Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28450783
No new orders today 13134507
Stupid MLS comments. 3339111
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224004
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1099907
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1054603
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 843237
Let's talk about our cars 696286
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 621617
Most common items found at an REO 614780
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612074
REOTRANS 460451
EML 459235
Main Street 441442
asset val seminar in colorado 421197
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352330
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 327593
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#385812 - 08/08/11 08:28 AM Door knocking strategy
Erik Webster Offline

Loc: Broward County, FL
I spent this weekend listing to two of the programs that I had bought when I was a SoCal Realtor. One is by Phil Nordella who owns the largest Realty Executives in the nation http://www.doorknockingsystems.com/main_mov.html

The other is Bill Nasby http://www.billnasby.com/ who is a well known trainer who took the Ferry Just Listed/Sold script door to door in a major way.

Both are excellent resources, but they have slightly different approaches. Phil Nordella says to take 1,000-1,500 homes and hit it monthly until you have the area on lockdown.

Nasby says to have a more expanded area and maybe recycle the same homes every 3-4 months (or more).

I can see the sense in both approaches. One you go deep into a area and harvest hard, you can keep good notes, get to know the folks by name as you keep them in the note ledger system Nordella gives you.

The second approach says that quantity has quality. I may get plenty of 30-90 day listing leads and then do lead follow up in a more focused way on top of mailing to the lead base I harvest.

I am more leaning towards the Nasby method of going wide and have mapped about 6,000 homes in my target zipcode 33024 / Florida. I should be finished counting them off Google Maps / Sattelite view in a few days as I build routes.

I know that only like .0005% of all Realtors religiously door knock. They tend to be fairly rare even if every one knows they do very very well financially.

Any thoughts? I used to be 100% phone, but I want to get out there and try doors instead to see if it increases my returns vs pure phone.

This is my focus area

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33024&hl=en&ll=26.00619,-80.248089&spn=0.055849,0.07699&sll=37.230328,-95.712891&sspn=49.896813,78.837891&t=h&z=14

Edited by Erik Webster (08/08/11 08:29 AM)

Advertisements
#385814 - 08/08/11 08:33 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
Sassy411 Offline

Loc: TN
In this day and age, do people really open their doors to total strangers? How many listings have you actually gotten this way?

#385825 - 08/08/11 10:07 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
Originally Posted By: Erik Webster
I spent this weekend listing to two of the programs that I had bought when I was a SoCal Realtor. One is by Phil Nordella who owns the largest Realty Executives in the nation http://www.doorknockingsystems.com/main_mov.html

The other is Bill Nasby http://www.billnasby.com/ who is a well known trainer who took the Ferry Just Listed/Sold script door to door in a major way.

Both are excellent resources, but they have slightly different approaches. Phil Nordella says to take 1,000-1,500 homes and hit it monthly until you have the area on lockdown.

Nasby says to have a more expanded area and maybe recycle the same homes every 3-4 months (or more).

I can see the sense in both approaches. One you go deep into a area and harvest hard, you can keep good notes, get to know the folks by name as you keep them in the note ledger system Nordella gives you.

The second approach says that quantity has quality. I may get plenty of 30-90 day listing leads and then do lead follow up in a more focused way on top of mailing to the lead base I harvest.

I am more leaning towards the Nasby method of going wide and have mapped about 6,000 homes in my target zipcode 33024 / Florida. I should be finished counting them off Google Maps / Sattelite view in a few days as I build routes.

I know that only like .0005% of all Realtors religiously door knock. They tend to be fairly rare even if every one knows they do very very well financially.

Any thoughts? I used to be 100% phone, but I want to get out there and try doors instead to see if it increases my returns vs pure phone.

This is my focus area

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33024&hl=en&ll=26.00619,-80.248089&spn=0.055849,0.07699&sll=37.230328,-95.712891&sspn=49.896813,78.837891&t=h&z=14

if your going to knock doors, then you should have 6,000 flyers made out and the doors you knock..
give a flyer..or leave one on the door...
that way you leverage it..to the max..
a great flyer has
a great headline..
like ATTN are Homeowners..Find out what your Home is worth in todays market
Or attn Area Homeowners..A Home was just SOLD in this area..Find out how this affects YOUR homes value..
2.some bullet copy on benefits
know what homes are selling for..
know your homes value
free area market reports..
3. some calls to action
get ur free report no cost or obligation right now
limited supply available..
for the next 17 homeowners..
call now
visit my website
email me

#385826 - 08/08/11 10:08 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Sassy411]
Erik Webster Offline

Originally Posted By: Sassy411
In this day and age, do people really open their doors to total strangers? How many listings have you actually gotten this way?

I usually prospected Just Listed/Solds via phone. If you read my original post I was looking to switch it up with doors.

Thanks for the positive note that adds to the content of this thread.

