Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28454478
No new orders today 13135025
Stupid MLS comments. 3340828
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224994
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100781
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055387
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 844021
Let's talk about our cars 697001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622382
Most common items found at an REO 615691
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612635
REOTRANS 461336
EML 459235
Main Street 442255
asset val seminar in colorado 421700
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352814
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 328058
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#388655 - 09/06/11 06:05 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
The beautiful thing about floor time at my broker is, it's completely voluntary. Every month, you let the office coordinator know when you are (or are not) available, and they set up a schedule populated with those who responded.

Advertisements
#388658 - 09/06/11 07:07 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
Originally Posted By: jbsnadb
The beautiful thing about floor time at my broker is, it's completely voluntary. Every month, you let the office coordinator know when you are (or are not) available, and they set up a schedule populated with those who responded.

ok lets discuss tracking..cause its the best thing to save your money and career..

1. how many open houses did you do?
2. how many sales did you make?
3. how many hours to get that contract?

same with floortime...

this is my observations..
i started with a giant remax company
over 100 agents over 300 listings..
i never once saw the top producers doing floortime or open houses, in fact..

the topproducers were always trying to get the newbies to do open houses and floor time..

if you are making money from open houses and floortime then keep doing them..simple

richard branson-billionaire of virgin airlines, mobile phones etc has a great lil expresiion on this

1. can i track it..to measure results?
2.is it working?
3. am i happy with the results?

if all 3 are yes carry on
if all 3 are no change something

im for anything that works..if you are getting results..carry on
but if you are in the 80% of raltors doing 4-6 deals a year

or the
90% of realtors doing 6-8 deals a year and you want more...change something..

#388660 - 09/06/11 07:36 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I cut my Real Estate Teeth doing floor time during a sloooow market.

A little over 20 years ago, I joined a small country brokerage in the center of a small Vermont Village. The principals didn't insist on Floor Time, nor were they willing to work anything other than Banker's Hours themselves. They really had no experience in what it means to hustle.

I took it upon myself to keep the Office manned every night until 6:30 or 7:00 PM to catch the "after work" crowd and all day on Saturday to catch the "week-end shopping" crowd. I also took the opportunity to open the Office up most weekday mornings at 7:30 or 8:00 AM, and put the old "OPEN" flag out front to welcome in the "on the way to work" crowd. I even opened the Office up on Sundays (after 12:00 Noon) to catch to "after church" crowd.

Doing this Floor Time also afforded me the opportunity to off-load incoming messages from the answering machine, and I made sure to take care of all new calls that weren't already working with someone else in the Office.

Other Agents didn't even have keys to the building (they probably never even asked for them), let alone appear to be running the show; they didn't have a clue as to what it takes to establish a foothold in this business. The Principals knew what I was doing, but were unwilling to stop me OR to do it themselves; they'd rather be home relaxing or out golfing, fishing, boating or watching a football game; they'd gotten fat and lazy during the good times. I think they knew what I was doing; but seemed powerless to make me do otherwise. Floor time was there for the taking . . . . so I took it.

After about 5 or 6 weeks, the results of my efforts started to bear "visible" fruit: My listings and pending transactions began to pile up and I even began Closing some of the business that originally just "walked in the door". Opportunity knocks, but someone has to be there to open the door. I just made sure I was there !

Too bad those guys didn't make enough money to keep the business afloat . . . . I was the only one making sales, and that couldn't feed them all plus pay their bills. Nice people; BUT NOT WORKERS! I always try to avoid ever tying my dinghy up to any sinking ship. When I refused to buy the business (including its debt), they withered up and died . . . . and I had to go elsewhere; but I was welcomed elsewhere (as long as I wasn't seen as a threat).

With a small business, remember, it's easier to grow than it is to shrink. My first brokerage had it easy in the beginning; but didn't know what to do when the market turned on them. It's an important lesson . . . . not to be learned the hard way.

But I digress . . . . One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Floor Time was very good to me!

#388670 - 09/06/11 09:20 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Doin' bpose]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Doin' bpose
Keep in mind floor duty is just you working as your broker's receptionist, except without pay. It is not a perk to the agent but to the broker.

I guess that depends on the brokerage because we have a receptionist 7 days a week all day 9 till 5pm. Agents only talk to leads or if they grab the phone when the receptionist stepped out to the mailbox or gets overloaded.

#388690 - 09/06/11 11:00 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Vermont]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Vermont
I cut my Real Estate Teeth doing floor time during a sloooow market.

