Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267111
No new orders today 13101564
Stupid MLS comments. 3276520
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189245
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061051
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028032
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822465
Let's talk about our cars 670832
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602663
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592239
Most common items found at an REO 575727
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440692
Main Street 419354
asset val seminar in colorado 407119
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340410
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306725
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#444347 - 03/18/15 01:00 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
m.s.Woods Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Update - I found a programmer to help me with my self-hosted IDX website a few years ago. It is a lot more expensive than using one of the many IDX providers, but it is worth it for me because I own the programing for both the IDX site and the back-end CRM. If you'd like to take a look, click on my company name below.

Advertisements
#444359 - 03/18/15 04:23 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
TRENDS Tony Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
They did a pretty good job. I'm sure it was WAY more expensive and much longer turn around time than an idx provider. However you do receive the benefits you mentioned.

For anyone else looking for this, you'll need to hire a custom development firm or a really good freelance programmer and designer. Also be prepared to shell out some cash.

The programmer will be required to have root access to the server. They can obtain the data a few different ways. First, they can use a 3rd party downloader (such as RETS Connector) that can handle the scheduling and spit out csv files that need to be parsed into the database. Second, they can use a library wrapper for their preferred programming language (such as phRETS for php or libRETS for c#) that require them to build the scheduler and make requests through the library and parse the response into the database. The third way (what I recommend) is to make the http RESTful calls to the RETS servers directly and parse out the raw response. This last method will be the most time consuming and complex, but gives incredible control of the data.

Getting the data in the database is only the first part of the beast. Now you must deal with (database) indexing, user interface, etc.

There is definitely a lot that goes on behind the scenes, which make it prohibitive for most agents to roll out their own hosted idx system. Hope this has shed some light on those looking to do this.

We are a newer provider offering high-end template and custom websites for real estate agents. Your website is ready in seconds and integrates our custom IDX that you can control. Currently serving the Central FL area, visit the website for more details.

#445679 - 05/26/15 07:48 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
YRP Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am new to building websites for real estate agents and I didn't realize how closely guarded the listing data is. I looked into idxbroker dot com and am looking at the dev program so I can offer IDX functionality on websites.

I've found that I can just get the data from the realtors local MLS without paying anything on top of their dues they already pay. Anybody have any insight into other ways to get the data?

#445687 - 05/26/15 09:25 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: YRP]
m.s.Woods Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
The only way I know to get IDX data is from the local MLS via a RETS feed. You can get data from http://listhub.com, but the rules are restrictive.

#446050 - 06/17/15 04:59 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
Anson Offline

Loc: unitestate
I've been using Realtyna MLS plugin ,they provide Organic MLS integration,The support I have received has been excellent

#446815 - 07/27/15 11:20 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
RealtorWebsite Offline

Loc: Multiple
Hi, Mike
I guess you could try our website templates. We focus on designing real estate agents website for listings. You could get your website done in just 5 minutes. We got many template you could choose from. Another feature of our website is automatically sending email to your clients with your newly updated listing.
You could sign up and get a try. It is fast and reliable.
Here is the link: www.getrealtorwebsite.com
Everything is done automatically for you. Go to the website and play with it, and you will find how it works :)
Real Estate Agent Website

Best Deal on Real Estate Agents Printing - 1,000 Business Cards $23 and etc
Real Estate Agent Printing

#449129 - 12/01/15 08:25 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: m.s.Woods]
LuxuryRealtor Offline

Loc: Ky
If you already have the RETS feed, and a hosting company, shouldn't it just be easy as hiring a decent consultant or designer? You have the data feed, you just need to make it look good, right? Or do I have not understand the question?

#449384 - 12/14/15 07:54 AM Re: Self Hosted IDX [Re: LuxuryRealtor]
TRENDS Tony Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: LuxuryRealtor
If you already have the RETS feed, and a hosting company, shouldn't it just be easy as hiring a decent consultant or designer? You have the data feed, you just need to make it look good, right? Or do I have not understand the question?

These data feeds don't come as the HTML markup needed to render listings to a website. You cannot just plug it in, have a designer apply some styles and be good to go. If you are talking about using a 3rd party IDX provider, it can be exactly that process. However, we are not talking about using a 3rd party, we are talking about self-hosted.

The data feed you receive is basically credentials to be able to connect into a (RETS) system and download raw data (using a 3rd party software, programming library or direct RESTful HTTP requests). This data has to be parsed and stored in a database on your side (depending on the data/board, this is easier said than done).

Also, many boards won't let you use their hosted photos. This means you also have to download the binary data of those photos, convert them to actual images and store on your own file system. In our MFRMLS feed, we store over 20 million photos. Your standard hosting packages won't cut it here.

Those are just a couple of the mountains you'll have to climb to obtain the data. Once you have the data and it's in your system, getting it back out (quickly and accurately) is another story that I'll save for another time.

So if you want your own hosted IDX, you'll need a good programmer first and a good designer to make it look good. Depending on how deep you go with the data (including sold, off-market, etc), you'll also need some dedicated hardware and a good DBA (database administrator).

I hope this has helped you to understand a little better why most choose not to do the self-hosted IDX solution. I am very experienced with RETS/IDX data and would be happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

Edited by TRENDS Tony (12/14/15 08:53 AM)

We are a newer provider offering high-end template and custom websites for real estate agents. Your website is ready in seconds and integrates our custom IDX that you can control. Currently serving the Central FL area, visit the website for more details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m, 995junk
29793 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dr.Brim), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 80
Vermont 40
estatereal 20
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Mr. Clean 11
Logan Five 11