Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityOne of the most popular online real estate communities consistently since 1998!

Virtual Homestaging at PadStyler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtors Directory

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377928 - 06/03/11 06:10 PM Mold removal help!
ChristieS Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South West Burbs of Chicago
My client is looking at a home that once had a flooded basement. The basement is finished....he is going to tear everything down to the studs and have a company come in and remove the rest of the mold....problem is we can't even get an idea how much it will be to see if we are in the ballpark we want to be in before putting a contract in. Could someone point me in the right direction??
Chicago area
Basement is about 700 sq feet
Thank you so much!

Christie

Advertisements
#377945 - 06/03/11 09:21 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
richb Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Hi Christie,
I am not sure about Chicago area since I am in New Jersey. But if there is that much mold then your client should probably just have the company do all of the work. It is important to remember that if you don't treat the mold properly prior to ripping down the walls then you will bring it throughout the entire house by way of dust.
We just did a bid on a house that needed the first floor and basement ripped down and treated. The bid was almost $25k.
Hope this helps.
Rich

#377980 - 06/04/11 12:24 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
jducey Offline

Loc: New York
Yeah mold remediation can be pretty steep I had a basement done for 15K. There must be some companies by you that can give you a quote?

#377984 - 06/04/11 12:56 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: jducey]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Here in Virginia - had a client that bought a house with about 900 sq.ft. basement. I want to say it was several thousand dollars. Buyer himself gutted most of the basement (it was ugly cheap panelling anyway). He also had an interior french drain put in. He claims the whole bill was around $8k (I never saw the bill).

#377985 - 06/04/11 01:33 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
JackREO Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Last year we had a number of closed up houses that flooded and developed black discoloration on the lower portion of the basement walls. I don't call it mold until I have a mold report in hand. In any event we cut out the bottom 3 feet of drywall, wash it with swimming pool shock (bleach on steroids) 3-4 times 3-4 days apart. then we paint it with Kilz, and then replace the drywall with waterproof drywall and cover with wainscotting. No problems. The swimming pool shock was what a professional mold mediation company used on a 25K gut job. He mentioned chemically treating with something that sounded like the cure for leprosy. But the common name is swimming pool shock. Mixed with water and applied with a floor mop. Wear a ventilator, keep the windows open and a fan running, the fumes are nasty. Also, avoid any amonia near bleach. When mixed they form Chlorine Gas, outlawed by the Geneva Convention. Nasty stuff.
Now if the discoloration is such that it pops the wall board off the studs, or is inside the cabinets and such. I.e permeated the entire dwelling, hire a professional (not an arsonist) since that's beyond bleach treatment.
There are those that will disagree, but the methods I've laid out were as taught to me by the mitigation companies. Yup...I pay attention.

#378499 - 06/08/11 07:27 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
ChristieS Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South West Burbs of Chicago
Thanks everyone....my client is still on the fence as we still haven't gotten a quote of any kind frown The house went down another $5000 today so we are going to put this back up on the table. I will let you know what we figure out smile

#395904 - 11/30/11 09:54 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
Shannon22 Offline

Loc: Kansas
I'm from Kansas City and had some bad mold damage at the entrance of the basement and between the doorways leading up to the first floor. It ran around 12.5K because of how embedded the mold was. Don't know the exact square footage, otherwise it might be a ballpark figure for your Chicago burb.

#397182 - 12/20/11 04:07 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Shannon22]
Caoimhin Offline

Loc: Bailey
Hello Shannon:

You were ripped off. Sorry.

See: http://www.forensic-applications.com/moulds/remediation.html

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

#397208 - 12/21/11 12:51 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Caoimhin]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

THAT was interesting reading! Thanks!

