm on the MFO plan....looking forward to reading your success!

#407487 - 05/28/12 04:31 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Mike Burchyett]
Erik Webster Offline

Thanks smile

Its as much a to keep me accountable.

I want to look back over the year and see my own adventure rather than everything blurring into the daily grind.

Edited by Erik Webster (05/28/12 04:46 AM)

#407488 - 05/28/12 04:32 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

How to choose a prospecting zone is one of the most critical issues when you begin. I had spent the last few days driving around, looking at the MLS, looking at demographic data on the US census.

I found two areas that I feel are good bets based on the sales numbers and I am going to share the reasons I choose them.

The two geographic areas are both located in Hollywood, Florida. They are physically adjacent to each other. One neighborhood is called Hollywood Hills and the other is called Club at Emerald Hills or Emerald Hills.

Here are the reasons this area is perfect.

The area is roughly a grid work so keeping my north-south / east-west orientation will be fairly simple. To zoom in and take a look of the area you can go to http://www.mapquest.com/#b2e982c84c9a1210f25cfd4c and get an idea of how the streets are laid out.

The zone has dense housing, so I will not need to walk far to get to the next house and my real estate signs can build momentum over time as they are seen in the area. Also there are plenty of parking lots at strip malls, churches, and parks so I can put my car in a neutral place and walk to different parts of the area.

The demographics are favorable for what I am shooting for. The homes are older, built in the 60s and 70s and they didn't get pumped up as hard as other homes in the huge real estate run up in the 2000's. So there are far less short sales and REO's as other areas to the west like Cooper City.

The area also has a built in buyer base, it is dead center of several major Jewish temples, and they have to live close because they have to walk to service every Saturday (this is not a racial or exclusionary statement, I fully believe that anyone who wants to buy a home can, its is just a local market observation based on reality).

The area is between two major highways the Florida Turnpike and I-95 which are both North/South corridors.. so it allows folks to use this as a bedroom community for Miami to the south and Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton to the North.

Hollywood Hills - The area of Hollywood Hills is essentially a box, it has Hollywood Boulevard on the south, Taft Street on the North, N. 56th Avenue West and N. Park Road on the East.

It has 2637 Single Family Homes on the Realist Tax Records

1.5% active (39 homes)
1.45% pending/contingent (38 homes)
That puts 3% into play currently active and pending
91 sold in last 12 months with average price of $207,000 and 83 days on market. 3.45% turnover
So it has a good turnover with a middle to tight market of homes on the market keeping the price up somewhat.

Emerald Hills - The area of Club at Emerald Hills/Emerald Hills is also essentially a box. It is slightly to the north of Hollywood Hills. It is defined as N. 46th Avenue on the Western border and N. Park road on the Eastern side of the box. It has Sheridan Street as the South and Stirling Road as the Northern part of the box.

It has 2614 Single Family Homes on the Realist Tax records.

40 active (1.5%)
0.5% pending/contingent (15 homes)
So 2% in play right now
76 Sold in last 12 months with average price of $198,611. 101 Days on market. 3% turnover.
It has a solid 12 month turnover, the market is a bit tighter than Hollywood Hills, which is why I will cross into this market in a few months when I finish up Hollywood Hills.
So between both areas I have over $5,000 homes to work in with 167 homes sold in the past 12 months as of today. With the average price being about $200,000 in both area and going with a conservative 2.75% per transaction I will gross commission income (GCI) at $5,500 per deal.

To break my goal of $200,000 in GCI over the next 12 months I will need to do 37 transactions rounded up. I need 60-70% of that to be from the seller side and 30-40% from the buyer side.

Edited by Erik Webster (05/28/12 05:07 AM)

#407516 - 05/28/12 01:18 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
Hi Eric,

I also got Bill Nasby's training based on your recommedation and plan to start this week. I will join you. Have you been doing it the past few weeks? I remember reading that you had started a couple of months ago. How has it been going for you?

#407522 - 05/28/12 02:36 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Erik Webster Offline

In Boca Raton (35 miles to the north of where I am restarting at) I have 9 seller leads of folks who are selling the next 12 months. I gave my brokerage 2 buyer leads from folks leasing their homes. I am going to follow up on those leads once a month on a Sunday.

#407551 - 05/28/12 06:28 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

http://doorknockingdiary.blogspot.com/2012/05/surveying-my-door-knocking-area.html

Today is Memorial Day 2012. Everyone is off for the most part and the weather was nice with some clouds.

Today I spent the day driving nearly every block in my 2 farm areas. I took me about 2-3 hours and was very educational. There are several semi-hidden areas that have town homes in the Emerald Hills area. I am going to have to hit those up in a few months when I move onto that area.

There were 5 For Sale By Owner signs in both farm areas. There were a few "for rent" signs, some by other agents. The great news is that there is NO dominant Realtor in the area. There was one small block in the Emerald Hills country club that had two signs by the same lady agent... that didn't scare me off.

My idea to start in the more southern farm of Hollywood Hills makes more sense as I drive through the area. It has a lot of churches, playgrounds, and public parking scattered through the farm area.

I saw a moving truck outside one home and a small moving truck outside another town home. Maybe I will get them next time on the flip side. The neighborhoods were nice and clean, with quite a few police cars in the driveway (can't wait to knock a local cops door).

Saw quite a few Jewish families walking back from their temples today, the ladies tend to dress in black and white. Today is the Jewish holiday of Shavuot, where they celebrate the giving of the Torah. My broker Martin Cohen at Exit Family Realty (a card carrying member of the tribe) lives in this area and is going to let me know when the holidays pop up so that I don't waste my time by hitting folks on their holy days. The area that I am hitting has a high concentration of Jewish folks, so it makes sense to not waste time talking business when they are religiously forbidden from... talking business.

This area should be great to hit between 5:30pm to 7:45pm Monday - Thursday and Sunday between 2-6pm. Saturday and Friday night will most likely be a dead zone for prospecting.

Edited by Erik Webster (05/28/12 06:31 PM)

#407553 - 05/28/12 07:18 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

In the last decade of being involved in Real Estate, Mortgage and Insurance I am always amazed that there are folks who preach that you don't need to prospect to get business. They have a magic system that flows leads into your pipeline. They say you can build your business by referral only or by using a magic mailer/internet system/unique selling proposition.

After buying a ton of these systems I can tell you that most of it is garbage. The only times in my sales career I have ever had success is when I hit the phones, doors, or meet prospects. Real Estate training is a magical land of snake oil sales people since they are dealing with agents who want to build their dream business ... and rarely is it any persons dream to get doors slammed in their face or get hung up on. Hence, the allure of "easy marketing" type of systems.

If you spend a ton of money on direct marketing, internet pay per click/search engine optimization, or do print advertising with call capture you will still need to hit the phones to follow up with the contacts on a regular basis. Essentially you are still calling folks, only you have just blown 50-80% of your net profit to skip the least popular step... prospecting. This post is about what to say at the doors without killing your profit on lead generation costs.

The process is simple and consists of 5 opening questions and 2 tie down questions if you find someone looking to move in the next 12 months. If they are moving in 4 months or less you push to get in their door immediately for a listing presentation.

The first question is called a "Hammer Question" you are literally asking them a straight up question at hello to knock them back and throw off their balance at the door. I don't tell them my name, only my brokerage. This is a modified version of the Mike Ferry Just Listed/Just Sold script which some of you have seen before.

