Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270742
No new orders today 13101824
Stupid MLS comments. 3276692
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189467
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061178
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028168
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822638
Let's talk about our cars 670995
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602712
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592408
Most common items found at an REO 576001
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440739
Main Street 419448
asset val seminar in colorado 407155
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340444
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306776
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#401711 - 02/20/12 02:27 PM Failing Composite siding in Washington State
limeyx Offline

Loc: WA
Sorry for the duplicate! I posted this in the Buying section before I saw this section!

Hi,

I am new here and just had an inspection on a house in Woodinville, WA, build in 1994

During the inspection, it was noted that the horizontal composite siding (brand currently unknown ) had water damage that was basically the bottom of each exposed horizontal slat was Damaged.

The damage was from swelling up and contracting, so the paint was chipping off, and you get kind of a serrated feel to it.

Our inspector said ideally immediately replace, but if we leave it for say 10 years or so, the worst that could happen is the siding deteriorates, but no water should enter the house.

I have been doing some reading, and I am no longer sure about the water entry part of it. I dont mind leaving the siding until it for sure has to be replaced, but I for sure dont want water intrusion/frame damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this ?
Thanks,

Nick

Advertisements
#401714 - 02/20/12 03:30 PM Re: Failing Composite siding in Washington State [Re: limeyx]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I think you're talking about some "composite clapboards" that are typically referred to as "Masonite". It's really not much more than pressed cardboard, or fibreboard; and it is expected that it will be protected from water by a coat of paint . . . . and not submerged below a snowbank that, when it melts, will inundate the clapboards, and turn it to mush.

Is there paint on the Clapboards? The damage you're describing sounds like it's due to the lack of paint along the drip edge of the Masonite, and water has been allowed to soak into it.

The paint is what keeps water from being absorbed by the Masonite. If it is allowed to dry out, it can probably be re-painted. If it has deteriorated too much, then no paint will bring it back to looking like new.

I don't think water will penetrate it until it is really falling apart, or if water is allowed to travel behind or under it.

Whatever you do, get a coat of paint on it! Don't just allow it to deteriorate further over the next 10 years.

#401717 - 02/20/12 04:48 PM Re: Failing Composite siding in Washington State [Re: Vermont]
limeyx Offline

Loc: WA
Thanks so much! it is painted. I wish I had a photo but I dont have the report yet from the inspector as we just inspected yesterday.

I think it is likely Masonite or similar, but I am not 100% sure.

I am fine repainting, but the inspector said the only way to really prolong the life is to put a waterproof sealant under the drip lip of each slat, and for the extra life it will give the siding, just not worth it (due to the labor involved)

I guess I am just concerned that water will enter the bottoms of the slats, work its way up and then enter the house. It's already 18 years old, so for sure nearing the end of its life I guess even though its only the bottom edges of the slats that appear compromised.

replacing siding (although expensive) is one thing, but dealing with a bunch of water leaks is something I'd rather not be doing !!

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 40
estatereal 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Lucky Leonardo 11