Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28353941
No new orders today 13123719
Stupid MLS comments. 3310098
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1208128
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1082738
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1043344
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 835857
Let's talk about our cars 681639
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 614449
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 603663
Most common items found at an REO 593976
EML 459233
REOTRANS 448919
Main Street 434921
asset val seminar in colorado 415312
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 346856
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 317141
Evalonline 300206
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387471 - 08/23/11 11:29 AM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: EllenRosenbaum]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
Originally Posted By: EllenRosenbaum
IMO cold calling and door knocking doesn't work. The true leads are in people calling you that is done by simply marketing yourself and your homes more.

http://ellenrosenbaum.com

ellen your statement is totally false...
cold calling and doorknocking works and have always worked...
a lead is a lead is a lead,
wether through internet, marketing, coldcalling or doorknocking..
you meant to say it doesnt work..for you

2 things..
what does that mean marketing yourself and home more?
postcards,billboards,bus benches, newspaper?
wouldnt that put newer agents out of business before it got a chance to catch on?
your assuming that newer agents have a large war chest..which is probably not the case...
if you were to advise a new agent..with no money to spend on advertising..
what would you reccommend to bring a paycheck in 90 days?

Edited by lindenmoe (08/23/11 12:04 PM)

Advertisements
#387476 - 08/23/11 12:27 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: ThePropertyDon]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
I'm with Moe on this one. Could you please be more specific about these magic ways you have of "marketing yourself more"?

Cold-calling and door knocking are not for everyone, and they may not be your preferred methods, but they do seem to work well for some, so they should not be discounted. I'd love to hear what the alternatives are.

#387477 - 08/23/11 12:54 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: lindenmoe]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: lindenmoe
[

Superb point I cant wait to hear Ellen's answer. Maybe she
married well????, my problem is I'm a guy so it's not so easy
to live of a women and or socially acceptable.

#388106 - 08/30/11 11:11 AM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: Hunter 308]
ibsellin Offline

Loc: USA
[quote=Hunter 308][quote=lindenmoe][

[/quote]

Superb point I cant wait to hear Ellen's answer. Maybe she
married well????, my problem is I'm a guy so it's not so easy
to live of a women and or socially acceptable. [/quote]

I think EVERYBODY is right to some degree. Think about the biggest, power agents. They are the most branded and I highly doubt they door knock, maybe cold call, but they probably have people cold calling for them. Real estate is like a Rube Goldberg machine, one thing leads to another, one listing can lead to one or more listings and one or more buyers if you market it correctly, everything branches off so it's almost like 'the bigger you get, the bigger you get.. etc'.. however, if you don't market your listings, etc. it just sells or expires and you get nothing but the paycheck, that's what Ellen is saying. SO agents with 150+ listings are continually generating more listings simply because everyone knows who they are, and there is a good chance they might call them just because they are interested in one of their listings and who knows, they might have a house to sell.. so if you only have 1 or 2 listings, you need to market the #(#) out of the listing hoping it pulls you more business, even if it does not sell that listing in particular, it could bring you a buyer, or a seller, or a seller who will be a buyer!

Lindenmoe is right too, it takes time and money, and you have to start somewhere. Newer agents, agents without bankrolls should focus on cost effective means of generating revenue. You can't run full page ads with your face and phone number and expect to stay in business.

Once you start generating healthy cash flow you can start branding along with your active prospecting. Once they start knocking down your doors, you can stop knocking on theirs, until then.. keep prospecting.

Edited by ibsellin (08/30/11 11:15 AM)

#388489 - 09/03/11 08:57 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: ThePropertyDon]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Doesn't work is often the cry of the person that never gave it much effort or none at all. No doubt if your getting all the business you want without door knocking or telephoning then great you don't need it. Or if you really actually gave it a fair trial and couldn't get it to work, then do something that works better for you, that's a no brain-er.

Things have changed since I started, back then you had the one income family and generally someone was always home. And as we know things are different now. Almost 100% of my business was referral but these two activities still had a place in my business and paid well even in this new age.

As the old song goes, first you say you do and then you don't, then you say you will and then you won't, your undecided now so what are you going to do? Well decide, do it or don't, it's your choice, but normally if you chose not to do it the decision is based on fear, and the excuse given is it's not professional. So if your not getting the volume of business you want, you may want to re-examine the decision not to do it. I could write a book on the potential business and why but you can devote a little quiet time thinking about it and figure it out.

I can't tell you how many times an agent basically said to me I tried that for an hour once and nothing happened, wow, with a good effort like that I don't understand how come they weren't rolling in money. Same category as I went on a listing presentation once, it didn't work sure won't try that again, if they want to sell they can come to the office and ask me to list their home.

Once I had an agent insist nothing good could happen so I challenged him to one hour of door knocking, as we approached the first door he was starting to look like he was going to faint and started to sweat, when the door opened he let out a high squeak. This was the agent convincing others it didn't work and not to waste their time.

Now days the number one rule should be don't cold call or cold knock, but do warm call or warm knock, big difference in reception and results. Most agents who wait for their ship to come in spend all their time waiting, my first broker said go out and get the ship and bring it in. Don't just sit on your pier and hope the ship ends up there, someone else may get it to dock at their pier instead.

#388519 - 09/04/11 03:44 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

well said guys..well said...
waiting on business in todays market will put you out of busines..
you cant be cheap and lazy..
if you lazy..then dont be cheap..
mail every fsbo and expired in your area at least 5 times..
mail your sphere..past clients etc...
if you are cheap then you cant be lazy..
call that sphere every month..door knock them
call fsbo and expired everyday..door knock them
wanna kick it up a notch..
do both..

#388685 - 09/06/11 03:49 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Brian/Linden.

Thank you, good reminder of the importance of "Warm Calling"
vs "cold calling" and it's okay to be Lazy as long as you
are not Cheapskate.

Edited by Hunter 308 (09/06/11 03:50 PM)

#388737 - 09/06/11 09:21 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: ThePropertyDon]
J&E Offline

Loc: Orange County CA
IMO it depends on your market. Here in southern California most husband and wife work during the day. Door knocking would only be effective on the weekends. If you could only market yourself well on the weekends I would say that is not good enough. Most people donít want to be bugged these days. I think with all the social media and such people prefer to interact a little differently these days.

#388739 - 09/06/11 09:24 PM Re: More Effective Cold Call - Phoning or Door Knocking? [Re: J&E]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: J&E
IMO it depends on your market. Here in southern California most husband and wife work during the day. Door knocking would only be effective on the weekends. If you could only market yourself well on the weekends I would say that is not good enough. Most people donít want to be bugged these days. I think with all the social media and such people prefer to interact a little differently these days.

dont buy into that thinking its dangerous..how many deals you got from social media? me almost none and i have over 1900 fb fans

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CarolRPhilly, Angela123, LewTube, Gianis, Elair Properties
29906 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Sun Diego Broker, Long Walk, David Hunter, 1 invisible), 60 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 45
Vermont 23
VABroker 21
estatereal 20
Trouble 15
Lucky Leonardo 14
sualk54 9
MissionJoe 8
Mr. Clean 7