#397219 - 12/21/11 01:35 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Caoimhin]
Dave23 Offline

Loc: New York
Nice info. Thanks

#410400 - 07/21/12 01:48 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
Cierra Env Offline

Loc: Ohio
My company Cierra Environmental provides mold remedation in Ohio and the surrounding states. Those prices seem high compared to ours. We do a lot of work for FM and WF, and most are larger homes with significant damage. It's unusual for us provide a bid more then 10k unless it's a meth contaminated house. I don't mind answering questions or advising if a bid is ligit. email me at andy@cierraenvironmental.com

#412973 - 09/18/12 06:10 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Cierra Env]
REO Services Offline

Loc: Maryland
Carefull most remediation companies will not touch if you go tearing out trying to save money

Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
serving Maryland since 1993
HTTP://www.reoservicesofmaryland.com

Edited by REO Services (09/18/12 06:26 PM)

#415993 - 11/23/12 05:42 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
Bob Vendor Mngr Offline

Loc: MN National
Hello
Energy REO Solution - We do mold remediation across the country
based in MN, MD, DC, TX, CA, FL

energyroe.com
Main phone 763-489-7777

#418467 - 01/16/13 08:45 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Cierra Env]
SafeHarbor Offline

Loc: OHIO
[quote=Cierra Env]My company Cierra Environmental provides mold remedation in Ohio and the surrounding states. Those prices seem high compared to ours. We do a lot of work for FM and WF, and most are larger homes with significant damage. It's unusual for us provide a bid more then 10k unless it's a meth contaminated house. I don't mind answering questions or advising if a bid is ligit. email me at andy@cierraenvironmental.com [/quote]

Hi Andy,

Do you service Eastlake, Ohio areas for mold remediation?

Edited by SafeHarbor (01/16/13 08:45 PM)

#425959 - 07/16/13 12:51 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
jops Offline

Loc: Palmdale
Mold is often an invisible threat to you and your home. When mold spores are present in a humid or moist environment, they can spread quickly; making your home structurally vulnerable and you exposed to potential health problems.

It causes far more than just cosmetic damage to your home. The airborne spores can enter our lungs and cause problems including coughing, inflamed glands, sneezing, asthma attacks and, in some extreme cases, even permanent lung damage. Unfortunately, keeping your home clean is not always enough. Although mold is encouraged by dust and warm, damp conditions, it can infiltrate even the most spotless home. Once it begins to grow, its spores become airborne and might harm the human body. This means that it can enter our lungs and take possession of other parts of our homes. It is surprising how even the smallest growth of mold can give rise to a major problem. You must have what they call mold testing.

Find out more at [url=http://www.funguyinspections.com]Mold Testing Services[/url]

Edited by jops (07/16/13 01:02 AM)

#442473 - 01/20/15 06:02 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
Spotless Mold Offline

Loc: NY
Our company would charge between $9,500.00 to gut and remediate a 700 Square foot basement. Rebuilding costs wuld be additional.

www.absolutelyspotlessmoldpa.com

www.absolutelyspotlessmoldny.com

#442676 - 01/24/15 07:19 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
David01 Offline

Loc: USA, NC,Charlotte
As a Mold Inspection Charlotte NC, i recommend Vinegar Spray more helpful in removing Mold from your houses in limited time..
Still if you are having mold problems in your homes.we can give you the best services in the state.

Executive Restoration
5437 Cedarmint Drive
Charlotte, NC
704-545-0098

#442696 - 01/24/15 08:12 PM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: Caoimhin]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Caoimhin
Hello Shannon:

You were ripped off. Sorry.

See: http://www.forensic-applications.com/moulds/remediation.html

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

I always refer my clients to this website. The 'mold' issue is more of a scam to me. You'll always have mold in your house. It'll always be outside when you step out for a 'breath of fresh air'. Capitalism loves to feed on the fears of others. I am a true believer in capitalism and people being informed. Get off the computer games, the texting, the tweeting and start reading, educating yourselves.

#442705 - 01/25/15 06:17 AM Re: Mold removal help! [Re: ChristieS]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
I agree. mold is common everywhere and there are a few molds that are dangerous to people. Kinda like bacteria. The media jumps on an issue and pounds the heck out of it.

I'm waiting for the first ebola inspection or deflation inspection or Bill Cosby inspection company to appear.

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Bytes, bpoexpert, catador4255, Daini Marry, Cece
29080 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (BPOs4ever, 1 invisible), 202 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 32
Jhony 29
Daniel1234 24
rdayley 16
C21Mr.May 15
David Hunter 15
Z06Fanatic 14
JohnN 11
JMK307 10