1. "Hi, Exit Family Realty Here! When were you folks planning on moving?" (Big Smile)
- They typically reply that they are not moving... this is a "reflex no" and should be expected. Sometimes they will give a odd answer like "Is this about our house being for sale recently?" (expired listing) or other answers.

2. "How long have you lived here?" (Big Smile)
- They will typically say something like "we have been here for X years" or tell you to go pound sand.. either one is fine.. if they shut you down a second time just say "fine, have a great day" and move on.

3. "Where did you move from?" (Big Smile)
- This is to build a bit of rapport

4 "If you were to move, where would you move to?" (Big Smile)

5. "And when would that be?" (Big Smile) <- MoneyQuestion

If they are moving in less than 3 months say:

What I am doing out here is looking for people that are moving, and you just told me you are moving in 3 months... would Tuesday work for a marketing presentation... or would Thursday be better for you and your spouse? (Go for the appointment)

If they are moving in the next 12 months:

1. (When you get a date) What I am doing here is looking for people that are moving. You just told me that you are moving in [April, May, December, whatever], is that right? (they should reply Yes, because they just told you, this is the first "tie down" question)

2. I am going to make you the best innformed seller in the area, will that make it easy for you to move? (they should say Yes)

Hand them your business card and say "What is your best phone # to followup before (Month)? And your first / last name? It was great meeting you, have a great day." (leave at this point, don't blow it by talking and babbling. If you don't get their info no big deal, just look it up later on the tax records and send them the personalized card for followup (which we will cover later).

Congrads, you have just generated a lead for the exact cost of 1 business card! Expect about one lead for every 15-30 contacts either buyer or seller.

#407557 - 05/28/12 08:45 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
Good Luck Brother Erik look forward to keeping up with your progress.
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#407562 - 05/28/12 10:06 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: johnnyloans]
Erik Webster Offline

Thanks smile

#407563 - 05/28/12 10:07 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

Most Real Estate Agents fail when it comes to follow up. The two areas that kill agents are prospecting and follow up. In fact many agents have a fear of follow up since their leads may say "NO" even after they did the work of generating the lead.

Don't be like Gollum in the Lord of the Rings and think that a fat stack of leads are "precious". Avoid being afraid to followup because your stack of leads may not actually be leads. Many agents will spend money buying a power Contact Relations Management (CRM) system like Top Producer or have some kind of proprietary software that their brokerage gives them. This is all well and good, but its all crap unless you follow up. There are currently 6 ways to follow up; doors, phone, cellphone text message, social media, postal mail, and email. Their effectiveness is listed in that order with doors being the Midnight Black Bentley Continental GT that is barely street legal and pre-formatted email being that broken down car you saw on Craigslist that has a bad set of tires.

Lead followup has different schedules and routines depending on WHAT kind of lead it is. Many folks have heard the Mike Ferry 3/3/3 rule... which is gold if you are only focusing on the ultra-competitive business like Expireds, FSBO's, and "Come List Me Now" types of Just Listed/Sold. The MFO 3/3/3 rule is this:

a. After the phone rings 3 times, hang up
b. Once you have called them 3 times with no response, throw
them away
c. When you have talked to them 3 times and don’t get an
appointment, throw them away

This system is amazing if you are trolling for warm/hot Expireds and FSBO... it gets broken quickly when you go outside that and hit cold with the long game of 12 months in focus. The way you focus up on door to door is different since you will at any time have between 10-15 leads of people who are going to list in the zone you are hitting in the next 12 months. If you get a FSBO in the area then apply the 3/3/3 method to it to see if there is motivation there. But if they aren't moving until February... well... they most likely aren't moving until February. The trainer Bob Fitzgerald teaches you should take whatever time frame they give you and cut it in half... that's when they are moving and you should be putting the heat on for an appointment. Recently while listening to some of his training he was interviewing a agent who made $400k last year, and the agent admitted that he usually got them about 6-10 contacts after their home had expired... when the other agents gave up. Its sad, but most Realtor's suck... and that's your winning hand in most situations... so think about all the times you have lost a deal and fix it with proper followup.

The approach that Bill Nasby teaches his very very prosperous disciples is to send a note the same day you create a lead, follow up at a minimum monthly with market updates, and re-clarify when they want to have their home sold. My next post will detail how the system works.

Edited by Erik Webster (05/28/12 10:09 PM)

#407566 - 05/28/12 11:26 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Not much different than the Ferry stuff, except at the door instead of over the phone. Of course Ferry teaches dump all but the 30-60 day leads. If you're doing 50+ deals a year this probably makes sense. It also makes sense if you have 100+ "leads" in your database. I've found in other businesses anything over 30-50 leads is tough to keep up on.

Just curious, as a fellow over-the-phone salesman for years prior to getting into real estate, why are you choosing to door knock instead of stick with the phone?

#407569 - 05/28/12 11:56 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Mike Burchyett]
Erik Webster Offline

I just got off the phone about 10 minutes ago with Ken Purdy from Halifax, Canada. He is on track to crack $300-350k this year, he does 15 contacts a day and has about 35 listing leads in his pipeline of folks selling in the next year. http://www.homesinmetro.com/listings/?agent=9643

Its just a fact that there is zero competition at the doors. Also I got really really frustrated at how hard it was to get phone numbers and contact info for expireds even using Red/X. All the agents are hitting those leads, no one is talking to a person and following up once a month until they list or blow out.

If you mix cold doors with expired and fsbo at the door its pretty powerful. Many folks in the Ferry system are getting away from the phones. Century 21 Masters in Orange County, CA (the #1 C21 in the USA and big Ferry shop) has a 5-5-10 system where they Preview 5 properties, knock on 5 expired doors, and knock on 10 cold doors around the previews and expireds to do 110 doors a day.

http://neilschwartz.net/the-5-5-10-plan/

Edited by Erik Webster (05/28/12 11:58 PM)

#407572 - 05/29/12 01:03 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

When you are doing cold prospecting at the doors you will find that about 1 out of 30-50 people you talk with will be moving in the next year. This means if you talking to 20-25 people a night, 4 nights a week for 2-3 hour you should realistically generate 3-5 leads per week. This is how you follow up with those leads.

When you create leads you send a hand written thank you note that very evening.

It should simply say, "Good Morning James and Cathy, It was a pleasure talking with you at the door looking forward to helping you with your move."- Sincerely Erik (write and sign it put it in an envelope, and hand write the address on it.

7-10 days later – Drop off the ‘information package’

"Do you remember me?" (Yes)

"Did you get my note?" (Yes)

"Remember I told you I was going to make you the best-informed seller in the area?" (Yes)

Show them the package. Start with the recently sold listing’s, this show’s you what is really happening in the area! Next show them the current listings: homes that are presently listed in the area, these are the often over priced, due to the agents strong desire to get a listing (explain).

Then go to the Expired, go over "prices and agent wages" this is your very first pricing close in the follow up process (now you can show them why a listing expires).

Then comes the mother of all closes. "Mr. Prospect, I want you to keep this package handy, because from time to time I will be dropping off more information and when it comes time for US to market your home WE will need this package." (Assumptive close)

From here on out: Qualify them (every chance you get) when dropping info every month in person.

This is what is called the "Magic Mile" follow up system by Bill Nasby. If you follow up monthly, when the time comes you will find that you have that listing on lock down and the folks will typically blow out real estate agents in their own family because you have become a trusted resource over the followup time frame.

