I have spent quite a bit of time checking out sites that offer housing solutions for the homeless. While a homeless person finally finding a normal structure to live in will usually not make an agent any commission, we all do feel for these people. After the past few years, some of us may be homeless.

There is a big movement in this country by many people in the governmental, architectural and housing industries to try to use a common sense approach to housing for these unfortunate folks. Instead of considering them for a normal housing choice, a solution that would only help a very small percentage, they are finding that practical, portable and very low cost structures are being designed, tested and accepted more than ever. I will post below the link to what I think is the best I have seen so far. Maybe you are in an association or social group that might consider having some type contest to see who can design the most practical portable housing unit for use by the homeless. These type events have been very successful in spreading the word and getting folks thinking about helping the homeless to help themselves. An inexpensive trophy could be donated by a trophy shop to go to the winner and then the different entries could be donated to the homeless through a charity reponsible for finding homes for them. I see no reason why these little shelters could not go to the homeless who were willing to provide sweat equity, similar to Habitat for Humanity. Of course, many homeless are unable to do any type work, which is what got them in the situation to begin with.

Check out the link to the site and see the experimental shed with large wheels. It had everything necessary and was quite impressive. This home allows those who do not want to be tied down to take their home with them. It gives them a chance to sleep dry in rainy weather, to escape wild animals, to have some of the conveniences of a real home as well as replace the clunky and difficult to push grocery cart. This cart also has room for just a few momentos that the resident may still have in his or her possession.

Here is the link to this home...The Mobile Homeless Shelter by Paul Elkins. I hope you review all 28 of the photos of what I think is the best design yet. The little home utilizes a push bar in the back similar to a grocery cart, something that homeless people have become accustomed to pushing. Naturally, this one has a lot of extra work and trim, something a basic one would not have. I am including another link offering a different point of view on these sheds but a basic version of Paul's shed would be fantastic from my point of view. I have very little appreciation for the shelters that resemble a Slinky toy covered with thin vinyl or canvas, although they do get good reviews from those who evaluate these things...and from their occupants who formerly slept on the concrete. Some of them are just places to crawl into and stay dry, which is a plus but not excactly a long-term housing solution to the homeless.

http://openarchitecturenetwork.org/projects/dlygad2_mobile_shelter

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/shelter_in_a_ca_1.php

Edited by Darlene Bitner (05/25/11 02:23 AM)