#385827 - 08/08/11 10:11 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: lindenmoe]
Erik Webster Offline

Originally Posted By: lindenmoe

This is my focus area

if your going to knock doors, then you should have 6,000 flyers made out and the doors you knock..
a great flyer has
a great headline..
Or attn Area Homeowners..A Home was just SOLD in this area..Find out how this affects YOUR homes value..
know your homes value
3. some calls to action
call now
visit my website
email me

I was thinking of a door hanger or flyer or calendar. This company has a new product that speeds it up ALOT and makes it so no litter/door drop offs happen.

http://www.adeasprinting.com/

They have a cool calendar / sports schedule product.. they also do this for door hangers and for flyers.

I was looking at their Stick-It product. I'm getting some samples in the mail this week to play with it.

I have the Craig Proctor Quantum Leap which I picked up from a defunct realtor on Ebay some years ago. Should I do response 800 ads instead of a straight door hanger/calendar/Just Listed-Sold flyer? I could light up my Arch Telecom 800 or ProQuest account again.

Combining the best of Ferry and Proctor methods could make for some strong Kung Fu no doubt.

Edited by Erik Webster (08/08/11 10:17 AM)

#385828 - 08/08/11 11:02 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
I've done both approaches with door knocking, I'll PM you my
result/thoughts later today. I have some demanding clients
that have taken over my entire life which I hate.
Usually I have some control, not this time.

Edited by Hunter 308 (08/08/11 11:03 AM)

#385829 - 08/08/11 11:18 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
I suppose it might work, but my memory of living in south Florida for 12 years was this:

1. People do not answer your door knock or doorbell ring because they are afraid you might be the boogyman.
2. There are so many gated communities that getting in is an issue.
3. There's plenty of communities with "No soliciting" rules and all you need is one hard-*ss to report it.

I've met Bill Nasby a few times - last I knew he was affiliated with Exit Realty and was close to 80 years old. I sat in a 3 hour class with him in 2006 and I only remember two things he said:

1. Sex is great in old age
2. The trouble with the world today is TV shows like Desparate Housewifes.

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

#385830 - 08/08/11 11:28 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

This is my focus area

a great flyer has
a great headline..
know your homes value
3. some calls to action
call now
visit my website
email me

I was thinking of a door hanger or flyer or calendar. This company has a new product that speeds it up ALOT and makes it so no litter/door drop offs happen.

They have a cool calendar / sports schedule product.. they also do this for door hangers and for flyers.

I was looking at their Stick-It product. I'm getting some samples in the mail this week to play with it.

I have the Craig Proctor Quantum Leap which I picked up from a defunct realtor on Ebay some years ago. Should I do response 800 ads instead of a straight door hanger/calendar/Just Listed-Sold flyer? I could light up my Arch Telecom 800 or ProQuest account again.

Combining the best of Ferry and Proctor methods could make for some strong Kung Fu no doubt.

that is the program..
and yes...always do direct response/info providing
not branding..
calenders and recipe cards are a waste of money..
they dont do anything to establish you as an area expert..
now offering market reports, trend reports..thats an expert with value

yes i use the 1800 and website to let them request these area reports..
door hangers are a good idea...

but make sure its direct response..or its junk mail

#385832 - 08/08/11 11:35 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: PA Roadkill]
Erik Webster Offline

Originally Posted By: PA Roadkill
I suppose it might work, but my memory of living in south Florida for 12 years was this:

1. People do not answer your door knock or doorbell ring because they are afraid you might be the boogyman.
2. There are so many gated communities that getting in is an issue.
3. There's plenty of communities with "No soliciting" rules and all you need is one hard-*ss to report it.

I've met Bill Nasby a few times - last I knew he was affiliated with Exit Realty and was close to 80 years old. I sat in a 3 hour class with him in 2006 and I only remember two things he said:

1. Sex is great in old age
2. The trouble with the world today is TV shows like Desparate Housewifes.

The area im going into has no PUD communities, I choose my zone carefully to avoid that. Its all 1960s/70s tract homes with no private deed restrictions.

One block north of where I am looking at there is a PUD community, but nearly 1/2 of it is for sale at 150-200k more than the middle class homes im shooting for. I want all bread and butter listings so I can focus on volume. The non-REO listings go for 170-210k average. They would be considered starter homes or one step up from starter in the area.

While the occasional door may have a No Soliciting sign which i'll respect (i'll still slap a door hanger/flyer on them though). The universal statistics are 25% will answer the door during the day and 35% after 4pm. I have a trick I learned from a friend who has canvassing teams for his business in the roofing industry to increase that.