#407573 - 05/29/12 01:20 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Makes sense. I'm finding I'm late to new expireds at 8am. Having much better luck on the phone with 2 weeks and older expireds. Everyone has forgotten about them and moved on!

I'm going to start knocking at least 2 expireds per day that don't have a phone number in RedX. Only about 10 agents even calling expireds daily, I agree with you there is almost no competition at the door. I'm guessing there are a bunch who do mailing, but probably give up after 1 or 2 touches.

Going to stick with the phone for just listed/just sold/cold calls though. Much easier to hit 30-50 contacts a day using Mojo, and I can do it rain or shine and consistently.

Looking forward to your results!!

#407577 - 05/29/12 02:51 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Mike Burchyett]
Erik Webster Offline

You can easily do 30 contacts in 2.5 hours if you go knocking after 5:30pm.

#407594 - 05/29/12 01:28 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

Hi Erik,

Does Ken Purdy follow the Mike Ferry 5-5-10- system? I want to hit a geographical area that is very popular with buyers and also has lots of turnover. The houses also tend to be newer which buyers like. I have an area in mind and wanted to hit it street by street following a map and then when i am done with the area just start over. I like the idea of going to the door of expireds the only problem is where i live i can use a lot of gas because they tend to be so far apart from each other in different towns. I find expireds don't even answer the door. Anyway, just curious as to what method Ken is using. I will be going out 2 days this week at least and will post my numbers after i go out. Glad to have a virtual door knocking buddy.

Edited by ramanda (05/29/12 01:52 PM)

#407605 - 05/29/12 04:36 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

No, he makes between 15-25 cold contacts a day at the door 4-5 times a week. He never works more than 40 hours a week. Just got his first assistant.

#407606 - 05/29/12 04:44 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

So he is just going to cold doors and does not do expireds?

#407609 - 05/29/12 05:08 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Erik Webster Offline

yep

#407610 - 05/29/12 05:08 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

May 29th, 2012 - Day One

Today was my first day in the farm area. I made 17 contacts this morning in about 2 hours in the morning. Tomorrow on Thursday I am going to do my prospecting from 5:30-7:30 to get a better # of contacts.

I had to bend my schedule to do morning prospecting so I can do some work tonight with calling out for health insurance from my dialer at home.

When I go out tomorrow evening I should do about 30ish in 2 hours since more folks will be home. Also since summer is coming I will do better in the evenings since I won't have to deal as much with the kids at home for vacation messing with me at the door during the day.

Edited by Erik Webster (05/29/12 05:10 PM)

#407669 - 05/30/12 05:28 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

May 30, 2012. Day one for me. Got a late start and only did 1.5 hours and only made 3 contacts with one possible lead. Honestly it felt great to be outside walking around and talking to a few people at least. I am just not a phone person. I got over my initial fears and felt much more comfortable the more i walked. I felt like i accomplished something vs sitting in front of my computer fretting about who to call and not having much success. For those that are not home i leave a doorhanger.

#407679 - 05/30/12 08:33 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Erik Webster Offline

Awesome smile

The best time is after 5pm to about 7:30pm. After 5 you should get 12-15 contacts a hour since folks are at home.

#407689 - 05/30/12 10:07 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Mike Burchyett Offline

[quote=ramanda]May 30, 2012. Day one for me. Got a late start and only did 1.5 hours and only made 3 contacts with one possible lead. Honestly it felt great to be outside walking around and talking to a few people at least. I am just not a phone person. I got over my initial fears and felt much more comfortable the more i walked. I felt like i accomplished something vs sitting in front of my computer fretting about who to call and not having much success. For those that are not home i leave a doorhanger. [/quote]

Great job!! They key is consistency. Don't make this a once in a while thing. Door knock 2-3 hours every day, and you'll be amazed at the results in 90 days. Keep it up!

#407697 - 05/30/12 10:54 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

May 30th 2012 - Day Two

15 Doors qualified in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Had a good conversation with one lady who may be moving back to be with her kids in Alabama. I am going to send her a handwritten note tonight then touch base in a week with the package.

Next Monday I am going to add in Expired listings. Its a pretty simple search in the MLS to see if they have relisted.

I am thinking of how I am going to approach the Expired listings. I am going to hit them the day they get off the MLS for sure. I am thinking of taking my pre-listing package and having a shorter version of it, like 3-4 pages, double sided in color. I will use the standard Mike Ferry "When do you plan on hiring the right agent for the job of selling your home?" Expired pitch. I looked at the Floyd Wickman, Matthew Ferry, and Bob Fitzgerald versions of the Expired pitch and I think for door to door purposes the Mike Ferry version fits best.

Then I will do the handwritten note and then do a follow up 3-4 days later with market updates saying "Did you know that X number of homes sold last month here in (City)?" Most likely if I hit them once a week they should start to fold quickly into my pipeline.

#407699 - 05/30/12 10:59 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

Thanks Erik! I am working around my mom schedule and am going in the morning for now. Once the kids are out of school i will be going at the 5:30 time. I just feel so much better than as you say calling the same list of expireds and fsbo's that lots of other realtors are calling too. Competition is one thing but calling these people along with 100 other people just stinks.

#407700 - 05/30/12 11:00 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Mike Burchyett]
ramanda Offline

Thanks Mike! Do you doorknock too? Yes i plan to keep it up. It is the first form of prospecting that actually makes me feel like i am accomplishing something vs always worrying about the DNC list.

#407701 - 05/30/12 11:16 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Mike Burchyett Offline

I don't yet, but will start tomorrow. I'm following the Mike Ferry 90-day productivity plan, which calls for phone calls for 3 hours in the morning, then visiting some combination of 4 expired or FSBO doors in the afternoon, and I'm starting that tomorrow.

I can tell you almost no-one is door knocking, they're resorting to mail to reach expired listings. You won't have much competition if you can visit each expired listing the day it expires, especially if it doesn't have a phone number. I might also look back 6-12 months to see if there are any other expired listings around where you will be door knocking....the script is pretty similar, and there is no competition on those either.

#407731 - 05/31/12 12:22 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

Mike is correct. About 20-30% of folks will usually relist with the same Realtor. From what I have seen over the last decade is that many folks will bomb the heck out of those with phone #s. The balance is usually mailed out... a few brave ones may even drop off something at the door step before they run off.

The ability to go to the door and asking the questions "When are you interviewing the right agent for the job of selling your home?" straight up takes courage when looking a person in the eye. It also takes courage to come back 2-3 days later with some market information with solds in their area if they told you "NO" the first time. It takes iron lumps of fortitude to stop by weekly until you either "book em or burn em" as they say.

In our country of 300+ million people and 1.2 million Realtors as of last year.. like... if at most... maybe... less than 300-500 actually have the nerve to do that. The Ferry Org has like 10,000 customers and like 1,500 folks in the Facebook group.. and even among the hardcore its considered to be rare.

I asked the RED/X rep about going door to door about 6 weeks ago before I cancelled my subscription (if you are going to the door you dont need #s, just pull their info off MLS/Tax). He said he didn't know any of his Realtor customers who did that. Most called, some mailed, they may occasionally drop in if its down the street or something... but he wanted to know the numbers and percentages if I did it.

