Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28308591
No new orders today 13116921
Stupid MLS comments. 3291716
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1195484
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1068786
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1032006
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 825201
Let's talk about our cars 672643
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 605183
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 595625
Most common items found at an REO 581458
EML 459233
REOTRANS 442277
Main Street 424797
asset val seminar in colorado 408784
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 341217
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 310135
Evalonline 300205
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37727 - 09/30/04 09:16 AM Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly
DivineMoving Offline

Loc: New York,NY USA
Ask questions when hiring a professional moving company
Ask anyone who's survived the moving experience. Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly. You've heard the horror stories about broken TV screens, scuffs on the freshly painted walls, chips on the banister, gashes on the chair legs, grease-stained sofas and dirty footprints on the plush carpeting. It's tempting to get caught up in the dollar figure you receive from a moving company, but the ultimate determinant of your move is the level of customer service that moving company brings you. Particularly if you're moving cross-country, moving is a process riddled with potential potholes - disastrous scenarios in which your furniture or even your new home suffers damage, and your bank account is depleted drastically.
When it comes time to hire a moving company, you've got to be prepared to become a sleuth, an undercover agent, so to speak. Arm yourself with questions, and interview your prospects before you leap upon a "great deal." Don't just interview moving companies, either. While you'll certainly find plenty of reputable and conscientious moving companies out there, you'll find some others who aren't so savory - who will tell you what you want to hear. After all, what company would say, "Well, yes, we did drop a priceless heirloom once ... and there was also that time when the back door of the van dropped open and we lost a sofa, but other than that, we've got a terrific track record."
Make sure that every mover you interviewed is licensed with the state Department of Transportation and/or Interstate Commerce Commission. And call your local Better Business Bureau to find out if any of the movers you're considering have "rap sheets" of customer complaints. You'd be very, very wise to ask for references from each company with whom you speak. And, of course, if you have friends or family in the area who have used the services of a moving company, ask them for a candid recap. Did the crew work as quickly and efficiently as they could, or did your neighbor catch Lenny lounging on the job?
Be sure to ask all of your references such questions as:

Did the crew show up at the time agreed upon in your contract?
Did the reference's contract contain a specific clause regarding compensation received for any damage incurred to the customer's possessions by moving crew?
How closely did the crew adhere to the time estimate outlined in your estimate?
Did the reference receive a binding or nonbinding estimate? If the estimate was nonbinding, how close did the crew come to sticking with that figure? Did they exceed it by a large margin, and if so, why?
Was the crew friendly? Enthusiastic? Willing to move everything without complaint? Or did they put up verbal obstacles, such as "That's too heavy" or "We don't dismantle furniture"?
Did the crew wrap your items well and transport them with care?
Did the crew have all of the necessary equipment they needed to move the customer's possessions, or did they add needless time onto the move while they "tracked down" necessary packing materials and other moving aids?
Did the moving crew have a clear idea of their directions to the new residence? Did they arrive at the customer's new residence on time? If they experienced any delays, did they contact the customer to explain why? Did they charge the customer more as a result of that unforeseen delay?
Did any of your possessions suffer damage before, during or after transport (going from the truck to your new home)? If the answer is yes, how extensive was the damage? Did the movers own up to the damage when your reference brought it to their attention? Did they offer to compensate the customer, or did they deny responsibility?
After you've interviewed the references of about four moving companies, narrow down your choice to two or three, and begin the process of receiving estimates for your move.

Courtesy of Divine Moving & Storage ltd. http://www.divinemoving.com

Advertisements
#37728 - 10/11/04 05:05 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly
Unregistered

I concur!
It's tempting to use a "pack-it-yourself" service to save some money. However unless you have indestructable furniture, consider the amount per pound they are willing to cover for damage. It's usually quite small and doesn't come close to providing coverage.

------------------
Rick Bucich
www.bucich.net
Ridgefield CT

#37729 - 10/25/04 01:35 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly
Las Vegas Homes Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
I have used and reccomended to serveral clients to use movex.com I have never had a problem with them and they always seem to take very good care of my customers.

I can also tell you they cost about 75% less then most of your other national moving companies.

#37730 - 10/26/04 12:40 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly
DivineMoving Offline

Loc: New York,NY USA
I heard good things about them as well, the only bad thing is they use agents, which is not so good - it's better to have the same move do everything from packing at the origin until the delivery in the destination, this way they will take responsibility over any damage, but when a big company with over 40 agents come no one take care of your furniture as they should "the main office will take care of the problems..."
I will suggest if possible to have the same team or the same agent do the whole move form start till end..

#37731 - 10/26/04 09:07 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly
Las Vegas Homes Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Well I agree to a point but, I know that I never have had any problems or any of my clients ever have. Most companies that will load and unload your furnishings are bonded and insured, so if anything happens they are responsible for the damage.

To avoid a he said she said, always take pictures of the loading and unloading this will prtect you greatly. You may have a very good company and offer a great service, but I do not know what you charge and I do know what they charge me and my clients and its a great deal compared to others I have seen out there that offer the same type of move.

#395911 - 11/30/11 04:35 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Shannon22 Offline

Loc: Kansas
The last point was a great one. It's always a great idea to have stock photos of the most important items being relocated. Even with insurance coming from both ends, you'll still want to have photos available to secure any and all loose ends. Think of it like getting into a fender bender. Most people are encouraged to have a disposable camera or camera phone to collect evidence to send off to the insurance companies.

#400883 - 02/10/12 10:03 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Great moving advice contained in this thread. Relocation can certainly be a lot of work that isn't realized when the project begins.

#401072 - 02/13/12 05:08 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Harrisk Offline

Loc: London
Its really necessary to research throughly about the moving companies before hiring them. If you get satisfied from the all the things only then hire them.

#402855 - 03/07/12 03:44 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
David Anderson Offline

Loc: UK
Before hiring any company you need to inquire first. Mostly these companies are relyable. And good thing is we need not to take stress when moving. These companies take responsibility over any damage.

#403408 - 03/15/12 03:31 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Yup, definitely an often overlooked point when moving. Need good quality people to handle the bulk of your worldly possessions.

#410856 - 08/02/12 03:27 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
ducourtier Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Quebec
When hiring movers I always tell my clients to go with a company that will have very good insurance. Some can go up to 1M$ in case of floor damage or wall damage.

#413700 - 10/01/12 03:34 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Musa Opondo Offline

Loc: USA
You can also rely on recommendations from friends,real estate agents,co-workers.....
Don't assume that big companies are the best.

#432146 - 01/23/14 04:16 AM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
Nashville Homes Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hey, Divine Moving!

That was a fabulous written piece; would it be alright if I put it on a piece of print collateral for my clients? smile I'd be happy to ref you on the bottom, and put a link to your website and suchlike! We're currently putting together a lot of print collateral packages.

#442513 - 01/21/15 07:56 PM Re: Hiring a moving company isn't something you can take lightly [Re: DivineMoving]
MarcioWilges Offline

Loc: Sydney
Before hiring any services at all, and not just those of a moving company, you need to do some research on the company’s background and previous track record. Ask around for feedback and reviews from friends and family if they have hired any. If not, visit the company’s website to see if there are any info from past customers. You should not be intrigued by a company’s marketing strategy which often involves really low and competitive prices. Instead, you need to ensure the company provides a full package that not only provides affordable services but of a high quality too.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
JeanneSells4U, tpierce, Akingofhomes, LiamOliver, idxmatrix
29847 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
FlyerRE 41
Long Walk 33
Vermont 23
Mr. Clean 13
Trouble 9
Lucky Leonardo 9
estatereal 7
Bigtoe 7
JohnN 5