Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28353941
No new orders today 13123719
Stupid MLS comments. 3310098
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208128
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082738
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043344
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 835857
Let's talk about our cars 681639
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614449
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603663
Most common items found at an REO 593976
EML 459233
REOTRANS 448919
Main Street 434921
asset val seminar in colorado 415312
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346856
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317141
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389298 - 09/14/11 01:11 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
In fact, I am still new to this. I never really got my own website STARTED until late 2007, and it didn't take me very long at all to get in the top of the search engines because I learned how to do it. Most of those links you are all agog over are from my signature in this forum; and my activerain blog. ROFL.

By the end of 2007 I had exactly 2 sales to my name - one was a personal referral and one was a lead I captured from my blog...I started blogging in March or April, got the lead in July, got fired for having a blog, started at a new office, kept the lead, and had that closing by December.

I also had gotten two listings from my blogging efforts, which get to the top of search engines IMMEDIATELY - if you do it right. you're hung up on page rank and back links and I don't give a rip about either of those.

You just wanna stay in that "newbies can't do it" frame of mind...to justify annoying people on the phone wink (LOL...just kidding)

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (09/14/11 02:59 PM)
Edit Reason: clarifying

Advertisements
#389314 - 09/14/11 03:35 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
By the way, linden, just to let you know - I worked for Jay Kinder throughout 2010. He's a good guy, but I did not stay with his company when he went independent at the first of this year. I respect him, and he's a whale of motivational speaker - no doubt about it. However, his style is not mine - and that's okay.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#389347 - 09/14/11 07:24 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: barb43]
TylerMeyerRE Offline

Loc: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Sorry to go off topic, but why in the world would you be fired for having a blog Perky?

#389348 - 09/14/11 07:27 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

My broker at the time had forbidden agents from having their own websites. (didn't want any competition, of course). When I asked about if I could have a blog on ActiveRain, the broker was OK with that, thinking it was like MySpace I guess and I'd just be putting stupid stuff on it. I used it for lead generation, of course....and they found it and told me to take it down. I said no, I have a listing and several leads from it, I am not going to take it down...so they fired me.

I learned two valuable lessons: do not work for a competing broker, and make sure your broker allows you to have your own website lead generation. LOL

#389376 - 09/14/11 11:32 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
That would be silly for a broker to fire you because of lead generation, unless they're not getting any cut of the commission; otherwise, very dumb, word DOES get around.

Perky - Where do we learn how your blog has risen so high?

#389382 - 09/15/11 12:28 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Micklola Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Perky, you crack me up!

#389386 - 09/15/11 03:01 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

grin

My blog - everything I learned I learned on ActiveRain. there are many many tutorials on blogging for business there. Much of what I learned I got from a wonderful lady who has since passed away - Karen George. I also picked up a lot of tricks from Katerina Gassett. The old RSS Pieces blog was very helpful but it's different now so I don't know if it's still the wealth of info it was. And there is a ton of great info on The Real Estate Tomato.

I also read some books on blogging - one notable one was Realty Blogging (probably now somewhat obsolete, it's very old, probably at least 4 years, lol).

Bottom line is I just kept digging. I read, and read, and read some more. Instead of spending my days bugging people on the phone, I spent it learning how to get my blog to generate leads. I got quick results (I had leads coming in pretty early on, but as I shared earlier, in my area, people are just as likely to "look" here and then buy in another state because they are not sure where they're going to buy a vacation home, and very few people have a real sense of "urgency" when it comes to typical vacation homes.

#389387 - 09/15/11 03:05 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: VABroker
That would be silly for a broker to fire you because of lead generation, unless they're not getting any cut of the commission; otherwise, very dumb, word DOES get around.

It was crazy. They wanted to control all the leads that came into the office and dole them out as they saw fit. they were OK with other forms of lead generation, like expensive things like farming and advertising and stuff. That was fine. But the internet, well, no, that was nobody's right but theirs. LOL. Well, I found a broker that understood that if the agents make money, the broker makes money. smirk

#389396 - 09/15/11 10:09 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
In fact, I am still new to this. I never really got my own website STARTED until late 2007, and it didn't take me very long at all to get in the top of the search engines because I learned how to do it. Most of those links you are all agog over are from my signature in this forum; and my activerain blog. ROFL.

By the end of 2007 I had exactly 2 sales to my name - one was a personal referral and one was a lead I captured from my blog...I started blogging in March or April, got the lead in July, got fired for having a blog, started at a new office, kept the lead, and had that closing by December.

I also had gotten two listings from my blogging efforts, which get to the top of search engines IMMEDIATELY - if you do it right. you're hung up on page rank and back links and I don't give a rip about either of those.