So you will be a rare bird indeed smile

Edited by Erik Webster (05/31/12 12:33 PM)

#407749 - 05/31/12 03:55 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

Loc: Townsville, Australia
Eric

You have seen Michael of Century 21 Masters,I think? Didn't he in one video mentions 1/3 of their business comes from door knocking? For me I have found about 30% or are home during the day in new neighborhood much less are home. I don't know about you but for me it's the first door. By far most people are very nice, for different reasons it's that one nutty or unkind person that we think about. Here is one true fact that you will find when you knock on the same doors several times over a short span of say two to three months, people will get to know you. Your no longer a stranger! Most people will respect you, because they KNOW it's not easy to go knock on a stranger's door. If you learn to do enough of it probaby you will here people tell their respect for you having the guts to do it. As you know since you are a professional, people's lives and needs change all the time, right? When you door knock to also knock at Listed Properties? Just a thought, if you would, why not ask those folks where they are moving to. If it's out of the area, ask them if they would be offended if you referred them to a top agent? Then go call that local board and ask for the top ten agents...ect. It's surprising how many agents DON'T capitalize on the full potental of their clients. I don't know YOUR numbers, but let's say you are going to cover 500 home (example) in one month, ok? How many are listed in those 500? How many will not sell? Could you by your professional influence relist these homes? Did I mean solicit them NO! But what's wrong with dropping a name of someone you've helped sell their home? If people don't know you, most folks don't like being trailblazers, that why you drop a name of a happy client. Hope it helps.

#407750 - 05/31/12 04:11 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Thunderstruck Offline

Good Lord!!! Me grammar sucks! I heard on a interview Dirk Zeller mentions a exercise he gave two different agents to test. It went like this, pick 15 expired listings that are on the do not call list or one's with no phone number, map them out, try to keep them close. They did the prospecting at the doors Saturday morning between 9am to 12pm, I forgot the exact number of how many folks where at home, but the two agents averaged 1.5 listings. When he coached a fews years ago he had me doing that same thing, it does work. What if those listings sold for $300.000 with a 6% commission = a great Saturday morning.

#407751 - 05/31/12 04:14 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Erik Webster Offline

my area that i am starting in has 5251 homes. 167 sold in the last 12 months. Thats a 3.1% turnover.

#407759 - 05/31/12 07:49 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Natoli Offline

Loc: Other
I have read your whole thread and I have to say I am really eager to see your results. I really like the fact that you are in to "dominate a whole neighborhood", I think this is the right way to go. but there are several things that bother me: first it looks like a hamster wheel system to me, once you stop doing door to door everything stops. Second, I think that your approach to say "when are you going to hire the right agent..." would not work for me, looks like a sales speech. I have actually sold a house in california in the late 90s, with an agent that just came knocking at our door. we had no plan to sell at all, but he asked the right questions and I did not feel pressured. third: when do you actually work on the listings in your schedule? sounds like you are booked between the health insurance calls and the door to door. And last, how long do you think you can keep going like this? is this just an experiment or is it the way you plan to work your business?
Please dont take this the bad way, I think that you are showing you love what you do, I am just not seeing a good business model there, but that's only my opinion. Looking forward to see how this works out for you and wishing you all the best.

#407775 - 06/01/12 01:21 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Natoli]
Erik Webster Offline

I can also use the Bob Fitzgerald method. That method you mentioned is only for Expired MLS listings.

#407776 - 06/01/12 01:22 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

May 31, 2012 - Day 3

16 doors qualified tonight.

Had a great one-on-one training call with Erica Nasby today. We role played scripting and tone. I need to slow down a bit, since I am 6 foot 6 inches and built like a tank it could be intimidating to folks at the door.

Tomorrow I am adding a lanyard with my Real Estate license on it around my neck, lets see if it makes me look official. I also have a bright orange traffic vest I bought a few weeks ago... still debating that one. The door to door cable tv guys and the home improvement guys use it to devastating effect to increase the number of people who come to the door (thanks to Tony Hoty for that one). I may do it just to see what happens. Tomorrow I am going to do early morning prospecting starting at 9:30 AM.
Will start writing down affirmations tomorrow morning for some self induced NLP.

It always interesting to see how other sales fields try to prospect in the same pool of leads. Here is how the Cable TV, roofing, and home improvement folks dress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mNTvU-Ke...mp;feature=plcp

This guy is Tony Hoty.. he has nothing to do with Real Estate he teaches folks how to door knock for home improvements like solar panels and stuff. He returned my phone call a few months ago and we had a great conversation. Its always cool to learn something new from a different flavor of salesperson.

#407795 - 06/01/12 01:34 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

June 1st, 2012 - Day 4

Its raining very hard this morning, I am going to skip the doors today and get back to them on Sunday afternoon. I will need to make up for what I missed.

Starting on Monday morning with a role play partner to do scripts. He is a MFO one-on-one like I used to be. Should be awesome smile

Edited by Erik Webster (06/01/12 01:35 PM)

#407799 - 06/01/12 03:34 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Another reason I prefer phones :-)

#407821 - 06/02/12 12:17 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

June1. Went to 35 doors and spoke to 10 people. No leads. I need to go to more doors. My goal is to talk to 20 people each time i go out.

#407938 - 06/04/12 03:41 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: ramanda
June1. Went to 35 doors and spoke to 10 people. No leads. I need to go to more doors. My goal is to talk to 20 people each time i go out.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I've heard a lot of success stories with this type of marketing. smile

#407959 - 06/04/12 12:10 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Scintillion]
ramanda Offline

Thank you!

#407966 - 06/04/12 01:46 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Knocking doors is a great way to grow your business, however my guess is it's going to take 9-12 months to REALLY see the results if you're only knocking a particular neighborhood "cold". You may want to think about getting a list of 5-10 expired listings (brand new and 30-180 days old) and/or FSBOs, knocking on those doors, then knock 5-10 "cold" doors around those. Expired listings and FSBOs are going to get you "now" business and the cold doors are going to get you "later" business.

Thanks to Erik Webster for this link:

http://neilschwartz.net/march-28-2011-sales-meeting-door-knocking/

#408023 - 06/05/12 08:37 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
RonnieWinz Offline

Loc: Annapolis,MD
For door knocking, would using a segway be un professional?

#408036 - 06/05/12 01:25 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

One of the benefits of door knocking is the exercise IMO smile

#408040 - 06/05/12 01:40 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Curious to know how your pitch is developing over the course of door knocking. Have you refined it down to a short message that works or do you have an opening line and then let the conversation flow?

#408096 - 06/06/12 02:33 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Sad to see no updates in the last few days....how have things been going Erik & Amanda?

#408127 - 06/06/12 04:08 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Mike Burchyett]
ramanda Offline

Hi Mike,

It's been pouring buckets here the last few days. I went to a fsbo this morning - waste of time - then i went to 15 doors and talked to 5 people and then it started to rain again. I live in New England and this time of year it can be rainy. I am doing a variation of the Neil Schwartz 5-5--10 plan since i have small kids and can't prospect all day long although i would love to. If the expireds aren't home i leave them a doorhanger with a stick note asking them if the house is still available and to call me. With the expireds i knock at least 10 doors around them so even if they aren't home at least i made a contact and also prospected around them.

#408264 - 06/08/12 06:12 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

Today i knocked on 35 doors and spoke to 20 people. It was tiring. I need to work up to more doors. Only one possible lead.

#408325 - 06/09/12 11:15 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

This is a great video

Lost 2 days last week due to flu, also took today off. Will be going out all day tomorrow. Gonna try for 100 contacts.