#385833 - 08/08/11 11:42 AM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: lindenmoe]
Erik Webster Offline

This is my focus area

a great flyer has
a great headline..
know your homes value
3. some calls to action
call now
visit my website
email me

that is the program..
and yes...always do direct response/info providing
not branding..
calenders and recipe cards are a waste of money..
they dont do anything to establish you as an area expert..
now offering market reports, trend reports..thats an expert with value

yes i use the 1800 and website to let them request these area reports..
door hangers are a good idea...

but make sure its direct response..or its junk mail

The zip code I am focusing is very dense and for the most part grid shaped. It has 16,000 SFR residences. I really want to focus like 8-9k of them that are not in private communities with the HOA Nazi's that come with it.

Since I am focusing on 1 zip code only.. you think I should setup a unbranded site like www.33024values.com or www.33024.com? with another erikwebster.com forwarding to that domain?

I am going to pull out the Craig Proctor I'll buy your home in 60 days promo. It's pretty bullet proof. If I remember off the top of my head its

Appraised or Market Price whichever is less
-7% Commission
Seller pays ALL costs
And they have to have used you to buy their next home and close escrow before the deal gets rolling. That 10-10.5% commission plus all the other stuff pretty much poison pills it beyond a marketing hook to get in the door. I would also need to make a addendum for a short sale scenario. If I remember in Florida a agent must have a pre-written contingency offer at listing when he does the List with me and I'll buy it approach.

#385842 - 08/08/11 01:29 PM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

The zip code I am focusing is very dense and for the most part grid shaped. It has 16,000 SFR residences. I really want to focus like 8-9k of them that are not in private communities with the HOA Nazi's that come with it.

Since I am focusing on 1 zip code only.. you think I should setup a unbranded site like www.33024values.com or www.33024.com? with another erikwebster.com forwarding to that domain?

I am going to pull out the Craig Proctor I'll buy your home in 60 days promo. It's pretty bullet proof. If I remember off the top of my head its

Appraised or Market Price whichever is less
-7% Commission
Seller pays ALL costs
And they have to have used you to buy their next home and close escrow before the deal gets rolling. That 10-10.5% commission plus all the other stuff pretty much poison pills it beyond a marketing hook to get in the door. I would also need to make a addendum for a short sale scenario. If I remember in Florida a agent must have a pre-written contingency offer at listing when he does the List with me and I'll buy it approach. [/quote]

i dont use the zip
i use the area like
jerseycityhomeprices.com
the guaranteed sale is.

actually 7% commission
plus the offer should be what an investor would offer
70% of fair market minus repair cost
and they must be buying another home with us
and insert..your paramaters here..

lately i been trying different usp
your home sold in 30 days or i pay you $1,000
your home sold in 90 days or i sell it free
your home sold i 60 days or i buy it..
its all good...

#385878 - 08/08/11 06:32 PM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: lindenmoe]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

If you are going to target 1500 homes you will have to hit them
2-3 times and track who you get. ie. do a run in the day time
and return in the eveing to get the ones you missed.
Your frequency can be intense initially and then you have to back of a bit. Part of this gig is to obtain referrals.
A newsletter work just fine, seeds, callender, not pads, even
pumkins if you are a strong one. The problem with this is you
get to know people and get bogged down with lengthy conversations, you contact count takes a nose dive which will
scare you.

For seven years I did 4000 homes on a lower frequency primarily with self made news letters. For years after I stopped this I still received calls. Chose an area that is mature with a fair number of retirees, with this type of area I would get 35% people home in the day. My area has become younger and now I only get around 25-30% people homes during the day.

As you data base grows you will slack of and slowyly loose your edge in the area. I now this first hand.

Edited by Hunter 308 (08/08/11 06:52 PM)

#385882 - 08/08/11 06:54 PM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Hunter 308]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Nasby's approach makes sense to me, troll through a large
area of 4000 homes and then service your leads heavily.

Specialist's can charge more for their services. Same deal
with brain doctors.

Edited by Hunter 308 (08/08/11 06:55 PM)

#385901 - 08/08/11 08:17 PM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Hunter 308]
Erik Webster Offline

Originally Posted By: Hunter 308
Nasby's approach makes sense to me, troll through a large
area of 4000 homes and then service your leads heavily.

Specialist's can charge more for their services. Same deal
with brain doctors.

Yep thats what I was thinking. And you don't haveta lose track of em, hire a contact assistant part time.

#385902 - 08/08/11 08:21 PM Re: Door knocking strategy [Re: Erik Webster]
Erik Webster Offline

This Mike Ferry DVD set for $95 bucks is a pretty sweet tool in a prelisting kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMwcDSvb2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw39LVz5NpE&feature=related

Edited by Erik Webster (08/08/11 08:22 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Askgauge, PPoe, Cesar, nethgerona1, philgore
30073 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (doug, 1 invisible), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 31
Vermont 16
kirastan 15
estatereal 10
Gamin' Agent 10
sualk54 7
realtor12345 6
reolady123 6
Mr. Clean 6