Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28270970
No new orders today 13101835
Stupid MLS comments. 3276704
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189473
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061182
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028174
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822643
Let's talk about our cars 671001
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602715
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592416
Most common items found at an REO 576018
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440740
Main Street 419452
asset val seminar in colorado 407156
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340445
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306780
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#381301 - 06/29/11 12:51 PM Collecting the Rent
SD Prop. Mgmt. Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
With all the work that goes into unit readiness, marketing and property maintenance of an apartment complex, the day the rent comes in each month is a glorious one indeed. It represents the fruits of one’s labor and enables the owner to pay the bills. Of all events that occur over the course of a month, it ought to be handled with precision and efficiency. This is yet another reason to hire a qualified property management company in Chula Vista like The Property Management Boutique.

Let the tenant know what is expected from the beginning and facilitate his or her paying the rent as much as possible. Have a slotted and locked mail box available where the tenant can place the envelope. Some managers provide marked or preprinted envelopes for the duration of the tenant’s lease.
If a check bounces, have a procedure and follow it. Charge the tenant a penalty within the limits of what’s allowed by law. If it happens a second time, charge the penalty again and this time charge a late fee.

There is something about establishing policies and procedures that help people set priorities. It’s like conditioning.

If you run a tight and effective ship, your “crew” will get on board!

Advertisements
#396316 - 12/06/11 06:10 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
quorum Offline

Loc: BC
For rent collection, I've been experimenting with online payment taking either through email money transfer or PayPal invoicing. There are extra costs involved in this but if I can figure out a way to automate this it will save loads of time. Let me know if anyone else is doing this.

#396353 - 12/07/11 07:35 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Newton Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I offer all my tenants an incentive of $25-50 discount if they pay 5 days before the due date. I have to have payment in hand. Amazing how many of them take advantage of it.

#396966 - 12/15/11 06:45 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: quorum]
Dave23 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: quorum
For rent collection, I've been experimenting with online payment taking either through email money transfer or PayPal invoicing. There are extra costs involved in this but if I can figure out a way to automate this it will save loads of time. Let me know if anyone else is doing this.

I know paypal has subscriptions which would automatically take care of this each month if they signed up for it. You create the subscription on your end with how much and when its due.

#399219 - 01/19/12 09:02 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: quorum]
Ryan Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: NY
I use buildium for property management and rent collection. It's an online system and the cost depends upon the number of units you rent/manage. Tenants can pay via ACH (cost is 50 cents per transaction, 3-4 business days to clear).

The automatic payment system is just one of many benefits of using the software. The monthly cost is EASILY recouped in time savings and on-time payments.

#399927 - 01/29/12 11:52 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
It is certainly important for a landlord to be able to easily and efficiently collect rent from a tenant.

#400750 - 02/08/12 06:01 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
GreenvilleLiving Offline

Loc: SC
I totally agree with using an automated system! It helps minimize trouble and time. Paypal really isn't that expensive.

#401741 - 02/21/12 01:30 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Iftikhar Offline

Loc: Pakistan
Nice post and really interesting replies. Mostly people prefer to save their time but it also depends how far we have to go to collect it. An automated way will surely be good if we have to go a long distance which is time consuming.

#404852 - 04/11/12 03:56 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
lbburn Offline

Loc: NC, USA
In our office, we use RealPage's [url=http://www.realpage.com]property management software[/url] to collect payments from residents and it has made things so much easier for us and for our tenants to pay online at their convenience. I would recommend looking into it.

Edited by lbburn (04/11/12 05:26 PM)

#406189 - 05/04/12 02:33 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Rents2Riches-Pat Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Using a property management software system with ACH is the only way to go. We did the quickbooks thing for a while and tried collecting rent manually and it is a pain. Sometimes unavoidable, but a huge time save if you can automate.

#422506 - 04/10/13 07:33 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
eLoanRates Offline

Loc: California
We simply have our tenants send us a check. Old-fashioned these days but it works.

#422973 - 04/23/13 11:16 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: eLoanRates]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: eLoanRates
We simply have our tenants send us a check. Old-fashioned these days but it works.

Same here - I agree. smile

#424736 - 06/06/13 03:47 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Aalisa Ray Offline

Loc: India
Yes I am agree with you on the point of late fee and penalty with that kind of rules you can easily manage any kind of renting property, don't need to give any flexibility, with strictness you won't have any issue of late payment.

#448199 - 10/12/15 04:09 AM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Ro J Offline

Loc: New York
Too much hassle for me, collecting rent and chasing after my tenants.

I use Rentigo.com to collect the rent online.
Their system sends automated reminders to the tenants so I see a lot less late rents and if they pay after time late fee is added automatically to the bill. Best thing is - It's almost for free! (including their fine property management portal)

#448319 - 10/18/15 08:18 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
Flynlow Offline

Loc: Wa
I have 19 rentals that I own, I have been building my "collection" for 6 years. I have never had a single late payment. I do all the screening for tenants and hire out the maintenance if and when it needs it. I know all of the tenants by name, and have met with all of them when they signed the lease. Yes, this absolutely takes time out of my day, but, I get to pick what tenant I like.
I have always accepted check or cash. That's it. Nothing automated, nothing over the top. Just "mail me a check" or deposit cash into my account.
Sometimes, you've gotta KISS... Keep it simple...

#448618 - 11/02/15 02:16 PM Re: Collecting the Rent [Re: SD Prop. Mgmt.]
jimmyk Offline

Loc: indiana
The number one lesson I have learned from owning rentals is, as the OP says, conditioning the tenant. I give a three-day grace period because I know a lot of people get paid or receive government assistance on the first of the month. But if they don't have it in by that third day I have my attorney send them a 7-day notice automatically. Once they realize you take payment seriously, they will take you seriously. Now, if tenants have a problem like they lost their job or are in the hospital or whatever, they call me ahead of time to explain why they might be late instead of me trying to track them down. It alleviates a lot of stress from wondering if you are going to get paid or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple
29795 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Aabida, Daniel1234, moonstone, 1 invisible), 84 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 40
Flare616 16
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10