Edited by Erik Webster (06/09/12 11:16 PM)

#408353 - 06/10/12 03:22 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ramanda Offline

I did 30 houses yesterday and got 2 good leads. This was after about 46 contacts. So that ratio seems to be a good one. Thanks for posting the video Erik and i hope you are feeling better

Edited by ramanda (06/10/12 03:44 PM)

#408505 - 06/13/12 01:55 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

June 12th, 2012 - Day 14

Today I qualified 15 prospects and generated 2 good leads.

Tonight was an amazing night overall. I spent about a hour with Bill Nasby on my Bluetooth Headset for my weekly one-on-one training at 6pm. Bill is my Real Estate Coach and is also the Vice-President of Personal Development at Exit Realty Internation (for the entire franchise system). He was with me on my cellphone as I door knocked and was there to help coach me on tonality and what I was saying to make sure my scripting and timing was perfect.

I spoke to a gentleman tonight who is moving the next few months and seems like a really hot prospect when I win the business from the Realtor next door to him. Also found another lady who is wanting to move in the next year.

Its really inspiring to talk to him and hear the monster production numbers that many of his other one-on-one folks are doing.

http://doorknockingdiary.blogspot.com/

#408506 - 06/13/12 02:21 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

Eric

Great!

So if I'm hearing you, one thing that helps is how you say it?

As they have said "The right words, the right tone, is like honey to the ears" What happens if we talk too fast? Or to slow? Some say one sounds slick or dumb, yeah? Might it be true if we speak fast, folks can't understand our words? Or to slow, folks get bored? Now imagine what a coach and role-partners can do for each of us???

Just a note we really have to take a "No" many times as a Reflex No, and just keep moving on with the next question. Does that make sense? Saying "NO" works most of the time, yeah? It gets rid of most salespeople. Isn't it an automatic brush off? How many "NOsss" do we have to go through to get a "YES?" 4,5,6 7,8?
Eric keep going, soon the wind will be at your back.

#408527 - 06/13/12 04:17 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
It takes 12 "nos" to get to a "yes." I learned to ask, get my no, and say to myself: "That's one no closer to yes" and keep going... "two nos closer to yes"... "three nos closer..."

Edited by Artiste (06/13/12 04:19 PM)

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#408622 - 06/14/12 10:52 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Artiste]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

you guys are awesome keep up the good work
Greater Los Angeles Area
Have Car Will Travel

#408626 - 06/15/12 12:16 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

Qualified 20 Doors, found 2 leads, one of whom was sold their home by another Exit office, they have a Condo they may look to sell soon.

Also got stopped by my first police officer. Showed her the license around my neck, gave her my business card, and then asked her when SHE was moving... she couldn't get rid of me fast enough to drive on smile

There had been a robbery on the block in the last few weeks, someone must have called. I told my trainer Bill Nasby about it and he told me that until I get the SWAT team in full battle gear brought in like he did when he knocked the door of a drug house in Mission Viejo in California, while training a captive class who were sitting in a nearby bus with the microphones turned on so they could listen to him prospect, I wasn't doing it right.

Edited by Erik Webster (06/15/12 12:25 AM)

#408656 - 06/15/12 02:54 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

Eric

Here is a couple of possible reasons you got stopped.

1) They saw a hunk and wanted a date.

2) A fellow realtor called the police on you. Their afraid your gonna take their business from them.

Ok, now to be serious, what about working with the police officers in your cities? Those folks are always coming and going...moving that is. Your probaby the only Realtor out and about working there. Most agents are secret agents and not the fearless kind. I don't have to tell you it takes courage to go knock on strangers doors. It does work...I have averaged over 100 hours of door knocking per month and at times 150 hours per month.

#408772 - 06/18/12 01:43 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

June 17th, 2012 - Day 19

Today was a amazing Sunday that I got to spend with my 6 year old son. He has come down to spend a month with me from his home in California.

Tonight I am setting up my CRM. I had bought a older copy of Top Producer (version 6i) when they were still a desktop program. Since I can't find the key, and the folks at Top Producer won't give me one since the don't support it anymore I need to find a new CRM software. I looked at the newer version of Top Producer that is internet/cloud based.. but it seems like overkill. I can already do alot of what it does with less expensive services. I can put together nice CMA's and Market Analysis from the free service I get from NAR called Realtors Property Resource located at http://www.narrpr.com/.

I took a 90 day free trial from a company that I see advertising on the agents forum at Agents Online called Realty Juggler. It seems really easy to use and can do drip campaigns that will allow me to setup task orders. The training on Youtube that they provide seemed Realtard proof (as Mike Ferry would say).

I sat down tonight and data entered my leads so far into the system. I am planning on doing a 8 x 8 and then a 33 touch campaign on the folks that I qualify at the door. The 8 x 8 phase is where I mail them something or show up there to talk to them 8 times over a 8 week period to solidify the prospect. Then the 33 touch campaign is where I mail them something and show up once a month to drop off some marketing materials. I am going to spend all day this Wednesday setting up the postal mailers and the time triggers for each step. If I add 6-10 solid prospects and also visit 8-10 expireds per week in person something has to pop in the near future.

I also need to add a alternate track of letters and drop offs for short sale opportunities since they will have a different flavor than a equity sale. I am digging through all the letter templates I have been hoarding for years and the stuff I got from the KW training I went on a downloaded with before I switched to Exit Realty.

Edited by Erik Webster (06/18/12 02:05 AM)

#408915 - 06/20/12 09:17 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

Hope you can see this, Southern California Girl who also door knocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpoBQllpMqI&feature=relmfu

#408921 - 06/20/12 11:25 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

Great video smile

im gonna embed it into the thread smile

#408940 - 06/21/12 11:07 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada

This is proof positive that beautiful women have a much
easier time in real estate than guys/ugly people will ever have.
Unlike Lucky Monica only has to make 30 contacts a day to earn
the same $$ as Lucky even though Lucky spends a fortune
on his shoes in an attempt to compensate for his handicap.

The good news is Monica is single and could easily support
a lazy husband like me.

#408955 - 06/21/12 01:22 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
Women do have an advantage.

I get inside interiors when only the teenage daughter is home after school, or when just the women and children are home. The ethnic groups in my town would never let a man go where I go and do what I do smile

Edited by Artiste (06/21/12 01:22 PM)
Edit Reason: edited to add "neener"

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#408977 - 06/21/12 05:58 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
vk60546 Offline

Loc: Office is in Naperville, IL
Originally Posted By: Thunderstruck
Hope you can see this, Southern California Girl who also door knocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpoBQllpMqI&feature=relmfu

Door knocks? Sounds like she uses a phone from her office. 11:50-12 they talk about calling expireds, fsbo's, just listed and solds.

#409030 - 06/22/12 01:07 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: vk60546]
vk60546 Offline

Loc: Office is in Naperville, IL
actually, i see she mentioned door knocking towards the end of the interview, but it still sounds like phone prospecting is her bread and butter prospecting activity.

#410965 - 08/07/12 03:10 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
uptuyou Offline

Loc: South Dakota
This is a very interesting thread; to bad it stopped!

#411162 - 08/11/12 07:37 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
I also found it to be a very interesting thread. Eric mentioned in his first post that his father was very ill. Hopefully, his father is doing better now and Eric is just swamped with new leads. I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread. It is full of great "back to basics" ideas for finding leads.

Darlene

#411173 - 08/12/12 06:16 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Hope Eric's father feels better. I've heard many great success stories with regard to door knocking / door hangers!

