Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28273452
No new orders today 13102001
Stupid MLS comments. 3276839
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189552
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061276
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028287
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822802
Let's talk about our cars 671112
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602741
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592489
Most common items found at an REO 576196
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440772
Main Street 419512
asset val seminar in colorado 407211
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340466
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306826
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#370180 - 03/18/11 10:06 PM My relationship with buyer's representative
timothy1 Offline

Loc: California
I'm a soon-to-be first time home buyer with a question about my relationship to a buyer's rep.

On one hand, I think a newbie like me could get in serious trouble by not using a professional to craft an offering price and contingencies, handle liaisons with the attorney and escrow agent, and hold my hand up to the closing. I'd never attempt it on my own.

On the other hand, there's an awful lot I can do myself. I can browse MLS listings at realtor.com, call up the agent who's brokering the listing, and make appointments to see the home myself. (Or that's what I assume, anyway.) Sure, I'll want my buyer's rep to take a look at any home I'm serious about, but she or he doesn't have to go see every one.

To me, it makes the most sense to pay the buyer's rep by the hour ... but I don't want to press for that arrangement if it's unusual, and would put the rep in a difficult spot.

In all the reading I've done online, I'm still not sure of how much a buyer's rep is generally paid, and who pays her or his fee -- the buyer and the seller.

Any insight will be appreciated. I've found plenty of answers in what I've read online, but a lot I'm still mystified about.

(I should mention: I won't need a mortgage, and intend to pay cash for whatever I get.)

Edited by timothy1 (03/18/11 10:34 PM)

Advertisements
#370198 - 03/19/11 08:01 AM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: timothy1]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Typically, the buyer's agent splits the commission the seller pays the listing agent. So, a buyer does not necessarily have to pay.

If you look at a house with the listing agent first then the listing agent might not split the commission with the buyer's agent. In this scenario you would be paying your agent while the listing agent keeps the whole commission.

Your best bet is to find a good buyers agent and have them help you find the house. If you bring them in on just the house you pick then they won't be able to help you compare the other houses to this one.

Your buyer's agent can get paid from the split commission offered in the MLS. If the commission offered in the MLS is too low or non existent then you just skip that house because the seller has already showed how they are not serious/realistic about selling.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

ps. Do not sign an exclusive buyer agency agreement until you have worked with the agent for a while to be sure you are not committing yourself to the wrong agent. They will say it is the law but they can have you sign a non exclusive buyer agency agreement which covers their requirement and does not force you to work with a slacker.

#370207 - 03/19/11 09:09 AM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: timothy1]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: timothy1
(I should mention: I won't need a mortgage, and intend to pay cash for whatever I get.)

Hearing that, I'd be glad to represent you if you want to make a purchase in Vermont !

#370377 - 03/21/11 04:14 PM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: Bigtoe]
timothy1 Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for the feedback, Bigtoe and Vermont. It sounds like this is something to discuss with the would-be buyer's rep, once I'm ready to start working the phones.

I appreciate the tip about avoiding an exclusive buyer agreement.

#370880 - 03/27/11 06:29 PM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: timothy1]
BK Estates Offline

Loc: SoCal
A lot of the listings on Realtor.com are dated, and not available. You will need a better source to find available homes for sale. You can't just call the seller and make an appointment to see the house. Those arrangements are made through agents. In most circumstances, you don't pay the buyer's agent, they are paid by the seller. So you really don't have anything to lose by using a buyer's agent. I think it is better for the buyer to have his own agent, rather than going through the listing agent. The buyer's agent will look out for your interests.

There are good arguments to be made on both sides of whether or not to use a buyer's representation agreement. In the end, they don't hold much water. I know a lot of agents that use a loyalty agreement instead. The main reason for it is just so the buyer knows he is expected to buy from the agent that is working for him, and not just use the agent sitting at the open house he visited. Buyer's agents work very hard, and they deserve to be paid for their work.

#371279 - 03/31/11 02:54 PM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: BK Estates]
Devil's Advocate Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You may also wish to consider:
whether you want to be an agents customer or their client as there is a distinct legal difference, as an agent owes fiduciary duties to their clients, but not to customers.

Locally, where the law of agency prevails, the Buyer Representation Agreement (exclusive contract) when executed establishes a fiduciary relationship between the agent and the client, and without an agreement in place it may be difficult to establish a fiduciary relationship ever existed.

The law of agency imposes fiduciary duties upon the agent, of which there are a number of them, one being that they are required (by law) to act in the best interest of their client and to put the clientís interest above all other interests, including their own.

Where there is a breach or an anticipatory breach of the agentís fiduciary duty, the Buyer Representation Agreement may be terminated by the client without notice.

Agents may also be held liable by their clients for any acts and/or omissions that were detrimental to their clients.

There are benefits, in a client knowing their rights and entitlements as a client, as well as knowing the full extent of the agentís duty and obligations owed to them as clients.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This information is provided as basic educational information by the author and is not a substitute for the advice of an expert and/or the advice of a Lawyer. There is NO representation as to legality, accuracy, correctness of the herein information and the reader is strongly urged to consult a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction to ensure accuracy before acting on this information.

#372847 - 04/15/11 08:09 PM Re: My relationship with buyer's representative [Re: timothy1]
Zach Sikes Offline

Loc: Edmond, OK
If you are going to look at multiple houses, use a buyer's rep. With gas prices so high, a good idea is to interview different agents until you find one that you like, and stick to that person. After that, it is ok to sign an agreement.

One of the problems buyer's agents run into is showing many homes to a prospective buyer, then the buyer seeing another house and calling the listing Realtor. The buyer then makes an offer on the house, and the buyer's rep ended up wasting his time and gas money with the buyer. This is why many buyer's reps want you to sign an exclusive agreement. Most will actually work harder for you once you do sign.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
pam.cylinder, HR VerdeMFS, PMacpherson, Non GMO CRE, Reguru1
29799 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (pam.cylinder), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 68
Vermont 35
estatereal 15
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Trouble 11
waka 9
Analog Man 9
TheTexasGal 8