A little over 20 years ago, I joined a small country brokerage in the center of a small Vermont Village. The principals didn't insist on Floor Time, nor were they willing to work anything other than Banker's Hours themselves. They really had no experience in what it means to hustle.

I took it upon myself to keep the Office manned every night until 6:30 or 7:00 PM to catch the "after work" crowd and all day on Saturday to catch the "week-end shopping" crowd. I also took the opportunity to open the Office up most weekday mornings at 7:30 or 8:00 AM, and put the old "OPEN" flag out front to welcome in the "on the way to work" crowd. I even opened the Office up on Sundays (after 12:00 Noon) to catch to "after church" crowd.

Doing this Floor Time also afforded me the opportunity to off-load incoming messages from the answering machine, and I made sure to take care of all new calls that weren't already working with someone else in the Office.

Other Agents didn't even have keys to the building (they probably never even asked for them), let alone appear to be running the show; they didn't have a clue as to what it takes to establish a foothold in this business. The Principals knew what I was doing, but were unwilling to stop me OR to do it themselves; they'd rather be home relaxing or out golfing, fishing, boating or watching a football game; they'd gotten fat and lazy during the good times. I think they knew what I was doing; but seemed powerless to make me do otherwise. Floor time was there for the taking . . . . so I took it.

After about 5 or 6 weeks, the results of my efforts started to bear "visible" fruit: My listings and pending transactions began to pile up and I even began Closing some of the business that originally just "walked in the door". Opportunity knocks, but someone has to be there to open the door. I just made sure I was there !

Too bad those guys didn't make enough money to keep the business afloat . . . . I was the only one making sales, and that couldn't feed them all plus pay their bills. Nice people; BUT NOT WORKERS! I always try to avoid ever tying my dinghy up to any sinking ship. When I refused to buy the business (including its debt), they withered up and died . . . . and I had to go elsewhere; but I was welcomed elsewhere (as long as I wasn't seen as a threat).

With a small business, remember, it's easier to grow than it is to shrink. My first brokerage had it easy in the beginning; but didn't know what to do when the market turned on them. It's an important lesson . . . . not to be learned the hard way.

But I digress . . . . One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Floor Time was very good to me!

are you still doing floortime now?
any deals from it in the last 90 days?

#388693 - 09/06/11 11:07 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
Keep in mind floor duty is just you working as your broker's receptionist, except without pay. It is not a perk to the agent but to the broker.

I guess that depends on the brokerage because we have a receptionist 7 days a week all day 9 till 5pm. Agents only talk to leads or if they grab the phone when the receptionist stepped out to the mailbox or gets overloaded.
Our system has every call going to the agent whose listing generated the contact, whether it be email or phone. Unassigned calls are to be distributed evenly through the roster. Whether that happens is never to be known, but I seem to get my share. We do not see much 'walk in traffic.'

#388699 - 09/06/11 11:42 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Doin' bpose]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Our system has every call going to the agent whose listing generated the contact, whether it be email or phone. Unassigned calls are to be distributed evenly through the roster. Whether that happens is never to be known, but I seem to get my share. We do not see much 'walk in traffic.'

thats why im asking how floor time generates leads..
cause if its a decent brokerage..if the buyer called off a listing
it goes to the listing agent..

so what percentage of calls are not related to a paticular listing?

#388700 - 09/06/11 11:42 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: lindenmoe

Yes . . . . and Yes.

But I now live in the Office.

My Floor Time consists of 6 Days per week; and of course, By Appointment.

#388740 - 09/06/11 04:26 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Vermont]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Vermont
Originally Posted By: lindenmoe

Yes . . . . and Yes.

But I now live in the Office.

My Floor Time consists of 6 Days per week; and of course, By Appointment.

i would carry on then..

i did open houses and floor time my first 3 months pretty agressive didnt make a penny..
never did it again after that in my entire 5 year career

#388747 - 09/06/11 05:05 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA

Ours is the same way. Floor people only handle screened calls 8:30-5.

#388758 - 09/06/11 07:27 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Originally Posted By: jbsnadb

Ours is the same way. Floor people only handle screened calls 8:30-5.
I'll get some calls like that as well, but they are patched through to my cell phone. If a call needs explanation I'll get a call on one line with the heads up from the office and then the patch through. My broker is pretty insistant his employees answer the phone and not the agents. There is no true benefit to staying on the floor (in my office)other than a walk in who wants to be shown right now!!. Frankly we don't get those very often and they usually are dubious IMO.
But as I wrote earlier a call on a listing/email goes to the list agent regardless of where they are.