#411293 - 08/14/12 07:47 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Xtal Offline

Loc: Florida
Does anyone here door knock in a really warm area? I'm in Florida and most days are just plain hot. If so do you dress in normal professional attire (suit, etc.) or do you dress down for the heat?

#411302 - 08/14/12 08:46 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Xtal]
PhxMike Offline

Loc: Arizona
[quote=Xtal]Does anyone here door knock in a really warm area? I'm in Florida and most days are just plain hot. If so do you dress in normal professional attire (suit, etc.) or do you dress down for the heat? [/quote]

I'm in Phoenix, but I haven't started door knocking yet. (Soon though!) I have no idea what I'll do since it is well over 100 degrees this time of year.

#411320 - 08/15/12 12:48 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: PhxMike]
Xtal Offline

I don't think people will be to receptive to a sweaty mess knocking on their door :) -- perhaps door knocking activity is best to leave for fall and winter months in our warmer climates? :)

#411333 - 08/15/12 04:54 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Xtal]
ducourtier Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Quebec
linen suit!

#411345 - 08/15/12 07:27 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ducourtier]
Xtal Offline

Good recommendation. Still probably a bit on the warm and sweaty side but worth a try for sure!

#411403 - 08/16/12 08:35 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

I have gotten good response when going door to door in this heat. (107) More than one person has invited me in for a glass of ice water. It seems that a nice dress shirt or polo shirt and nice dress pants is good to go in this heat.

#411464 - 08/17/12 08:26 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

I actually find suits or ties a turn off when your at someones home, so I don't think office attire is a barrier remover. So casual dress, but nice, and for gods sake a smile.

#416963 - 12/16/12 04:23 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
poindexter Offline

Loc: Texas
How's this going for you, Erik? Are you still at it?

Poindexter

#417626 - 12/29/12 03:34 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
jackson njogu Offline

Loc: Kenya
I agree in some systems but for sure some are purely garbage just to rip you off.I havre tried using some in Mombasa ,Kenya properties and i have seen good fruits though working hard is paramount.

#418736 - 01/21/13 02:30 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

I stopped door knocking in October of last year.

Heres what I ran into in the South Florida marketplace. I generated a TON of leads... I could get one or two soft leads knocking from 5:30 to 7:30 before daylight savings made me lose a hour of daylight.

I had about 20-30 decent leads in play. But the issue I kept running into is that they were upside down and either were going to ditch the property into forclosure or wanted to rent it in the hopes value would go up...which is different from listing it. The equity issues essentially messed up the process for me.

I still make over a grand a week selling health insurance by phone. It was disappointing... maybe I should have changed my marketing approach. Still have my RE license. If the market were balanced and not renting out homes it would make sense. Did several listing presentations, the owners puked when I gave them current prices vs. what they owed on it mortgage-wise.

erik.j.webster@gmail.com

#418782 - 01/21/13 11:47 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
NCPAT Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
That's a shame it did not work for you Erik. I recently started door knocking. It seems like it could be very productive. I have been out about 6 times - two of those times were door knocking for an Open House. Here are my rough numbers -

- Open House - 100 doors - about 30% contacts every time - so about 30 contacts - 2 solid listing leads - so far 1 listing presentation - divorce so no decision yet - the other is about 2 months out right now. About 3 hours

- Knocked my neighborhood - 47 doors, 14 contacts, 3 leads. One I feel like I am in the lead when he decides to sell 3-12 months. Another not sure - might sell and buy, might rent and buy, another strong buyer lead - needs to sell a house in NY. About 3 hours

- Knocked my neighborhood - 56 doors, 16 contacts, 3 leads. 1 buyer lead, 1 seller (and buyer) lead - strong - we have had great dialogue - wife needs surgery then will probably list, 1 was a possible referral - that one died.

- Knocked for another Open House for a FSBO listing I have. The guy next door is a fsbo that I had talking to so knocking on his door helped the relationship, the very next door - old guy said he was moving - he knew who I was and pretty much said they were watching how I did on the listing 2 doors over. I had a killer Open House and generated a buyer and we are negotiating right now and $3,500 apart. 40 doors that day, 12 contacts, 1 lead. I was negotiating a contract while knocking doors that day and that neighborhood has 1 acre lots so a lot more exercise.

The last time I door knocked was Jan 10th. Since then it seems it has rained most days or I had something else.

I also go knock on 12-15 expired doors most saturdays - that's another thread.

Anybody else knocking? I want to own my neighborhood and a few more. I plan to hit about 3 neighborhoods quarterly and see how that goes.

#418792 - 01/22/13 03:16 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: NCPAT]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Congrats Pat you are proof positive that door knocking is still working in some areas. Like Erik I found a lot of the upside down leads did not care much whether it went to foreclosure instead of doing a short sale.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Have Car Will Travel

#418814 - 01/22/13 12:54 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
NCPAT Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
My neighborhood currently has one active listing - a short sale that will probably go to foreclosure. I figure somebody is going to list soon and it might as well be with me. Time will tell if this door knocking generates serious listings. Right now I have a lot of maybe's floating around.

#419093 - 01/26/13 03:12 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
ATXluxury Offline

Loc: TX
[quote=Erik Webster]I stopped door knocking in October of last year.

Heres what I ran into in the South Florida marketplace. I generated a TON of leads... I could get one or two soft leads knocking from 5:30 to 7:30 before daylight savings made me lose a hour of daylight.

I had about 20-30 decent leads in play. But the issue I kept running into is that they were upside down and either were going to ditch the property into forclosure or wanted to rent it in the hopes value would go up...which is different from listing it. The equity issues essentially messed up the process for me.

I still make over a grand a week selling health insurance by phone. It was disappointing... maybe I should have changed my marketing approach. Still have my RE license. If the market were balanced and not renting out homes it would make sense. Did several listing presentations, the owners puked when I gave them current prices vs. what they owed on it mortgage-wise.

erik.j.webster@gmail.com[/quote]

Why woudn't you cold call JL/JS instead of insurance? Surely you could make more money this way, no?

#422291 - 04/05/13 12:16 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
realtorinoc Offline

Loc: CA
What a great thread to read. Sad to see it didn't work for Erik though. I am in SoCal and have been door knocking, but only for two weeks. I have a team mate and we hit 100 doors 5 days a week. We are both new in the business, but understand door knocking should be a good way to get leads. So far we got two seller leads, although one has no equity, so have to wait and we'll see what happens to the other one. We also got a buyer lead. Not a whole lot, but we just started.

Also the doors we have been going to are around J/L homes and we are switching that starting next week and using Kevin Ward's turbo doors system, which is basically hit Expireds, FSBO's NOD's, Old Expires and Preview homes and door knock around those homes.

Anybody else is door knocking? As I mentioned, we are new, and have done a couple of open houses for other agents and got a few leads there, too and this weekend going to a swap meet to test that out as well.

Would love to see if anyone else is door knocking and compare notes of what's working and what not.

#425246 - 06/23/13 02:34 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
AbrahamWalker Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Any update on Eric's progress?

Is anyone else door knocking at this time? I'm going to start a door knocking mastermind/accountability group and interested in hearing what worked for other agents.
I also host a hangout/group prospecting session every business day. It's free and open to participating real estate agents. Feel free to join in. Add me on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/108704430404581325066

#425251 - 06/23/13 04:20 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: AbrahamWalker]
Thunderstruck Offline

Originally Posted By: AbrahamWalker
Any update on Eric's progress?