You just wanna stay in that "newbies can't do it" frame of mind...to justify annoying people on the phone wink (LOL...just kidding)

i never say cant..that word isnt in my vocabulary..
i said it takes time...
google has changed,..you dont give a hoot about how many pages indexed, or backlinks..
unfortunately..google does...
if you and another blogger is equal in writiung skills...
he can beat you just by having more pages indexed and more backlinks...
google has changed..i used to rank keywords with 1 minute videos..now thats much tougher to do..
and google still does care about on page
alt image tags
keyword density
key word in h1,h2,h3 tags
length of articles etc,..
i learned all that stuff years ago from rss pieces and those other sources you named,..
try ranking for any keywords in 2011 google
with out good onpage seo..

#389409 - 09/15/11 01:13 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I never said to try anything without onpage seo. Where do you get that? That's all part of doing it right. If I were just randomly blogging and creating a website without a thought to SEO I would be nowhere.

Regardless of what you say the overall tone of the majority of your posts is for newbies to forget online stuff and focus on cold calling.

#389411 - 09/15/11 01:18 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

And...google is ALWAYS changing, but one fact remains - content is king. If you have crappy content even if you rank well, PEOPLE won't care and they'll ignore your site and move to the next one.

When I said I don't give a hoot about backlinks I should have clarified - I am not focused on creating backlinks. They just happen...every time I post here, every time I post a blog. Every email I send out gets links in it, every profile page I have set up has my link in it. It really wasn't that much of an effort to get those links - yes it took time...but...consider this:

In MANY (if not most) markets, the majority of realtors are not internet savvy (shoot, many of the agents I know don't even have their own website, let alone a blog.) It is not that hard to rise to the top, though that will change if more young agents who grasp the idea of the internet come along and become competition.

At this point in time many agents are still in the "old school" frame of thought. In some markets (esp. in the Pacific Northwest, I'll bet) where tech is king, yeah, it will be harder to compete. But I daresay that many new agents can get right to the top right away for targeted key words if they try.

#389431 - 09/15/11 03:28 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Atlanta GA
It doesn't have anything to do with how many backlinks you have. One followed backlink from a trusted site (like NY Times) will trump 15,000 weak links. Forum comments, blog comments and those type of links are practically worthless.

#389439 - 09/15/11 04:31 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

And...google is ALWAYS changing, but one fact remains - content is king. If you have crappy content even if you rank well, PEOPLE won't care and they'll ignore your site and move to the next one.

When I said I don't give a hoot about backlinks I should have clarified - I am not focused on creating backlinks. They just happen...every time I post here, every time I post a blog. Every email I send out gets links in it, every profile page I have set up has my link in it. It really wasn't that much of an effort to get those links - yes it took time...but...consider this:

In MANY (if not most) markets, the majority of realtors are not internet savvy (shoot, many of the agents I know don't even have their own website, let alone a blog.) It is not that hard to rise to the top, though that will change if more young agents who grasp the idea of the internet come along and become competition.

At this point in time many agents are still in the "old school" frame of thought. In some markets (esp. in the Pacific Northwest, I'll bet) where tech is king, yeah, it will be harder to compete. But I daresay that many new agents can get right to the top right away for targeted key words if they try.

depends on if you live near or outside a major metro area,..
for instance in my market im not just competing with well funded brokers..
im competing againt zillow, homes.com, zillow , individual realtors,.. even long tail has extreme competition..

such as trump plaza jersey city..
or 77 hudson jersey city

these are long tails yet, still some pretty heavy competition on them,..

and dan,

doesnt change my point..if you have zero backlinks and your competition has them..

and everything else is equal you will get outranked,..
google counts pages indexed and off page seo such as
backlinks,..

google is always lying..like how they say paid links dont count, keyword density dont count, anchor text dont count..its all nonsense..

i wouldnt trust google for seo advice..

i go to guys like aaron wall, seobook, seomoz etc..

in every industry..there are best practices..although we like
to pretend..ours is no different,..

no freebies in seo in competitive markets..
you better have good on-page
and a good backlinking strategy..or you wont even be on page 10 of google in competitive markets

#389445 - 09/15/11 05:58 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I'm always competing against zillow, trulia, and my own franchise...weichert.com. LOL. I know I'm not getting "all" the leads, I don't want them all. I snag the people who want a personal touch.

And it pays off in spades.

#389482 - 09/15/11 11:20 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

I'm always competing against zillow, trulia, and my own franchise...weichert.com. LOL. I know I'm not getting "all" the leads, I don't want them all. I snag the people who want a personal touch.

And it pays off in spades.

I totally agree it pays off..and is worth the effort..
like say you spent a half hour each day writing a good blogpost 500 words...
then a half hour of participating on forums that gives a backlink..like here and others. like commenting on other blogs...
thats 30 hours a month
if you did that 2 months straight and generate 1 sale
at 6,000
thats $100 per hour...

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CarolRPhilly, Angela123, LewTube, Gianis, Elair Properties
29906 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Sun Diego Broker, Long Walk, David Hunter, 1 invisible), 60 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
VABroker 21
estatereal 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
sualk54 9
MissionJoe 8
Mr. Clean 7