Edited by Doin' bpose (09/06/11 07:28 PM)

#388759 - 09/06/11 07:30 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
The pros and cons of floor duty and open houses...the posts are beating a deadhorse - if it works for some, it works; but, not using proper English - either a person has a language problem or it could imply a certain lack of intelligence.

I can imagine the day an intelligent buyer or seller comes along, sees how indecipherable an agent's emails are and decides, even if it's just laziness to set a sentence properly, this agent is not for them. It would certainly make me wonder, if my doctor or lawyer could not type proper sentences. Although it may not, in any way reflect their capabilitiy to perform whatever they were licensed for, I'd still have a doubt in my mind.

Many times, it takes me awhile to type a post because I actually google certain words to be sure they are correct. I used to be excellent in spelling and grammar. I think some of my 'delay' in posting is due to reading so many posts, articles, etc., (not just in AOL) that are poorly written and I question my abilities due to the overexposure of poorly written sentences - so, I google. Even my local newspaper has errors, but, the editor does ask that the public notify them of any errors. Does anyone else ask this?

I don't know anyone on AOL, but I still care to make my posts as legible and understandable as possible. Laziness, in this aspect, may work for some in real estate, but, in the real corporate world, it doesn't work and most work in that real world.

#388775 - 09/06/11 10:26 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Quote:
thats why im asking how floor time generates leads..
cause if its a decent brokerage..if the buyer called off a listing
it goes to the listing agent..

In our office the lead goes to the agent the buyer requests...but if they call just on a listing it goes to the floor time person unless the agent is in the office at the time. The reasoning is to talk to the lead while the lead is hot.

If all calls go to the listing agent automatically it sort of (well not sort of, it DOES) suck for the agents who have very few if any listings.

#388793 - 09/07/11 06:11 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: VABroker
The pros and cons of floor duty and open houses...the posts are beating a deadhorse - if it works for some, it works; but, not using proper English - either a person has a language problem or it could imply a certain lack of intelligence.

I can imagine the day an intelligent buyer or seller comes along, sees how indecipherable an agent's emails are and decides, even if it's just laziness to set a sentence properly, this agent is not for them. It would certainly make me wonder, if my doctor or lawyer could not type proper sentences. Although it may not, in any way reflect their capabilitiy to perform whatever they were licensed for, I'd still have a doubt in my mind.

Many times, it takes me awhile to type a post because I actually google certain words to be sure they are correct. I used to be excellent in spelling and grammar. I think some of my 'delay' in posting is due to reading so many posts, articles, etc., (not just in AOL) that are poorly written and I question my abilities due to the overexposure of poorly written sentences - so, I google. Even my local newspaper has errors, but, the editor does ask that the public notify them of any errors. Does anyone else ask this?

I don't know anyone on AOL, but I still care to make my posts as legible and understandable as possible. Laziness, in this aspect, may work for some in real estate, but, in the real corporate world, it doesn't work and most work in that real world.

with total due respect to ya, ..bad english on purpose.. :-)

i sell 500-900k condos..my average is down to to about 479k..

so um guess who can afford to buy 500, 600, 700k condos?

you guessed it, my clients are doctors, lawyers, financial analyst and stockbrokers..

i write and talk to them in proper english...look me up on trulia voices if you question my grammer or intelligence..

that being said,..this is why most agents are broke and starving..focusing on lil stuff that dont matter..this is a forum of agents..not doctors or lawyers..

i will say the last thing on that..i rather be earning six figures, than be some poor struggling english major egghead..just my own opinion..

now back on topic and relevant,..

perky i dont think its right if im the listing agent and i spend money marketing my listings to generate leads for low producing lazy agents in my office..

i had a big fight with my current broker over this...

now the floor time agents know..if they call off my listings to send that lead straight to me..cause i paid for it..

#388833 - 09/07/11 01:51 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
i write and talk to them in proper english...look me up on trulia voices if you question my grammer or intelligence..

that being said,..this is why most agents are broke and starving..focusing on lil stuff that dont matter..this is a forum of agents..not doctors or lawyers..

i will say the last thing on that..i rather be earning six figures, than be some poor struggling english major egghead..just my own opinion..

Besides your arrogance, would your grammar from this website also be found along with your Trulia comments when a person googles you?

If you wrote something incorrectly in a contract offer that was accepted and it came back to haunt you via a complaint/your r.e.board, would they accept your answer (excuse) because you don't believe in English eggheads?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
casperpearl, Green R and i, albertgore, flyboytm, Team Sztanyo
30085 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (T.T.), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 33
Team Sztanyo 31
Vermont 19
kirastan 17
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
Trouble 6
realtor12345 6