Is anyone else door knocking at this time? I'm going to start a door knocking mastermind/accountability group and interested in hearing what worked for other agents.

Door knocking works, just like the phone it's a numbers game! One has to be careful when conversing with people one doesn't stay tooooo long at their door. Have contracts in your car, you will get listings. The problem like the phone MOST people will not stay with it. But isn't that the way? Do what others won't do and you be special.

Edited by Thunderstruck (06/23/13 04:23 PM)

#425254 - 06/23/13 06:51 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Stefanie Offline

Loc: South Florida
[quote=Thunderstruck][quote=AbrahamWalker]Any update on Eric's progress?

[/quote]

Door knocking works, just like the phone it's a numbers game! One has to be careful when conversing with people one doesn't stay tooooo long at their door. [b]Have contracts in your car, you will get listings[/b]. The problem like the phone MOST people will not stay with it. But isn't that the way? Do what others won't do and you be special. [/quote]

Thunderstruck, what do you do about pricing when you get listings on the spot? Do you just wing it? My broke recommends a 2 Step approach, where you come by and look at the house, then go home and prepare a CMA and then come back again for the actual listing presentation.

What do you think?

#425255 - 06/23/13 07:41 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Stefanie]
AbrahamWalker Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted By: Thunderstruck

Door knocking works, just like the phone it's a numbers game! One has to be careful when conversing with people one doesn't stay tooooo long at their door. Have contracts in your car, you will get listings. The problem like the phone MOST people will not stay with it. But isn't that the way? Do what others won't do and you be special.

Thanks for the encouragement. This is my thoughts exactly. No one likes to do it. So there's opportunity to dominate and prosper.

I will be cancelling my MOJO account @ the end of this week. Moving to strictly door knocking for the entire month of July. Looking to start an accountability group to keep me focused on my goals and brainstorm better techniques to increase efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Stefanie

Thunderstruck, what do you do about pricing when you get listings on the spot? Do you just wing it? My broke recommends a 2 Step approach, where you come by and look at the house, then go home and prepare a CMA and then come back again for the actual listing presentation.

What do you think?

I think you can get the listing agreement signed without knowing the price. Have them sign the documents knowing that you will come back to price the property correctly.
I also host a hangout/group prospecting session every business day. It's free and open to participating real estate agents. Feel free to join in. Add me on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/108704430404581325066

#425259 - 06/23/13 09:25 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: AbrahamWalker]
Thunderstruck Offline

Abraham
Your right you could get the contract filled out and signed and go back with a C.M.A. I have had people because of their situation wanted their property sold ASAP and I was there at the RIGHT time, therefore I filled the price in too. Why did I do that? Because, I had taken just a few minutes to look at the MLS before going door knocking. Additional, if the seller wanted more assurance, I called any preferred title company in their presents. What does sales training teach? When we have the momentum going...keep it going 'till all the i's and t's are crossed. Remember...ONLY WORK WITH MOTIVATED SELLER's WHO ARE HONEST WITH YOU. We all know pricing is not absolute, it can and does change day to day. But, for your sellers who have to sell what is better for them...over price it or underprice it? Which one will the buyer's respond to? What do you think?

#425263 - 06/23/13 11:05 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Stefanie Offline

Loc: South Florida
Thanks, Abraham and thunderstruck. Both good ways to handle that issue.

I wish I could door knock more, but its just too hot at the moment down here...

#425470 - 06/29/13 02:01 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Jerome Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Door knocking has been my bread and butter since I started selling real estate in 2001. I is a great way to generate leads and develop them into clients. It's also a great way to study humanity. I recently came across a genuinely funny real estate novel -- AGENT by J. G. Redfern. It's on Amazon. If you knock doors like I do, and want a little literary comradery and a lot of laughs about real estate, check out this guy's book.

Jerome

#425472 - 06/29/13 02:08 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: NCPAT]
Jerome Offline

That's the way to work it! Door knocking has been my bread and butter since I started selling real estate in 2001. I is a great way to generate leads and develop them into clients. It's also a great way to study humanity. I recently came across a genuinely funny real estate novel -- AGENT by J. G. Redfern. It's on Amazon. It's all about door knocking. If you knock doors like I do, and want a little literary comradery and a lot of laughs about real estate, check out this guy's book.

Jerome

#425476 - 06/29/13 08:33 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Jerome]
ramanda Offline

Hi Jerome,

You have a long successful history of doorknocking. Would you mind giving us more details of what you do? How many doors do you knock on per day? What time do you usually go? How many contacts at the door does it take you to get a listing on average? Do you reknock the same area a couple of times a year? Any helpful hints would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#425493 - 06/29/13 02:12 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Thunderstruck Offline

Door knocking ... look see where homes are moving, go work that neighborhood. Keep tract of the not at homes and go back at a different time. Have this goal at less one appointment for the day.

Three things can happen at the door.

1. Buyer appointment

2. Seller appointment (yummy)

3. Referral

Plus when one of these becomes a client, give them GREAT service and watch them give you referrals.

What is Great Service. What do you say?

Been doing it since the 60s

#425497 - 06/29/13 02:45 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
ramanda Offline

Thanks Thunderstruck. Is that what you get is an appt every time you go out doorknocking? How many doors do you knock on? What is your contact ratio? Thanks! Have you really been doorknocking since the 60's? Wow!

#425499 - 06/29/13 03:38 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Thunderstruck Offline

Ramanda

I can knock on 350 plus doors per day, that is done in about 4 hours. My goal is always at less one appointment per day or I don't quit. If you start knocking start with a goal like 50 doors or so and work up, the hardest door is your own, getting out of it to prospect. My dear Mom (all of 5'1") taught me that way back then, she was great in sales and she took me with her. I remember her encouraging me to have a goal of 7 sales per week. What a Mom!

Edited by Thunderstruck (06/29/13 03:43 PM)

#425501 - 06/29/13 04:13 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
ramanda Offline

350 per day? Wow! You must live in an area where the houses are super close together. My area is more suburban/rural so i am lucky if the houses are on 1/2 acre lots. Do you phone prospect as well? What is your script when you are at the door? If they say they are thinking of moving how do you take it from there? That is great about your mom. I have taken my son along with me a couple of times -he is 12. I think it is good for him to see.

Also, i find the most difficult thing when i am out doorknocking is where to park my car! I feel so conspicous parking it right in front of someone's house so i always try to park in front of an area where there are only trees or a big fence. Sometimes i have so much trouble figuring out where to park my car that i don't end up knocking on that street! Am i the only one who thinks this way?

Edited by ramanda (06/29/13 04:24 PM)

#425506 - 06/29/13 04:49 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: ramanda]
Thunderstruck Offline

Don't you have any neighborhoods where they are closer? Work on your mind, park in front of their house. Word of caution, don't have your music blasting from your car, wait 'till your down the road to crank it up. That's great that your son goes with you, rock on ...Ramanda & Son!

#425508 - 06/29/13 04:56 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
ramanda Offline

That's funny because i never have my stereo on! Ever since i became a mom i gave up the loud radio blaring with the rock music. Used to drive around like that all the time years ago. THe only places which would be close together would be condos and townhouses. Single families are not that close.What is your script that you use? Do you just door knock or do you phone prospect as well?

Edited by ramanda (06/29/13 05:02 PM)

#425511 - 06/29/13 05:56 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Thunderstruck Offline

I have used all sorts of scripts, however, I use Mike Ferry's scripts, by the way, I don't get anything from him for recommending him.

