Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28268715
No new orders today 13101697
Stupid MLS comments. 3276627
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189353
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061094
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028094
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822572
Let's talk about our cars 670880
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602681
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592317
Most common items found at an REO 575856
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440715
Main Street 419390
asset val seminar in colorado 407133
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340427
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306751
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#358664 - 11/23/10 08:34 PM Wind Power
Ryan Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: NY
No idea where to post this...

I'm in the process of purchasing a small vacation home on Lake Ontario. I'm looking for someone who understands the in's and out's of setting up a wind power system.

The home has two heating sources: electric baseboard heaters and a propane furnace. I'm thinking I could probably find a system that would eliminate the need for a propane supply. The home is presently winterized in the off-season, but I'd like to convert it to a year-round rental. Heating requirements during the off-season would be minimal: keep the pipes from freezing, provide a source of heat for short term tenants (less than 2 weeks). The propane source would be retained as a secondary source in case of energy outage.

The usage in the off-season will be minimal, so I need a system that can do inverted electric, or whatever it's called when the electric company pays you for the excess power.

Zoning should not be an issue since I was on the town's ZBA and have political connections there.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Edited by Ryan (11/23/10 08:35 PM)

Advertisements
#358676 - 11/23/10 10:16 PM Re: Wind Power [Re: Ryan]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
I am checking out a few sources. I will post a response a little later tonight. Big project. Congrats on taking it on.

Hi, Ryan...

I do not know anyone on this forum who has that kind of experience. Maybe you can just keep posting around in the forums until you get a nibble. Meanwhile, here is some good info I came across. You may already have all this but I found it very interesting.

I found this article for folks who want wind energy. This is the type information I like...lists and step-by-step instructions and reminders and estimated prices.

http://www.howtosaveelectricity.net/how-much-do-residential-wind-systems-cost/

An extension of that article (there may be several more of different related topics) is this one about selling back to the electric folks. This is what will bring a smile to your face...when you reach this point, you have all kinds of bragging rights in my opinion.

http://www.howtosaveelectricity.net/residential-wind-energy-will-i-still-need-my-power-company/

This next article is entitled "Know Wind Energy Basics Before Investing in Wind Power Systems". I guess most of us are still very green (inexperienced) on how to approach these issues. Just glancing through the article, it looks like you have already addressed these issues or have the information to do so. Wind speed is a biggie. I do not know your area but I am thinking that is no problem near the lake. It discusses regulation, but you said you could work that out. It discusses your needs and you already have those estimates lined out. A vendor will love talking to someone who has done the prelim work.

http://www.suite101.com/content/wind-ene...systems-a229436

Here is an article about one town that did not want a big wind farm in their backyard. I just thought this was interesting.

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2010/10/20/irondequoit-no-to-wind-turbines-in-lake-ontario/

Times are changing and these strange alternatives will one day be the most logical. That can only happen if people like you go after a better way to do things. The folks who sell these units, while a little biased, will help steer you in the right direction. You will be coming to them more educated than most folks once you finish your research.

Please keep us posted on what your research uncovers and if you decide to go through with it, please come back to this thread and keep us updated. I hope you will find the numbers to be favorable and find a reputable company to work with.

Darlene

Edited by Darlene Bitner (11/24/10 08:32 AM)

#395902 - 11/30/11 03:44 PM Re: Wind Power [Re: Ryan]
Shannon22 Offline

Loc: Kansas
That's a pretty cool concept. I need to start thinking wind/solar power when it comes to putting up electrical in some of the flipped houses I've been working on. Especially if it means gaining a few dollars in return from transfered energy to the electric company.

#395933 - 11/30/11 07:50 PM Re: Wind Power [Re: Ryan]
Darlene Bitner Offline
Darlene B
Veteran Member

Loc: Texas Gulf Coast
Shannon22, very smart idea...and very forward thinking on your part. Let us know if the numbers come out looking good. You may start a trend. The first one will be the hardest, I guess.

Nice web sites, BTW. Super clean designs, no visual yelling, reader can concentrate of the info.

Darlene

#398577 - 01/11/12 11:10 AM Re: Wind Power [Re: Ryan]
LegalLawMaster Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US...
I would say find someone around where you live that is into this as well. Wind power is a very good source of energy, so it would be a very good thing to start up. Also, it should be easy to not use it during the off season. Find someone close to you that can help you look further into it.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 76
Vermont 40
estatereal 18
Trouble 16
Flare616 16
RonnieEmz 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10