Ramanda, the scripts help us understand the clients needs and more. You can or should take the scripts with you. I have two sets of new flash cards with the scripts on them. If you are serious about getting really good, I would be happy to send one to you as a gift, just PM me. Also, what would really help you with the scripts is Mike Ferry's 0TP download, I still listen to it weekly.

Edited by Thunderstruck (06/29/13 05:58 PM)

#425676 - 07/04/13 12:55 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Erik Webster]
Jerome Offline

Erik,

Good for you, buddy. I'm going to check out your blog. I did something similar. I kept the records and the stories, and then compiled it all and shaped into a novel. It's called AGENT. You can find it on Amazon. Knocking doors, I sure you know, is walking through humanity day after day. It can be funny. It can be touching. It can be horrifying. My novel talks about all this. Check it out; let me know what you think.

J. G. Redfern

#425677 - 07/04/13 03:32 AM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Jerome]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Erik is not hear much anymore I think he went back to Insurance Sales.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Have Car Will Travel

#425954 - 07/15/13 07:04 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
adaleads Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Thunderstruck - My farm areas are newer homes (less than 15yrs old) and most have NO SOLICITING SIGNS built right into the stucco....about 70%.

You cant see it intil you get almost up the long sidewalk.

Do you skip those? Or Knock anyway??????

#425990 - 07/16/13 06:25 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: adaleads]
Thunderstruck Offline

Originally Posted By: adaleads
Thunderstruck - My farm areas are newer homes (less than 15yrs old) and most have NO SOLICITING SIGNS built right into the stucco....about 70%.

You cant see it intil you get almost up the long sidewalk.

Do you skip those? Or Knock anyway??????

I door knock them, give them some good news about the neighborhood, the housing market, the city, something up beat and have a big smile!

I will NOT go to a property where it is posted "No Trespassing" you could go to jail for that. I will say recently I went up a very long drive and noticed near the house it was posted "No Trespassing" the young man came out and was very - very nice! But, as a rule those are the only doors I won't go to "No Trespassing"

Edited by Thunderstruck (07/16/13 06:27 PM)

#426046 - 07/17/13 02:23 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Noname Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Thunderstruck,

What kind of ratios have you gotten from door knocking. I'm starting to knock myself and I'm a bit curious as you seem to have a bunch of door knocking experience.

Thanks!

Karl Nielsen

#426078 - 07/17/13 10:20 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Noname]
Thunderstruck Offline

Originally Posted By: Karl N
Thunderstruck,

What kind of ratios have you gotten from door knocking. I'm starting to knock myself and I'm a bit curious as you seem to have a bunch of door knocking experience.

Thanks!

Karl Nielsen

The answer to your question varies based on different conditions. Over all though, per one hundred homes I can generate on average 1.8 listing appointments and 3 buyers. I am not after buyers, but they are there.

Since your just starting, keep track of your numbers, you want to see improvement within 6 months. After 5 years you will be a seasoned Pro. Think about this fact, most of the agents that are grossing at least $250.000.00 and up per year prospect as follows: 1. Past Client and Centers of influence 2. Expired listings 3. FSBO 4. Around Just Listed/ Just Sold which I call cold calling and a number of 'other sources'. With #1 thru #4 they are using the phone and door knocking.

Knocking on doors like the phone needs to be 5-5 1/2 days per week, no hit and miss stuff. You can start slow like 1 hour per day door knocking, then add to that. The first door is the hardest, your own, the second hardest is the first one in the neighborhood, from there it gets easier after that.

Put Mike Ferry's scripts on a full size clip-board and take it to the doors with you and ask those questions. Those questions are all about the prospect and not about you or me. HINT: Pay attention to their property, you will notice if they have children, they use a wheel chair, if they are religious, have a nice car...ect. A small positive comment first can start the stage for those questions on your clip-board.

One vital point 'Lucky' has mentioned several times and worth mentioning again is the value of following up on a lead like crazy.

Edited by Thunderstruck (07/17/13 10:21 PM)

#426234 - 07/23/13 05:21 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Noname Offline

Thunderstruck,

On days where you have to show units to clients from 6pm-8pm and can't door knock. Do you door knock from 9am-11am in the morning? When do you usually knock?

I myself prefer to knock from 6-8pm weekdays and on weekends two hours of knocking before whichever open house I'm hosting using that open house as an intro to start chatting with them.

Thanks!

#426243 - 07/23/13 06:43 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Noname]
Thunderstruck Offline

Originally Posted By: Karl N
Thunderstruck,

On days where you have to show units to clients from 6pm-8pm and can't door knock. Do you door knock from 9am-11am in the morning? When do you usually knock?

I myself prefer to knock from 6-8pm weekdays and on weekends two hours of knocking before whichever open house I'm hosting using that open house as an intro to start chatting with them.

What are your goals for the rest of the year?

How many listings taken ____________?

How many listings sold ____________?

Your listings price range ____________?

From your goals you can make a decent workable business plan, however, one that makes you stretch. You can do it!

I don't work just any buyer, only past clients who are motivated and clients that I am selling their home, I will help them find another home to buy.

I phone prospect Monday from 8am thru 7pm and 8am to 12pm Tuesday thru Friday, Admin work after lunch go door knocking 2pm thru 3:30pm, then appointments 4pm thru 5pm. Two Saturdays I'll go to Expireds, Cancels, and FSBO, which I cherry pick.

My next goal is to have most all listing appointments in my office.

Plus...think about this, what will you do when the weather gets bad, and less day light?

Learn now to use the phone! Go ahead and door knock, but do both. Does that make sense.

Just to look at your picture, you seem like you could have the energy and smarts to earn over $1.000.000 per year, yes?

Thanks!

#426246 - 07/23/13 07:16 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Thunderstruck Offline

Sorry how my reply ended up in the box.

Let me add this, when I first started going door to door all we had was rotary phones. Can you imagine how long it took to dial 100 numbers back then?

Also, there are days when one, including me just not does feel motivated enough to get on the phone, so then I'll go door knock.

Write this down and hang it in a number of places, I Karl prospects from 8am thru 12pm five days a week. No Excuses! Eighty percent of my working day will be prospecting. No Excuses Stop working with buyers.

Where do you think your results would be after 30 days?

Edited by Thunderstruck (07/23/13 07:18 PM)

#426256 - 07/23/13 09:04 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Thunderstruck]
Noname Offline

I'd imagine I'd be working with several sellers if I followed your plan of success.

I will be dialing from 8am to 12am daily using mojo and door knocking from 5-8 daily. I really appreciate your advice and tips!

Have you had issues with calling people on the DNC list before? I'm hoping if they get upset, I can simply apologize over the phone and not get myself into trouble.

Thanks again for the tips!

#426280 - 07/24/13 01:32 PM Re: Daily door knocking activity for you to view [Re: Noname]
Noname Offline

Thunderstruck,

What do you say when they first answer the door?

I follow the mike ferry script after my introduction but would like to hear which introduction you use once they open the door.

Thanks

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Gianis, Elair Properties, NYREALTYADVISOR, PamelapJames, hafiz sajid
29902 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Big Kahuna, Lonewolfe92, Long Walk, 1 invisible), 70 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 24
VABroker 21
estatereal 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 11
YM 4 RC&MF LLCs 8
sualk54 8
MissionJoe 8